Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 10:03   #1351

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

This is quite a weedy anchorage. There was no sign of any clear spots so I dropped the anchor at random in 8m @ 5:1.

It happened to hit the only sand spot, but it is quite narrow and the anchor has ended up in some medium weed.

It has set and buried very well, although it has taken slightly longer than normal (this is still only about a shank length) with a slight amount of heaping up.

There are a few other boats starting to appear as the season gets under the way and this very long drag mark was visible close by from an anchor that did not do so well, but I did not see the boat that caused this mark. I often wonder how people can drag so far before realising .

Old 31-05-2015, 11:25   #1352

Boat: Outbound 44

Here's the Tuamotus (French Polynesia) anchoring approach - tie pearl floats to your chain every 25 feet or so to float it above the coral heads. You get a few less wraps this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taheanaP5250159.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	102987  
Old 02-06-2015, 21:59   #1353

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Our Sarca Excel #6 (30kg) in coarse soft sand when we careened Seabreeze on the weekend for anode replacement.

The reason the anchor is at a different angle to where the boat ended up & the anchor is rotated with a bit of lean, was because we had a problem after we originally dropped anchor, backed her towards the shore & tied a stern line to a small mangrove on the bank. When the 2.4 metre tide started rushing out, the mangrove branch snapped off & we had to retrieve the warp & get it back onto a more substantial tree against the now fast flowing current.

As you can see we had no chance of getting her back to where we started, but least had her orientated correctly to the lay of the land.

The sand heaped on the sides of the Excel was due to the strong tidal current across the embedded anchor.

Dave

Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 00:54   #1354

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
Our Sarca Excel #6 (30kg) in coarse soft sand when we careened Seabreeze on the weekend for anode replacement.

The reason the anchor is at a different angle to where the boat ended up & the anchor is rotated with a bit of lean, was because we had a problem after we originally dropped anchor, backed her towards the shore & tied a stern line to a small mangrove on the bank. When the 2.4 metre tide started rushing out, the mangrove branch snapped off & we had to retrieve the warp & get it back onto a more substantial tree against the now fast flowing current.

As you can see we had no chance of getting her back to where we started, but least had her orientated correctly to the lay of the land.

The sand heaped on the sides of the Excel was due to the strong tidal current across the embedded anchor.

Dave

Now that beats the hell out of diving into cold water with an expensive underwater camera... just let all the water out, walk over and click away!

Good one!

Jim
Old 03-06-2015, 01:24   #1355

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Now that beats the hell out of diving into cold water with an expensive underwater camera... just let all the water out, walk over and click away!
Jim
Don't tell my mermaid
Old 06-06-2015, 08:16   #1356

Boat: Lagoon 450

Anchor hasn't managed to set yet, great wild life in the weed though [IMG][/IMG]
Sandy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:23   #1357

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great photo
Old 09-06-2015, 15:28   #1358

Boat: 44 footer

Noelex,

Could you show a picture of your bow roller setup?

I'm looking at the Mantus anchor, and curious what you are using with the 125lb.

Thanks,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:28   #1359

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another weedy anchorage.

The Mantus has set very quickly as usual. You can see the short setting mark in the weed. This is very important in weed. An anchor that travels a long way before digging in will collect a lot of weed around the fluke, which inhibits any chance of a subsequent bury. The depth of set is a bit less than normally seen in sand and the list is a bit higher, but the anchor is showing no signs of struggling to cut through the weed roots.

In this sort of weed many anchors will fail to penetrate the substrate below. The weed alone will still provide enough grip to hold in mild to moderate winds (say up to 25 knots). In order to hold above this wind level, the anchor has to be able to cut into the substrate below the weed.

Watch other boats carefully in this sort of substrate. If the wind rises, a number of boats will start dragging around 25 knots when anchors that cannot penetrate the weed start to let go.

Note: My Mantus is large anchor (56kg). This helps the performance in weed. The weed roots do not change size, but to a large anchor they represent a smaller obstacle.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:51   #1360

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Noelex,

Here you go Zach

The bow roller came with the boat, but it is a great design. Part of it is fixed (the part painted white) and part of it pivots ( the bare aluminium portion). The anchor self launches and it is kept reasonably away from the bow.

This photo taken as I raised the Mantus after a muddy anchorage shows it well:

Old 12-06-2015, 08:46   #1361

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Dropped the Vulcan in a small bay off the top of Otok Iz in Croatia. Bottom is sandy with plant growth (not weed but some kind of green fuzz). 22m chain out in about 5.5-6m water, so 3.5 to 4:1.

Anchor has dug in nicely with the reverse thrust we gave it. You can just make out the landing point to the left so a nice short setting distance.

Slightly clearer view of the land out

Closer view showing the blade completely buried below the substrate. This one was taken as I duck dived down as deep as my ears would let me. It's not easy trying to dive down holding a camera. Must remember my flippers next time

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:09   #1362

Boat: Lafitte 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Noelex,

I'm looking at the Mantus anchor, and curious what you are using with the 125lb.

Thanks,

Zach

Zach,
Mantus has released a new bow roller. and at less than $300 US it is a steal.. get it steel.. any way... if I could change out the bow roller on my boat I would have this one in a heartbeat. I don't have a pic on my at the moment. I saw it last week at the Mantus party. It is unique in that there is a 2nd smaller roller part of the way back that assists in making it self launching. Maybe Greg can post a picture.
Old 12-06-2015, 14:39   #1363

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

kas,

Thank you for the pics.

Ann
Old 12-06-2015, 15:28   #1364

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
kas,

Thank you for the pics.

Ann
Second that. The Vulcan is on the short list of anchors to replace my CQR, great to see some feedback.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 23:14   #1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Second that. The Vulcan is on the short list of anchors to replace my CQR, great to see some feedback.

goat
I was thinking 20kg Vulcan or Spade to replace my 16kg Delta but neither will fit my bow roller. The guy who does all of the work for me is snowed under so maybe I have to skip the upgrade this season

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra