Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 10:13   #1

Boat: Crealock 37
REAL life anchor rode/dockline sizing advice

I'm working to refit my new old boat (for simple coastal cruising), and would like to hear some thoughts on line size. The boat is a Columbia 34' with a displacement of some 12000lbs. The information I am finding online seems a little on the light side: According to the online chart from BoatUS - my rode should be 1/2" with 3/8" G3 chain, other sites seem to agree - also putting dockline at 1/2". The current lines that I'm replacing(re-purposing) are much stouter at 3/4". It is true that smaller lines would be easier to work with, and better fit the cleats - but I want a good feeling of security when moored in a blow. Before researching, I was planning all 5/8" lines and 3/8" chain - but if I can safely get by with smaller and keep my wallet a little happier, I'll go that route. Any thoughts, or 'been there, done that' advice?
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:20   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: REAL life anchor rode/dockline sizing advice

model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:43   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're using line for anchoring 5/8 is plenty. If you're going cruising I would suggest all chain but if you're not 5/8 nylon and 50 feet of 3/8 chain or even 5/16 would be fine. Now the big question is what anchor do you have? That's what you should start with. All that line and chain is not much help without a good anchor.
Old 19-06-2014, 14:59   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Tex, if you have a windlass, the maker may have published some recommendations for chain and rope sizes.

Docklines sizes are very often moderated by what works best on your cleats. You can gain strength (although slightly at the expense of stretch) by using double braid instead of 3-strand. White and gold double braid are stronger than other colors (per New England Rope and West Marine).

-Chris
Old 19-06-2014, 19:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

!/2" line is adequate for your boat though 5/8" would be a bit easier to grip. 5/16" G4 chain is more than adequate.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 20:41   #6

Boat: Able 50

Maybe the people in that big house can give us some anchoring advice

Click image for larger version

Name:	BradJanet.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	83447
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 20:54   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
... Now the big question is what anchor do you have? That's what you should start with. All that line and chain is not much help without a good anchor.
No Brad...err, I mean Tex, don't answer that question! Its a trap!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 20:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

8mm chain to 14mm rope, would be perfect. Good size for the boat and the best chain to rope match. It's also the best match to use in anchor winches but you'll want to make sure you get a laid or miltiplait depending on who made the winch. If not sure buy a top end 3 strand as that will work on more winches than the multiplaits will.

Your boat, if reasonably average, would be putting around 50% of the strength of a good 8mm G30 chain in 62knots of wind so if you go 8mm G40 that will drop to 37-40% so all good. A good chain will have been proof loaded to above that. In that 62kt you'd be putting around 55% of the 14mm Pro-Set rope load on it.

Personally I think the Samson Pro-Set is the best laid rope in existence. Sure it may cost a $1 or 2 more but it's now been well proven that if you look at the lifetime cost it's the cheapest option.

If you want more weight on the ground add more chain length. Longer of lighter is better than shorter of heavier so going to a 3/8" is a backward step not to mention serious over kill for a 34fter.

But as that smart fellow Ranger said - what ever you buy has to match the winch, if you have one, or you've just wasted your money.

NOTE: I am using good reputable chain numbers and specifically Pro-Set rope numbers. DO NOT use the same numbers on any old random stuff, you'll most likely be wrong. If you buy US made chain and rope you'll be fine.

Errr... to translate that into that funny old school imperial measurement system, that's 5/16" chain, G40 would be nice but G30 is fine. To 9/16" rope.

Docklines for a permanent berth, 3/4". Why not have lots of reserve for when it's blowing it's whatsits off at 3am. Docklines for travelling with, 9/16" is plenty.

1/2" rope to 3/8" chain????? Whoever suggested that needs to be drug tested... and quickly.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, dock, rode