Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 11:05   #901

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Me too. Manson is an excellent reputable company and I like the concept of the boss, how is it performing so far.
We've had it two years so far and have really, really loved it. The only thing it won't set in is fist sized rocks. Go figure! Sets very fast. It's always an effort to break it back out. We sleep well.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:22   #902

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This was the Mantus in a new anchorage.

Another excellent set. It once again has dug in and buried this far in a couple of feet. The fluke is completely buried as is most of the shank. A tiny bit of a list and minimal heaping up are visible, but overall another great result.

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 00:59   #903

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This Bugel was from a 38 foot German private yacht. They were in the anchorage when we arrived and they spent the night. 7m @ 4:1.

The Bugel is doing a great job. The fluke and shank are completely buried with only the top of the roll bar to signify where the anchor is located.

There are chain marks leading from the anchor over more than 90 degrees. They all converge on the current spot. That indicates the anchor has done a great job of shuffling around while remaining in the same location. The setting mark was difficult to pick. I think the anchor was initially set at right angles to its current orientation and I think has set within about a metre.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:19   #904

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Our 45kg spade set at 4-1 slowly backing up until tight and then introducing full power astern for 30 seconds.
Spade is the best! Practical sailor ranked it third next to Rocna and Mason and it is comparatively an old technology and much cheaper.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:28   #905
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Spade is the best! Practical sailor ranked it third next to Rocna and Mason and it is comparatively an old technology and much cheaper.
We're very happy with it. Not sure it was any cheaper than the Rocna or Manson though!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:44   #906

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ben are you perhaps getting the Spade mixed up with another anchor.? NornaBiron's Spade is usually so well buried it is hard to tell what it looks like

The steel Spade is an excellent anchor.

This is a Spade:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	87967  
Old 09-09-2014, 03:48   #907
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Here's a couple of quick snaps of our kobra. It's been doing 180 degree turns over the past couple of days as we are in tidal waters. This is how our delta usually set as well so I'm a bit surprised by some of the less well set pics, but basically put it down to lack of care..
5:1 scope the weed is from the current which alternates a few knots from either way

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1410259663.016798.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	87976Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1410259712.187090.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	87977
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:08   #908

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A small private French yacht (36 feet) was lying to this Britany anchor when we arrived so I did not see the drop. They stayed overnight, but unfortunately left the next morning before I could get any good pictures. 8m@3:1

The anchor has taken about 6m to reach this point and is not very well set, but does look like it is ready to dig in. The wind light overnight, but they had little room to move back.

The Britany anchor can be a good and very cheap stern anchor (even the well made FOB series are not expensive). It has the advantage over its cousin the Danforth anchor that it does not have a long stock. This makes storage and management easier. Like the Danforth its holding in soft ground with a constant direction of pull can be excellent.

The lightweight Fortress is a better stern anchor, but if you are on a tight budget the Britany is worth considering as a kedge. As you can see, many French sailors are prepared to use it as a primary anchor (which I would not recommend). It does not seem to have gained much popularity outside France.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:37   #909
Marine Service Provider

Here are a few sets from yesterday.

The first, I'm not sure if it is a Delta or a Kobra but it is a great set with good scope.

Second is a Spade that I watched drop. It was set with little power but still achieved a good set.

Then we have the no power set
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000544.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	87994   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000542.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	87995  

Name:	P1000541.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	87996  
Old 09-09-2014, 06:41   #910
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I will comment that I in fact quite often simply drop my anchor on the bottom, and don't pull it deeply under, when I think/know the bottom to be good. I really only carefully set it if there is a serious storm forecast or if I suspect the bottom might be difficult.

The opinion on this thread seems to be that that is bad practice, but I have to say it does not seem to cause me to drag.
In the four years we used our old CQR, always setting it with power astern and watching transits, it only dragged twice. One of these times was in Tranquil Bay, Lefkada, Greece. Most people know this as a very sticky anchorage with great holding. The forecast was good and we had popped ashore, as we stepped from the dinghy we had a 60 knot gust from nowhere, we watched our yacht and home start to drag away. We powered back in the dinghy and reset, this is why we always set using 3/4 power. (this was not the horrific blow in Vliho of 2011).
Old 09-09-2014, 07:44   #911

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the photos. I, too, am not sure what anchor the first model is. It certainly looks like one of the fixed convex plow anchors and there are an enormous number of alternative designs like this.

I have been surprised this year that so far all I have seen are Deltas and Kobras. Normally there is quite a variety and I hope you have managed to photograph one of these alternatives, although it is possible it is just another Delta.

See if you can snap a photo as it is raised.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:54   #912

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This was photographed by my mermaid late in the day. Thanks sweetie .

It was dropped by a Lagoon 450 charter yacht. They are staying overnight.

It is a fixed convex plow anchor, but I am not sure what design. I don't think it is a Delta or a Kobra. It was not dropped going downwind so you can see a long drag mark followed by the anchor rotating in response to the actual wind direction. 6m @ 7:1.

Notice how the anchor has developed a very significant list when changing direction. Unfortunately the convex plow tend to do this which makes them more prone to breaking out when the direction of force changes.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:40   #913

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This was photographed by my mermaid late in the day. Thanks sweetie .

It was dropped by a Lagoon 450 charter yacht. They are staying overnight.

It is a fixed convex plow anchor, but I am not sure what design. I don't think it is a Delta or a Kobra. It was not dropped going downwind so you can see a long drag mark followed by the anchor rotating in response to the actual wind direction. 6m @ 7:1.

Notice how the anchor has developed a very significant list when changing direction. Unfortunately the convex plow tend to do this which makes them more prone to breaking out when the direction of force changes.

[IMG]http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag188/Sailing71/imagejpg1_zps4028bf2c.jpg[IMG]
Is that a soup can next to the anchor? Other than that one tire, this is the first real bit of trash I recall seeing in your pictures. That is notable in my opinion.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56   #914

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
Is that a soup can next to the anchor?
I hate rubbish and cannot understand the boats that throw this sort of thing overboard.

The anchorages here are relatively pristine, but there is still occasionally some unsightly debris like this. More relevant to the thread it can catch on the anchor and prevent it setting.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:40   #915

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I hate rubbish and cannot understand the boats that throw this sort of thing overboard.

The anchorages here are relatively pristine, but there is still occasionally some unsightly debris like this. More relevant to the thread it can catch on the anchor and prevent it setting.
Sadly much of the detritus we find in anchorages and floating around the seas we sail comes from our land bound cousins although it is true that some does come from boats. We've noticed a dramatic increase in the volume of trash around the Adriatic this summer, the vast majority of it plastic carrier bags, sweet wrappers and other plastic junk (including a bucket, 3 airbeds and a plastic chair!!) Given the volume of domestic trash one can only conclude that this stuff is floating down the rivers from the major conurbations eventually to settle out in our nice anchorages or tangle round our props (had that happen already this year).

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra