Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 13:35   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Rafting in BC/PNW marinas

So after my big trip I am still a bit confused about some things, rafting practices being the chief among them.

We spent 3 days in Westview (Powell River) over two visits and apparently rafting is the norm there. Our first night there the office was just closing and the wharfinger said just find a spot on 7,8 or 9. We managed to snag one of the last spots, but an enormous (65') Fisheries cutter almost rafted up to the boat behind us and, since he was so long, to us as well. They didn't ask, but were quite polite about it and eventually decided against when the pilot figured his bow flare might take off our lifelines in the night.

On our second trip in the guy we were boating with told me to raft up to him as there was not much other space. That seemed reasonable.

At least two other Public Docks we visited stated that rafting was acceptable and a few other boaters mentioned that this or that marina did or did not allow rafting.

What I don't understand is the etiquette. I gather from conversations that rafting to fishing boats is fine but often unwise unless you want to be waking up at ungodly hours of the morning, but I would be extremely hesitant to raft up to a private boat if the owner wasn't aboard.

Am I just being paranoid? Is it really ok to just pick out a likely boat and tie up to them with out so much as a by-your-leave? Seems...rude?
Old 05-07-2014, 14:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Rafting in BC/PNW marinas

I sail up in this area and would never raft up to someone I didn't know well and recieve an invite first. In some boat yards, the wait in line to get hauled can get crazy. We have rafted to people we didn't know then, per order of the boatyard.
Much rather anchor out, or stay in my own secure slip.
Ya gotta have your space.
I mean this is vacation isn't it?
Just go somewhere else.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 14:25   #3

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

I am interested in the comments around this question too.

Back 25 years when I used to sail in BC at lot we used to raft all the time at government docks. It seemed it was a right - whether someone was on their boat or not. Similarly no one thought it rude if you came back to your boat and someone was rafted to it.

Not sure if things have changed, whether this is only public docks versus marinas, etc.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 17:18   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Click image for larger version

Name:	rafting.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	84470

Not sure of PNW etiquette, but its pretty common in other parts of the world. They are five deep here. It's polite to discuss like adults, to find out when they are going, weather conditions etc. Occasionally they will grump up and choose to leave rather than have to share. Fine! Often we would slip inside if someone else was going sooner, or we where bigger. Walk quietly over bows, and take off shoes. Don't drop engine oil on that nice Swans teak decks (don't ask how I know this one!).

We normally always used extra bow and stern lines to the wharf and made sure we where about when they wanted to leave, if we where staying.

Make sure masts aren't inline...

Swap phone numbers and offer to keep an eye on things if they are ashore.

All fun and games.
Old 06-07-2014, 13:25   #5

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Here, rafting is standard practice. Of course, the first question to ask is "Do you mind if we come alongside you?" and the second is "At what time do you leave tomorrow morning?" In the crowded marinas of W Europe, it's bad manners to refuse such a request.

Rafting is often managed by the harbormaster, who says "Yacht XXX, raft alongside yacht YYY". Yacht YYY has nothing to say.

I have seen yachts rafted by 3, sometimes by 4. In St Peter Port (Guernsey), we were 7 or 8 small yachts alongside in the dock. It was OK because we were sheltered from wind and waves. But the last time I have been there, we were 8 alongside the waiting pontoon, in a small chop. Lots of fenders were necessary.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas