Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 04:17   #1036

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000655.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	88946While your all throwing anchor photos about, here's our Rocna in sandy conditions, 1:4 scope; 8m; power set and dug in like a charm. This anchor has kept us held in 40-50kt squalls.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 08:08   #1037

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

This is our Manson supreme 60# in 8' of water 4:1 scope hard sand bottom.
It dragged about 8' while I was still letting out the rode (about 2:1).

We rarely see the anchor around here.

Last weekend after being anchored with similar scope and depth but a clay mud bottom and 25K winds, I had a hard time getting the anchor to break out. It came up filled with a big chunk of clay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AnchorPhoto1.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	88959   Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorPhoto2.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	88960  

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:27   #1038

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
This is our Manson supreme 60# in 8' of water 4:1 scope hard sand bottom.
It dragged about 8' while I was still letting out the rode (about 2:1).

We rarely see the anchor around here.

Last weekend after being anchored with similar scope and depth but a clay mud bottom and 25K winds, I had a hard time getting the anchor to break out. It came up filled with a big chunk of clay.
Same problem with my 45lb manson supreme. It keeps digging itself deeper with no help from me. Brings up a ton of clay and grass most times anchoring in the Bahamas. I leave it just underwater while my crew powers ahead slowly to get the clay off. Best anchor I've ever owned in nearly 40 years of sailing, and I've owned many kinds.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 13:37   #1039

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
...As an anchorholic I am considering either a 25kg Rocna or a 18kg Knox, with the Knox currently the favoured choice as I won't need to replace my entire anchor windlass to install it, just the chain gypsy for a 10mm chain (plus it is British made ;-) ).

What does anchor choice have to do with chain choice? Aren't these independent? And why would an anchor choice require a windlass change? Or is the problem room for the shank?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 13:38   #1040

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
... The biggest bugbear for all anchoring is weed - I don't know how people cope with the giant kelp you find in the High latitudes.
Kelp always anchors itself on rock. If there's kelp, there's rock. You don't want to anchor there.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 13:55   #1041

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
For example, for my 40ft I have the choice of anything from 6.8kg - Fortress, 13kg - Knox, 16kg - Delta, 20kg - Rocna and 30kg from Mantus. Now all these are working anchors for normal conditions but there is a HUGE difference across the range. Obviously if we want to look at storm anchors then we step up a level or even 2.

As an anchorholic I am considering either a 25kg Rocna or a 18kg Knox, with the Knox currently the favoured choice (plus it is British made ;-) ).
Just for sharing:

In my very own spreadsheet the following anchor sizes are listed as suitable for Bavaria 40, Med cruising area, seasonal cruising:

Boss 27 kg
Excel 30 kg
Knox 27 kg
Mantus 29.5 kg
Rocna 25 kg
Spade 25 kg
Supreme 27 kg
Ultra 27 kg
Bugel 30 kg
Claw 30 kg
Ray 35 kg
Delta 32 kg
DTX 32 kg
Kobra 2 35 kg
CQR 48 kg
Plough 45 kg

Listed above are not desired weights of anchor of given design. but models in production, of the weight closest to the desired weight of anchor of given type.

I'm probably not only anchorholic, but also BIBoholic
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 22:56   #1042

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
What does anchor choice have to do with chain choice? Aren't these independent? And why would an anchor choice require a windlass change? Or is the problem room for the shank?
Would you want to hang a 25kilo anchor on an 8mm chain??

Main thinking for upping the chain size is actually independent of the anchor size. 10mm weighs more than 8mm so therefore increases the catenary effect, which can't be a bad thing.

As for the windlass, I don't need to change the entire windlass but a 25kilo anchor and 50m of 10mm would almost certainly mean my 1000w motor would be underpowered and liable to burn out so might need to swap out to the 1500w version. Not a biggie but don't fancy having to spend an afternoon with my head in the anchor locker if I can avoid it.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 23:09   #1043

Quote:
Sure, works great. By using 8mm (HT), I carry any extra 30m versus 10mm and still have the same weight.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 23:15   #1044

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
If the chain is strong enough for the boat there is no problems using thinner chain with a heavier anchor.

The reason to oversize the anchor is allow for holding in poor ground. The maximum load is dependent on the boat (size windage etc) and wind strength.

If you look say at the Dashews, they have always put the maximum weight into the anchor and tried to minimise the weight in the chain. I think this a good philosophy.

On their current 64 foot power boat they use a 110kg (243 lbs) Rocna and 10mm G7 chain.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:07   #1045

Thanks for the input on the chain size matter. Currently we have 50m of 8mm DIN766/ISO818-3 G4/BBB chain with our 16kg Delta. This gives us a maximum anchoring depth at 4:1 of 10.5m. This works fine for our anchoring habits at the moment but if I upgrade the anchor to a larger/better one I would like to increase the maximum depth we can anchor in to open up newer locations.

So I was thinking to replace the chain only with 50m of chain plus 50+m of rode spliced to it. As we would be changing the chain it made sense to step up to the next size. Well that was the thinking until I found out I'd have to change the gypsy and possibly the motor. Given this new info maybe we can keep the 8mm if I can figure out how to splice Anchorplait rode to it myself. Or does anyone have an alternate method of attaching chain to chain or chain to rode?

Cheers

Keiron
Old 30-09-2014, 12:03   #1046

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keiron,

the BBB chain is not equivalent of Grade 40 chain.
It is Grade 30 chain and can be marked as 3B or BBB on the links.
Very similar chain can be marked PC, PC3, G3 or G30

Grade 40 chain can be marked HT, HT4, G4, G40 or G43 (By the way - it is not high tensile chain, the HT here stand for High Test).

They are completely different - different material, different weight per given length, different production process, different tensile strength, different safe working load.

What Bavaria do You have? Older J&J designed version, or newer one, by Farr Design?

Cheers,

Tomasz
Old 30-09-2014, 14:18   #1047

Thomasz,

We have the newer BMW/Farr designed Bavaria.

The chain description is actually the gypsy description which shows it as G4/BBB so I guess it could be either G4 or BBB. To be honest I haven't looked at the chain itself for what it actually is, job for next week when I head back, but given the pattern of "fit the bare minimum" by manufacturers and dealerships I'd be very surprised if it were G4 HT.

Given this fact I think it wise to just go ahead and get 50m of G4 (8 or 10mm) with the anchorplait line spliced to it to replace the "unknown" grade of chain we currently have.

No wonder your average boater doesn't bother to change their anchoring equipment given the confusion between Real Life conditions, manufacturer claims and what manufacturers fit.

Cheers

Keiron
Old 30-09-2014, 14:56   #1048

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To stop a drift in this excellent thread posts relevant to new anchoring equipement for Bavaria 40 were copied, and new thread created to discuss this and connected matters.

New Anchoring Setup for Bavaria 40 Cruiser - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Cheers,

Tomasz
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58   #1049

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the chain size matter. Currently we have 50m of 8mm DIN766/ISO818-3 G4/BBB chain with our 16kg Delta. This gives us a maximum anchoring depth at 4:1 of 10.5m. This works fine for our anchoring habits at the moment but if I upgrade the anchor to a larger/better one I would like to increase the maximum depth we can anchor in to open up newer locations.

So I was thinking to replace the chain only with 50m of chain plus 50+m of rode spliced to it. As we would be changing the chain it made sense to step up to the next size. Well that was the thinking until I found out I'd have to change the gypsy and possibly the motor. Given this new info maybe we can keep the 8mm if I can figure out how to splice Anchorplait rode to it myself. Or does anyone have an alternate method of attaching
chain to chain or chain to rode?

Cheers

Keiron

It's actually very easy, providing you don't go above 14mm 8-plait with 8mm chain, 12mm 8-plait with 7mm and 10mm with 6mm chain.
Detailed on Jimmy Green Marine website. Take 9 links length of 2-plait and unravel to twins. Put 4 twins of each through the 1st link, then alternate the 2 pairs from either side of the other links, until you have no more.
It's almost impossible with used 8-plait.
It's equally easy to splice, though I've never tried end-to-end.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:12   #1050
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Here are a few sets from yesterday.

Set 1: a Bruce set with lots of scope with the owner tied to the shore. The Bruce bit well but the loose weed is stopping it from completely burying.

Set 2 is a Fisherman's, again with lots of scope and tied to the shore.

Set 3 is our 45kg Spade on 12mm chain, set at 4-1 this time using max power just to see how deep it would go

Both our neighbours' sets are very close to a sandstone slab that is very hard to see from the surface. Thus it always pays to dive or snorkel over your anchor if you can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000649.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	89107   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000650.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	89108  

Name:	P1000646.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	89109  

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra