Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 00:35   #1

Boat: Scampi 30
Puget Sound

I'm trying to get my boat to the columbia river for the winter. If you can offer help with that please see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-or-69221.html

Otherwise, I need to know if anyone knows a place in the puget sound that offers mooring for under $80 a month. Does not have to be at a dock, or even in the water. I am preparing to go live in Australia for a year to save money to set my boat up for cruising and need some place to keep the boat while I'm gone. I have a marina on the columbia for that price and a friend who will look after the boat while I am gone, but if I cant find anyone to help me get my boat from bellingham to there I need to find a place here in the puget sound. Thanks
sailingreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40   #2

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Its your boat ready for a trip down the coast in less than great weather ? what its your cruising range on fuel if you have to motor down ? you probably only have a couple weeks left before this trip becomes totally inadvisable . I just looked art g the forecast for this week , and friday looked like the only day I would try it . I have a prior commitment this friday . I have a friend who would probably be available to do this delivery . That could make three of us . My wife might be willing also . But need a little more info on your boat . Is the motor ready for a trip like this ? The window for a pleasant sail down is probably past for this year . It will more than likely be a rough ride and need to be as soon as possible .
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07   #3

Re: Puget Sound

Try All about Moorage - Port of Skagit.

They list $116 for a 30 foot boat.

I have heard they give one month free rent.

It's best to go there and talk to them.

Gordon
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16   #4

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

You might try and find a private mooring bouy to rent for cheap. Criagslist is a good source. Have you though about sharing the use of your boat in trade for free /low cost mooring? Inexpensive mooring can be found, it just takes some leg work.

If you head down here to Oregon, plan on a cold wet ride down the coast..
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I brought a boat new to me down in Sept last year (sea to pdx). It took 7 days counting a layover in Pt Townsend and one in Neah Bay due to fog that went clear to japan. No working radar.

The voyage is in 3 parts. Bellingham to Neah Bay - one very long day or more likely 2 days. The goal is of course to get to Neah Bay and sit there till you have a 2 day weather window.

Neah Bay to Astoria. 24+ hours offshore. Start at the crack of dawn and time your arrival at the Columbia to match the slack. Crossing the bar is nothing to be underestimated. Two days weather window so as to have the bar in "calm" weather.

Astoria to PDX at leasure. Two days typical with a nice anchorage anywhere along the banks with wine and cheese.

I'm sure that you know all this but I did want to point out that you do need 2 or 3 days clear sailing for the Neah Bay to Astoria lag. If a southern storm comes up (winter weather pattern) before crossing the bar you will find yourself heading back to Neah Bay.

Last time I was out in a Southern Gale there were 18' seas and 45 kt winds. The CG was looking for a sunk 50' fishing boat and we were flying north.

Regards, Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puget sound