Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 20:59   #826

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Sorry, noelex,

I guess some people don't read the commentaries, only look at the pictures!

If we manage to get somewhere swimmable this season, I'm going to have a very different attitude looking at anchors. I always used to look to see that my own anchor was set. Now I want to see how long it takes it to dig in and I want to look at others' anchors, too.

I have found your and the mermaid's thread quite interesting.

A plea to the guys who enjoy pontificating and disparaging: please go do it on another thread or start one wherein you can blather to your heart's content, but don't mess up for everyone else what has been a pretty good thread so far.

Ann
Old 29-08-2014, 01:21   #827

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Was it a tire? What was the stuff in the center of it?
Yes your right it is a tyre. There is a surprising amount of debris on the bottom in even out of the way places. Tyres are one of the more common objects. Some of the local fishing boats use tyres as cheap fenders and they are obviously lost overboard on occasions.

They are also sometimes filled with concrete and deliberately sunk as a mooring.

Sorry I did not take a close look at it, but I don't think it was a mooring.

In this case the anchor was dropped very close to the tyre. Given the Delta's long setting distance the anchor is not going to set before encountering the tyre. Debris like this can stop the anchor working.

This is one of the major arguments for setting the anchor. By applying some setting force you test that the anchor has not been fouled by something like this.

Anchors that take a long distance to set are more likely to encounter debris. There are also natural hazards such as isolated rocks and thick patches of weed. In addition these anchors also move backwards a long way as they bury deeper in response to a greater wind strength. So there is more risk they will encounter problems as the wind picks up, even if they are fine when initially set.

An ideal anchor sets very quickly and continues to bury with very little movement backwards. This is only one aspect of good anchor performance, but it is an area that has received very little attention, or comment.

Hopefully from the photos you can see which anchors set quickly.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:10   #828

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is an Ultra dropped by a 56 foot cat in 8m @ 6:1.

I did not see the drop. It must have anchored in the morning when the wind was light, but by the time my Mermaid went for her pre breakfast swim it had picked up to 20 knots providing a reasonable setting force.

The anchor had dragged about 15 m. It had moved about half this distance, dug in then broken out and dragged another 7m (judging from the drag mark). It was still slowly dragging with a large weed ball.

Old 29-08-2014, 05:19   #829
cruiser

Without going down and having a look first hand, anchoring is like rolling dice. And even then, if the wind changes direction.... You have go down and have a second look. No matter how much confidence one has in an anchor.. Sometimes you end up "crapping out."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 06:49   #830

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Canadian yacht sporting a claw came in last night and anchored in light weed.

The short drag mark indicates it was not given much setting force. I did not see the drop, but it was anchored overnight so the anchor had been subject to 20 knot winds. This normally enough to give the anchor a reasonable tug, however, they used a very long scope (15:1 in 5m of water) and in weed the chain provides some grip when there is a lot of it on the bottom. This tends to lessen the force on the anchor.

It has a very high list, but has started to set very quickly. It is burying in a promising way, but it needs a bit more force to come to any firm conclusions. With more force will it dig in further and rotate level?

Old 29-08-2014, 10:29   #831

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is the Mantus.

This is very nice softish sand and there was a 20-25 breeze when dropping, which helps add a little more setting force than our engine alone can provide. 8m @ 5:1

Once again another excellent set. The fluke and shank have disappeared leaving only the roll bar to show the anchor's location. It has set remarkably quickly in only a couple of feet.

Old 29-08-2014, 10:45   #832

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Hi, Noelex

Once again You are posting the photo of Mantus setting within its own length.
I do not remember a photo showing setting distance for Mantus even close to two meters (may be I forgot something).

As I remember You used before a Rocna of very similar weight.

Can You, may be, tell me if in Your opinion there is any significant difference in setting distance for Mantus and Rocna?

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 11:08   #833

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

In the Pacific North West - where I spend my summer with a Manson 20Kg on a 40' mono - many anchorage require stern tie, as most ar narrow bays. Anything further out is way too deep and unprotected. So very much a need for a fast setting anchor of good size with good holding power as ofetn the wind is from the side which increases the loads like on a tight rope. We replaced the CQR-copy that came with the boat after the first unsucessful anchor attempt (ploughed the same bay 7 times) with the Manson. Sorry no pictures from here as the waters are muddy and way way too cold (13Cº in summer).

Winter will be in the Bahamas, and I hope to show many pictures starting about November of our Rocna 40Kg on a 45' cat and the boats around.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 12:02   #834

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Can You, may be, tell me if in Your opinion there is any significant difference in setting distance for Mantus and Rocna?
Yes, the setting distance of the Mantus has been extremely short. It has been less than the Rocna in the types of substrates I have seen so far. The amount is difficult to quantify, but I would say a foot or so less might be a reasonable average.
Old 29-08-2014, 18:21   #835
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am a bit surprised how good the bottoms are for anchoring.

Are you particularly careful/picky about your anchorages and then about where you anchor in that anchorage, or are these "average/typical" bottoms? I expected more rock.

I am also surprised how clear/attractive the water is - have any/many of these photos been in town anchorages?

It all makes the med look more attractive than I expected.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 23:58   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
If you are in EU and fancy a Mantus then these are the guys to speak to

LDOST Marine BV
Teilingen 19
3334 BT Zwijndrecht
The Netherlands
Mantus Anchors | ildostmarine
ildostmarine@gmail.com
Phone +31654942796[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]+31654942796

In Norway

GIRAMAR
Klokkerjordet 2 1395
Hvalstad, Norway
http://giramar.com
Phone: 66 79 70 18[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]66 79 70 18

Sure shipping anything that heavy is going to cost a few £$€ but what price piece of mind. And Mantus have said their anchor will work without the roll bar.

Keiron
It cost $100 to ship my 25lb Mantus from Texas to Thessaloniki and took 8 days. (Direct because no stock of 25lbs in Netherlands).
Greg has used his own Mantus without a roll bar for a season with no problems - however product insurance is voided if it's used without the roll bar.
Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 01:33   #837

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Evans
The only time I have anchored near a town this year was for the first couple of nights after launching following haul out. The water clarity here is great, not quite as good as very best of the South Pacific islands, but very close. The downside is there is very little marine life, and of course no coral. I enjoy going for a snorkel so anchors are about the only thing to look at here .

Because you can usually see the bottom quite clearly from the boat when anchoring in less than 20m, the normal practice is for the bow person to select the anchoring spot. There are often areas of sand in amongst the weed and it makes sense to utilise these.

I am picky about anchorages, but they are selected for their beauty and solitude. In fact, many of them don't make it into the Pilot guide. My favourite spots are listed in the cruising guides as "not suitable for overnight", or they are just selected from Google Earth.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07   #838
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Here are two short scope sets.

The first is an Ultra with a 2-1 scope. You can see the drag marks. The boat was tied to the shore with a cat next to them, half an hour later the yacht was laying across the cat's bows. There was a bit of shouting but luckily there was no damage.

The second is a Delta that anchored just off our bow with a 2-1 scope. The skipper acknowledged that he was close and watching and had to up and move not long after the picture was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000502.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	87504   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000478.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	87505  

Old 01-09-2014, 06:23   #839

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The only listing for this anchorage says "This is a good place for a lunch and swimming break but too exposed for an overnight stop." That makes it perfect for us to spend a week .

Rather than a bay, it is a shallower area between a cluster of small islands. Unfortunately, like so many of these anchorages, the maps are totally wrong (it is 30m deep where 5 is shown).

There are several anchoring options. Most of the anchorage is deep (25m), but we found a small patch that was only 13m and it looked to be over sand. Sometimes this is trap, as isolated shallow patches like this are often caused by underlying rock and it may be better to anchor in the deep water. We gave the shallow spot a try and at 4:1 the Mantus set first time as usual.

It has set in a short distance with almost no heaping up. It has a list of perhaps 15 degrees. It has been a very roll stable anchor and I am not sure why the list has occurred on this occasion. I suspect with a bit more force it would level up nicely. It is well buried with only a small portion of the fluke exposed due to the list and most of the shank under the sand.

This anchor testing is tough work in locations like this

Old 01-09-2014, 06:41   #840

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Someone has to do it Noelex!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra