Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 07:59   #31

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Re: Quick anchor windlass issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Trying to make use of an existing thread..

My Quick 1000W 12v motor needed new brushes and I replaced these with original spares. Now the motor has developed an odd characteristic. It either works perfectly or it works at 50% speed/power, in both directions. Although the "50%" is only my estimate, I am very sure (and please believe me) that it is consistent. If it was a variable degree of power reduction I would not be posting this, I would be concentrating on the power supply and cabling, etc.

So, assuming my estimate of a consistent 50% is correct, is there any way that this can be explained by the intermittent loss of one field coil and, if so, could this be explained by having a poor contact from a single brush?
Yes, bad contact between the brushes and the commutator, or a burnt-out winding, both tend to manifest themselves in exactly that manner - partial loss of power.

Since your windlass sometimes works perfectly, it won't be a burnt-out winding, which leaves brushes as the most probable culprit. Sometimes a brush can be so worn that it moves in its receptacle, presenting a different surface against the commutator, which then results in discrete power levels.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 17:14   #32

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

That's helpful, many thanks. The brushes are new and I suspect the problem lies in my reassembly. I found it difficult to avoid the copper ribbon becoming 'bunched up' due to limited space (excess ribbon when the brush is new) and this may be causing one of the brushes to stick.

It's a pain to remove and dismantle again, but always twice as fast when you've done it before..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 23:50   #33

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Where was the breaker location???
Hunterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 23:56   #34

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Does anyone know where I would find the circuit breaker for my windlass?
I have a 2011 Beneteau Sense 50.
Last night while paying out chain to moore, the chain bundled and clogged the escape of chain! I had a remote switch, and couldn’t really hear/see what was happening.

With the tug on the chain I realized something was wrong so I went to the bow to check. I unclogged the mess, but the motor was now inop. So I eased the chain brake and let it out manually.

Now...where is did those frenchmen hide the breaker!!!
Hunterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 00:30   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdog View Post
Does anyone know where I would find the circuit breaker for my windlass?
I have a 2011 Beneteau Sense 50.
Last night while paying out chain to moore, the chain bundled and clogged the escape of chain! I had a remote switch, and couldn’t really hear/see what was happening.

With the tug on the chain I realized something was wrong so I went to the bow to check. I unclogged the mess, but the motor was now inop. So I eased the chain brake and let it out manually.

Now...where is did those frenchmen hide the breaker!!!
You should start a new thread with your question as the title. Your post at the end of an oldish thread may not get noticed.

Good luck... someone MUST know (like the Bene dealer??)

Jim
Old 02-08-2021, 16:18   #36

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

I have a question for LONG Range. I have also problems with the same Quick 12 v 1000 W. What are the dimensions of the brushes. Is it neccessary to buy original or another make?
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:11   #37

Boat: no boat any more

"Now...where is did those frenchmen hide the breaker!!!"
maybe beside the other main switches?
Old 05-08-2021, 04:26   #38

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Angel1 View Post
I have a question for LONG Range. I have also problems with the same Quick 12 v 1000 W. What are the dimensions of the brushes. Is it neccessary to buy original or another make?
Try this link:

https://sparesmarine.co.uk/webshop/w...ndFilter=Quick

I bought the exact same brushes from here a couple of years ago. The old brushes were definitely in need of replacement but initially I still had trouble with the new set. Then I noticed the bridging wires which cross from one side to the other (with fabric insulation) had become almost detached from their lugs. You might want to check those too..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, wind, windlass