Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 23:33   #1

problem with my lewmar 2000 windlass

Good morning

I am having issues with my windlass. We have power to the motor and when I active the deck switch one can hear the motor running but not turning the gypsy. I originally thought it would be the windlass itself but I can drop and lift the anchor with the winch handle.

Could there be a problem where the windlass meets the motor.
And does anyone have a exploded diagram of the lewmar 2000 with a parts list.
markcollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 00:29   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: problem with my lewmar 2000 windlass

Mark, had a look for an hour but found nothing.
But, being a 70 year old who was once a mechanic, who also was the owner of TWO brand new Lewmar windlasses.....bear with me.
Both my windlasses failed catastrophically whilst still within the 1 year warranty.
Being an expert with such things and not wanting to go thru the warranty gammut, I pulled the first one apart to see if I could fix it more easily with my own dollars.
But inside the gearbox were masses of components which would have been more at home in an alarm clock. In essence, it was crap. The distributor replaced it no questions asked despite it being in pieces. The new unit died the same death somewhat quicker. Lewmars reputation as a windlass maker, I was to then discover, is less than stellar.
I bit the bullet and bought a new Muir which is running like a swiss watch nearly four years later.
Now, the important part.
Your windlass is vertical whereas mine was horizontal, a Pro Fish 1000.
In your windlass there are few parts which can fail, in that there is hope.
BUT....I'd suggest you stop looking for a diagram and just pull the thing apart. Assuming skill.
The fact that you've made the enquiry suggests ability.
Not being there, not having heard it, my guess is that either a woodruff or half moon key has stripped, OR, a gear has stripped. New keys can be bought or made, new cogs/gears....not so easily. And you wouldn't be able to get bits if you lived next door to Lewmar, (guessing).
As your manual operation is functional my guess is that the gear on the end of the armature has failed but more probably the key.
Anyway, with or without a diagram, you either need to strip and inspect, repairing as necessary....or buy a new windlass.
It seems that Lewmar have less trouble with their vertical models than their horizontals, to be kind to them.
PM me for further assistance. I'm in Sydney.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, wind, windlass