Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 16:06   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Red All-Round Lights at anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Definitely think its an aircraft warning light, this is a snippet from some FAA requirements

Any temporary or permanent structure, including all
appurtenances, that exceeds an overall height of 200
feet (61m) above ground level (AGL) or exceeds any
obstruction standard contained in 14 CFR part 77,
should normally be marked and/or lighted. However,
an FAA aeronautical study may reveal that the
absence of marking and/or lighting will not impair
aviation safety. Conversely, the object may present
such an extraordinary hazard potential that higher
standards may be recommended for increased
conspicuity to ensure safety to air navigation.
Normally outside commercial lighting is not
considered sufficient reason to omit recommended
marking and/or lighting. Recommendations on
marking and/or lighting structures can vary
depending on terrain features, weather patterns,
geographic location, and in the case of wind turbines,
number of structures and overall layout of design.
The FAA may also recommend marking and/or
lighting a structure that does not exceed 200 (61m)
feet AGL or 14 CFR part 77 standards because of its
particular location

When you think about it, superyachts and helicopters go together nowadays.

Personally, I think its all about shouting out "hey, look, mines bigger than yours"

Oh, and white over red, that's the lights for a pilot vessel, not a vessel under pilotage.
Red over white, frying tonight
White over red, pilot ahead
ColRegs as an international treaty ratified by the Senate will trump FAA rules in international waters controlled by the US.

If I recall correctly Colregs prohibit additional lights which would cause confusion. Adding an all around red light that leads observers to believe that the vessel is a pilot boat or is fishing when in reality it is a sailboat at anchor would count as confusion.

If there as adequate separation between the lights to avoid confusion that would meet Colregs and any FAA CFR.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 16:43   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
are not vessels carrying dangerous cargo also required to carry a red all round light,ie oil tankers and munitions ships?
Vessels handling dangerous cargo will have an allround red. It's the equivalent of flying the Bravo flag during the day. You most often see it with tankers tied to the dock.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:51   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If I recall correctly Colregs prohibit additional lights which would cause confusion. .

Tell this to the cruise ships!! Although I have heard of them turning off all the fancy lights if another vessel says they can't make out their navigation lights.
Old 02-08-2013, 16:44   #19

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I was wondering about the red lights myself, having seen a few around the Baleric islands in the Med'. One particularly impressive yacht was the one pictured, anchored off Ibiza, which had a red mast light but plenty of other white lights, including lights on all of the five sets of spreaders, looked stunning at night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000879.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	65024  
Old 02-08-2013, 17:20   #20
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Random thoughts (of probably little merit or value!?) include...
  • agree ColRegs should trump FAA, but our reading of the FAA bit quoted doesn't specify red anyway...so an all-round white would meet both ColRegs and FAA?
  • same FAA quote also specifies 200' (61m), not 150 feet
  • think we also spotted the same vessel simonmd posted...and yes, it did look stunning at night!
...and last, but perhaps most to the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it is a penis extention light
  • what atoll said indeed...or perhaps they're all floating brothels?!?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

But Colregs apply only in the anchorage (unless local prevails). So these lights could be perfectly fine when the boat docked in a marina.

Now this: "...international waters controlled by the US." What's that? Is it not that International Waters are NOT controlled by any national authorities, which would make them ... errr ... International?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now this: "...international waters controlled by the US." What's that? Is it not that International Waters are NOT controlled by any national authorities, which would make them ... errr ... International?

b.
Not worded the best. Try this: Waters subject to International Colregs but within US territorial limits. So outside demarcation lines but within 3nm or 12nm or whatever...
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 10:44   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I note this is an old thread.

We are currently cruising extensively in the Caribbean. Last night in Falmouth Harbor, Antigua I counted 39 cherries. I am not sure of the height requirement but I have been told it is 100 feet at present. I also hear that reducing the limit to 80 feet is under consideration. I don't know who sets this. That would make finding our boat after dark much simplified. $18.00 red LED at marinebeam. As noted previously, most of these big guys light up the entire mast above and below all spreaders and all masts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4486.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	163107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4184.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	163108  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 20:50   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

They could be running a brothel???
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 06:17   #25

30.c A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 m and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.
N1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 06:43   #26

Boat: Currently in between

Boot Key Harbor in Marathon is below the Colregs Demarcation Line so even though most here are on mooring balls we are required to burn our anchor lights.

As I look around the harbor I see some red and some flashing white. Nobody here on 200+, I can assure you that!

Seems people just do what they want to do.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:11   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

The FAA only has jurisdiction within US airspace. If you want to confirm the rule for lighting requirements for obstructions as they pertain to aviation on an international level, then consult ICAO. The FAA may mirror the rule however.

Either way, it should be detailed within the Colregs themselves as I don't know of any requirement for a Maritime Captain to also be conversant on the regulations contained within ICAO.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:59   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Fishing boats anchored in the Grenadines display a variety of flashing colored lights. I think the choice is personal. The owner can always find his boat. One would have to be blind to not see these guys, thus, the intent is met. On the other hand, we cruising sailboats with a single white light somewhere up in low orbit are all but invisible to boats with the driver under a Bimini. It would far more effective to follow the lead of the locals with deck level lighting. We have found our steaming light illuminates the lower spreaders and mast. We also place Luci Lights at deck level. Lighted lifelines would be great. Also notable in the Caribbean is that as many as half of the boats anchored at night display no lights and less than one in ten dinghies have lights of any kind. We are the only people to wear or possess a PFD in the dinghy.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 11:08   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Fishing boats anchored in the Grenadines display a variety of flashing colored lights. I think the choice is personal. The owner can always find his boat. One would have to be blind to not see these guys, thus, the intent is met. On the other hand, we cruising sailboats with a single white light somewhere up in low orbit are all but invisible to boats with the driver under a Bimini. It would far more effective to follow the lead of the locals with deck level lighting. We have found our steaming light illuminates the lower spreaders and mast. We also place Luci Lights at deck level. Lighted lifelines would be great. Also notable in the Caribbean is that as many as half of the boats anchored at night display no lights and less than one in ten dinghies have lights of any kind. We are the only people to wear or possess a PFD in the dinghy.

I could not agree more. The all round white at the top of the mast has "evolved" as an anchor light due to convenience. Particularly with the automatic photo switch. ( ever noticed how many anchor lights are on in a marina?) I am pretty sure however that the rule is actually to have an all round white light in the "fore triangle" area, in place of where the day shape would be displayed during daylight hours.

I normally swap out my day shape with a lucy light. Also because my masthead light is incandescent and I need to swap it it out for an LED.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 15:11   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pete, you should come to the US some time.
Here, a marina normally is qualified as a "special anchorage" and by federal law, neither an anchor light nor a radio watch is required. Exact rules may be set by the harbormaster or other designated party.
So, anchor lights in a marina? Heck, we've got huge forests with not one single light in any one tree.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor