Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 05:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Quick chain counter sensor failure, bypass?

Hi all,

I have a lewmar windlass with a Quick chain counter CHC 1202 M. I was usint it earlier today, and now it is not responding to up/down commands. It looks like the magmetic sensor, or the magnet has failed.

Does anyone know if it can be bypassed? Just want to be able to use it up/down, not worried at the moment not to have the counter.

Thanks in advance.

Ray.
Ray. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:38   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Quick chain counter sensor failure, bypass?

I had the same problem and I believe I have the same chain counter. The setup menu allows you to override the sensor readings.

Let me check... Yes, I've got the same system. The link to the manual is at Zanshin Manuals

I can't find exactly what I did, perhaps I set it to slave? I do remember that I could raise and lower the anchor using the control right at the windlass instead of at the remote.
Old 27-04-2020, 11:25   #3

Hi Zanshin,

firstly I must apologise for my awful spelling in my initial message, I have a habit of not proof reading anything
Thanks for your reply, I looked online and as you say, it appears that the magnet and or the sensor have failed or dissolved over time and starting up the windlass for the first time since owning the boat, the vibration has probably finished them off.
I looked earlier through the menu, once I had downloaded the manual, but I couldn't see in any of the menu's where I can change master/slave settings.
I have ordered a new sensor kit, just about €50 so not too bad, its just spending the time in the confined anchor locker which is the only down side, plus as I am departing (hopefully) Saturday for a 2000Nm passage, so I would rather have it working correctly, if you should remember where it was in the sub menu that you found where to change the master/slave configuration, I will be grateful, even if it is just for future reference.

Thanks again

Ray.
Old 28-04-2020, 03:41   #4

Hi Zanshin,

just a quick update on my windlass situation....
I took off the gypsy this morning and it looked quite good, a little corrosion on the magnet but nothing significant. Cleaned it all up and checked it with an allen key and the magnet was good. I Checked the sensor with a multimeter, turning the gypsy by hand, and sure enough it was doing as you would expect, open circuit when the magnet was not present and low resistance when the magnet passed the sensor.
So now I was confused..... I checked the power relay, all connections were good, voltages were good, so then I thought I would check anything else I could.... I removed the plastic cover over the motor and to my surprise, only 3 out of 4 power cables had a securing nut/washer to the terminal on the motor, cant imagine how it ever worked for the last owner with any reliability!
Main thing is, problem solved and I will have my spare sensor kit to keep onboard for the future....

BTW…. Seriously impressed by your library of manuals..... I must endeavour to try to do something similar....

Ray.

Thanks
Old 28-04-2020, 03:47   #5

Ray - good sleuthing work there and congratulations. In my case the magnet had disintegrated so I had to replace it, and until that spare arrived in the Caribbean I couldn't used my remote and had to go back to counting seconds while dropping the anchor so that I could estimate how much chain I'd let out (I had put in colored markers, but they dropped out over time and I never bothered replacing them because the remote chain counter worked so well...).

I've got every single manual for every single item aboard as PDF files on my Kindle plus on a computer. I only put the ones that might be of interest to others on the web page. I've found that it can be hard to find the correct manual when in a hurry. A lot of the web pages pretend to have the manual, only to redirect you to a pay site in the end.
Old 28-04-2020, 06:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray. View Post
Hi Zanshin,
BTW…. Seriously impressed by your library of manuals..... I must endeavour to try to do something similar ...
Indeed, very impressive.
'ZANSHIN' MANUALS ➥ https://www.sv-zanshin.com/r/pages/z...inimanuals.php

I encourage anyone, who downloads useful documents, from links (links often go ‘dead’ with time), to then upload the document to our
CF Document Library Downloads:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/downloads.php

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 07:15   #7

Hi GordMay,

I agree it would be a great resource for cruisers to be able to delve in to an online cruisers library to search for a manual etc....

such a library exists?
Quite a new member but I do have several already from this year for my Oceanis 50 Equip...

Ray
Old 28-04-2020, 08:37   #8

If anyone downloads just one or two manuals from pages, they should be those in the "medical" section. Those PDFs on a kindle, PC or even a USB stick if there's a computer aboard could save a life or prolong it. And I recommend taking an "offshore medicine" course as well. Although having a shop manual for your diesel engine is rather helpful as well...
Old 28-04-2020, 13:31   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

@GordMay: I didn't know about that library. I too collect pdf files of manuals and drawings. I'll try to remember to have a look.

For chain counter owners: don't waste $50 on the kit unless you need a new clamp for the sensor. I bought a pack of ten replacement 8mm diameter magnets from China, very strong and nickel-plated, for a few dollars. I could spare a few if anyone needs a new one. The reed switches are also a common item, which I also sourced from China at a very low price. (IIRC I only bought a couple but that may be wrong - PM me if in need.)

AFAIK the chain counter part of the instrument does not limit the up/down operation, although the chain counter does use the information to know whether it is moving up or down. If the up/down buttons don't work it is highly unlikely to be a problem with the counter's sensors. My current problem is that the sensor is not working but the up/down controls do work. I need to do what the OP did and troubleshoot at the windlass.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 13:47   #10

Hi Greg,

obviously in the first instance I just took it as gospel, that what the chain counter was telling me was correct, the fact was that as the gypsy wasn't turning and the counter couldn't see the passes over the magnet, this created the generic 'bad sensor' warning.
In my case, it was for another very bizarre reason of one of the four drive motor cables not having a nut the secure the cable to the stud on the motor casing. Thankfully I was able to find it, rectify it and test it with a positive result. I only started to delve deeper once I had concluded that in fact, the magnet and sensor was in fact still working by a simple continuity test on the sensor.
Great tip by the way for sourcing magnets and magnetic switches.... I shall look in to it myself, but tomorrow I will get a spare sensor kit that I have already ordered.

Regards

Ray.
Old 28-04-2020, 14:44   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

If the motor is still accessible then consider painting the terminals with nuts using a liquid PVC coating. This will not only protect against corrosion, but will act to lock the nuts from vibrating loose.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 05:13   #12

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

Acording to the manual, you can override "sensor failure" or "no Sensor" by pressing the up-down buttons together for 2 seconds. "Sensoe Protect Deactived" will be displayed.
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote