Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 17:37   #1276

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ohh yeah... As I will be full time cruising this year, I will have my diving gear on board and finally bought an SLR UW housing which I've wanted for 10+ years but could never justify it. Decided to get an Ikelite housing and a Canon 100D/SL1. Hopefully I'll get some decent anchor photos this year.

Good option. Should get some great photos.

Nolex with the flash he shows he will not need red filter.

re freediving. Weights are need depending on your personal bouyancy. In 5 m I personally would use 3 standard weights and in 10 m two as your lung volume is compressed by the water pressure. Say a 6 litre lung volume at 10m you would lose 3 litres or 3 kg of lung volume meaning if you were neutral at surface you would have to overcome 3kg negative bouyancy at 10 m to swim off the bottom. This is potentially dangerous and where large freediving fins come into there own. I would recommend weighting yourself to be neutral at around 5meters if diving 10m. If only diving 5m use a bit more lead.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:53   #1277

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This island is an active volcano.

It does not really have an anchorage, just a couple of marinas. Yuk .

Anyway, Google Earth showed what seemed to be a possible spot and the winds were not very cooperative for our chosen destination so we decided to drop anchor here. The island is a bit of a cone so that even though we dropped in 8m by the time we had laid out 50m of chain we were in 25m. This sort of drop off greatly reduces the effective scope. See here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-137516.html

The Mantus held our full reverse setting force. Visual inspection the next morning showed the anchor had set in a very short distance but not very deeply. We will not be here long and holding our full setting force implies that the anchor is OK to at least around 30 knots.

The substrate looks like rock covered with a small amount of sand and weed.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:32   #1278

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Noelex, I hope you hold. That steep slope is tough to get a good set in as well as the negative effect on scope.

I had a similar situation when I thought I had a good set in full reverse but at 4:00AM a 40k wind off the land blew me right away. That was before I switched from a Delta to my Rocna. Hopefully your Mantus will hold better.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 16:41   #1279

Boat: Leopard 46.Sold. Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I also would like to see the Sarca Excel in action underwater.

No way it can be lumped in with the CQR, Korbra or Delta.

This is what they look like for those who aren't familiar, a very different anchor in the flesh.
Anyone for Sarca?

http://www.anchorright.com.au/certif...rTestChart.pdf
Yes maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:26   #1280

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes maybe View Post
Sounds like you. Do you sell them?
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 15:55   #1281

Boat: Leopard 46.Sold. Amel Super Maramu 2000

No Don't sell them.
I have used them on small power boats and they do seem to work better than plough and sand type anchors I have also used in heavy tidal flow areas in winds up to 25ks.
Was wondering if anyone had used them on larger sailing yachts?
Yes maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 18:16   #1282

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It would be interesting to see some pictures of them set, too. Preferably from cruisers boats, not advertisements.

A.
Old 03-04-2015, 18:54   #1283

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Hi Ann,

Hope you get in touch when you guys hit Sydney!

I watched (snorkelling) the set in 8 meters of a 30kg Sarca Excel from a 46' cat I was visiting. Actually several sets (as the owner indulged me ) over sand and weed. Sadly, no U/W camera aboard. Maybe next time though.

It dug in immediately with minimal engine set, and also cut through thick matted weed. On backing up with more and more throttle it did not keep plowing, it just went deeper. And it held the boat with twin 54 Yanmars, Brunton props in full reverse, again no plowing. Fairly impressive.

It would be fun to video with SCUBA a side by side comparison with other anchors as boats did a full throttle set.

FWIW, I did research the validity of AnchorRight's testing with the TATS sled and pivot bar that you can see on their website, and IMO it is totally valid, and the best comparison data I could find anyway. So at this point our new cat will carry an Excel primary unless someone can convince us otherwise. I haven't made up my mind on whether to get the aluminium version yet though.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 19:18   #1284
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Photos of Anchors Setting.

quote name="downunder" I also would like to see the Sarca Excel in action underwater.

No way it can be lumped in with the CQR, Korbra or Delta.

This is what they look like for those who aren't familiar, a very different anchor in the flesh.

Anyone for Sarca?

endquote name="downunder" post=1613911

I don't think the kobra can be lumped in with the delta if this test and our experiences with both have any bearing.
http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Ancho...st%20Nov09.pdf
I posted a couple of pics earlier in the thread of our 25kg delta and over the last year of using it full time I've hesitated to post more as pics of the shank laying on the sand with the flukes fully buried kinda look the same after a while
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:00   #1285

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A new anchorage and back to sand.

The Matus has set rapidly, with a reasonably buried fluke, but with quite a list. It is normally a very roll stable anchor. There was nothing unusual about the drop or set.

I suspect with a bit more force it will level up nicely, but it is possible the anchor has encountered an isolated subsurface rock . This is an anchorage with a lot of rock on the bottom, although I managed to drop in what looked like a clear spot.

The wind is predicted to shift around over the next few days and it will be interesting to see how well the anchor rotates from this position.

The dark patches in the background are elevated rock with weed growing on the top:

Old 08-04-2015, 02:09   #1286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The wind has been about 25 knots, but has changed direction about 45 degeees.
This wind strength is just enough to cause the anchor to rotate.

This photo shows the anchor has not moved in position but has rotated with the wind. It has levelled out completely.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:16   #1287

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Many think of large boats anchoring much more successfully than we do. I prefer deserted anchorages and do not anchor often in the company of commercial ships. When I have, they seem to drag at least as often as yachts. We have a lot of commercial skippers on CF, is this normal?

This was just a small commercial ship. It anchored next to us and dragged several times. This was only in 25 knots of wind . Hardly challenging conditions. After several drags they moved to the other side of the bay where they seemed to hold successfully.

I should point out that although they anchored close to us, the depths drop off rapidly so they were in deeper water. Big ships anchor very differently, relying on lots of very heavy chain with small primitive anchors. The techniques used from these vessels of such vastly different displacement cannot be compared. There are orders of magnitude differences that make scaling their results to our vessels not applicable and vice versa.

Cruising yachts are using state of the art high performance anchors and I suspect perform better than commercial ships despite the scale effects. Of course large ships have the manpower to appoint a continual anchor watch in even moderate conditions.

This is where they started. Despite the modest wind, the angle of the anchor chain is quite impressive:

Here they go beam on to the wind in a typical dragging attitude that is familiar to all:

Old 08-04-2015, 13:55   #1288

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

It seems that ship anchors are sized not to exceed the strength of chain, not the other way round: mariners prefer dragging anchor to breaking the chain. A stronger chain would probably be too heavy and costly.

The anchoring system of ocean-going ships is designed to hold them in moderate weather. In a gale or a storm, they are supposed to head to sea.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 14:51   #1289

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sandy Feet,

Would you please tell us what weight your new Mantus is?

Thanks.

Ann
Hi Ann it's 85lb (38.5kg)
Sandy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 18:46   #1290

Photos of Anchors Setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Many think of large boats anchoring much more successfully than we do. I prefer deserted anchorages and do not anchor often in the company of commercial ships. When I have, they seem to drag at least as often as yachts.

+1 it's not fun being in crowded anchorages but once in a while I can't avoid it. Cabo San Lucas in Mexico has many cruise ships that come in quite close (there is a short shelf then gets deep). I never realized how often they dragged anchor too!

We normally go to the far side of the cove away from the bustle but that evening we came in (to catch the water taxi so I could shop) with the herd. Having a cruise ship drop anchor close behind your stern in the dark is unnerving-especially after having fireworks sparks dropping on my head as we dropped anchor reminded me of all the reasons to stay away, far away.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra