Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 12:18   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #288
Remanufactured Fortresses deals on the net

I've been reading the Anchor threads for a long time, trying to decide what anchor to put on the Lagoon 380 I bought used (had an undersized Delta for a hook ). After reading, studying, looking at every type of anchor known to man, the Admiral decided we had to buy two anchors to make sure all of us onboard, including the grandkids, were safe at anchor. Anchor #1 - I started looking for a Fortress FX-37 to take to the Bahamas this winter as nothing beats it in the sand. I noticed a lot of online sites selling Fortress anchors at a great discount with "remanufactured" and "refurbished" in the description. I called Fortress directly and spoke with Brian. He said that BP Oil bought a bunch of their anchors for the spill cleanup. Fortress purchased them back, ran them through the manufacturing process and are selling them at a 25% discount with a full lifetime warranty. I went ahead and bought one. WooHoo! BTW, Anchor #2 is a Manson Extreme 60# which you can get at a good discount online as well. So I should sleep comfortably on my Lagoon 380, no matter what the bottom I anchor in. But I'm now out of money and can't afford the Bahamas entry fee. Perhaps I can sell one of the rugrats?
vyc2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 14:58   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Remanufactured Fortresses deals on the net

Manson Extreme or Supreme?

The Fortress FX37 is an excellent anchor and we have one also. However, we do not use it as a primary in the Bahamas. In the thick sand here, all decent anchors work well. In all the other anchorages here, the Fortress will not be your best choice for a primary - weed with current changing 180* regularly, thin sand over hard stuff, etc.

If your other anchor is a Supreme, that will be a good choice as a primary, and your Fortress will excel in a Bahamian moor (if necessary - we have never found this to be needed), and as a kedge when you go aground poking around in the interesting bits.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #288

Yes, I meant Manson Supreme...
vyc2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:54   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

vyc2014,

Thanks for your post. We also have refurbished FX-85 and FX-125 models, and along with the FX-37. They are also available through Defender:

Marine Hinged Fluke Anchors (Including Danforth) on Sale

Boat Owners Warehouse, who have 3 store locations here in south Florida, are selling the FX-85 and FX-125 refurbished models as well.

Here is their contact information:
Boat Owners Warehouse Locations in Florida. Everything Marine!

If any boater is looking for the ultimate storm anchor, then look no further than the 47 lb (21 kg) FX-85 or the 69 lb (31 kg) FX-125. Both are certified as Super High Holding Power (SHHP) anchors and have achieved holding capacities of 200 - 300x their weight in anchor performance tests, one of which was conducted by the US Navy.

The FX-85 has been the primary anchor aboard the USCG's 87-ft Coastal Patrol Boat (73 are in service) for over a decade, and from talking with "Coasties" over the years, I know they have put this anchor to the test when the seas are too rough for their patrols.

The FX-125 has been the primary anchor aboard the USCG's 110-ft Island-Class Patrol boat (37 in service) for many years as well, and for their new 154-ft Fast Response Cutter, which displaces 353 long tons (790k lbs). I don't think that there is another 69 lb anchor in the world that would ever meet the performance standard required for approval aboard a boat this size.....but the FX-125 did.

For storm conditions, boaters will often deploy one of these anchors by dinghy, and considering their physical size, two people are definitely required.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG_87'_CPB_FX-85.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	112868   Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG_FRC_FX-125.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	112869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	154'_FRC-RBM-RBS.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	112870  
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:20   #5

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat

I have been wondering lately why anchors do not have zincs on them to resist corrosion. Is there a reason they do not have them ?
Philip St1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:53   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip St1 View Post
I have been wondering lately why anchors do not have zincs on them to resist corrosion. Is there a reason they do not have them ?
Steel ones are galvanized, which is zinc coating.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:44   #7

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Boats are not supposed to be anchored that long...
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:53   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
As Mark said the galvanizing is zinc. But anchors don't usually end up in a dissimilar metal situation until you use a stainless steel shackle. Therefore, they don't die of galvanic corrosion and thus a zinc would not do anything. Galvanized steel anchors die from physical erosion of the galvanizing and then the exposed iron rusts due to the salty environment. Rust is not produced by the same process as galvanic corrosion.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 06:24   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Philip,

I think that you might have been referring specifically to Fortress with your question, and you are right to be concerned about galvanic corrosion occurring with our aluminum-alloy anchors.

During normal anchoring use (as Sainted noted), Fortress anchors are not in contact with a dissimilar metal and a saltwater environment for a long enough period of time for this type of corrosion to occur.

Exceptions would be if the anchor was used as a permanent mooring, or it was stored below deck in a leaky bilge area while in contact with saltwater and a steel (galvanized or stainless) shackle or chain.

While working at Fortress for the past 18 years, those are the only very rare cases that I have documented where galvanic corrosion has occurred, and the damage has typically been more cosmetic (minor pitting) than structural.

I believe that our anodizing also helps to minimize the risk of damage.

In any case, we have gladly sent the Fortress owner new parts under our Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty.

All the best,
Brian
Old 13-11-2015, 07:00   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have one of the remanufactured FX-37s on my boat and I'm quite pleased with it to date. Certainly, it was pretty slick and unnicked out of the box. The story of my Fortress anchor use to date may be found here:

The world encompassed: Upsizing the old tackle
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 08:12   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The shank on my FX-37 has gone walkabout. Is that covered under the lifetime warranty??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 08:51   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The shank on my FX-37 has gone walkabout. Is that covered under the lifetime warranty??
Don, unfortunately not........but I have been known to make exceptions in very rare circumstances.

Please send me a PM with your address.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 13-11-2015, 09:25   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Don, unfortunately not........but I have been known to make exceptions in very rare circumstances.

Please send me a PM with your address.

Thanks,
Brian
Every time you post, I'm shocked at how great of a company you guys have

We're really happy to have Fortress in the marine world and on Cruisersforum.

Matt

P.S. When is Fortress going to sponsor a monthly giveaway on CruisersForum? I would love an FX-37 myself
Old 13-11-2015, 10:53   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Every time you post, I'm shocked at how great of a company you guys have

We're really happy to have Fortress in the marine world and on Cruisersforum.

Matt

P.S. When is Fortress going to sponsor a monthly giveaway on CruisersForum? I would love an FX-37 myself
Matt,

Thanks for your incredibly kind words, and back to you. Not to be overly sentimental, but being great isn't hard when you are involved in such a terrific fraternity of awesome, fun-seeking people.

Regarding the giveaway, I will look closer into sponsoring one, and thanks for the suggestion.
Old 13-11-2015, 11:11   #15

Boat: Kaufman 47

I bought a refurbished oil spill FX-37 from defender on sale so it was quite a bit reduced.. It had a few nicks and scratches on it but that's OK with me. I plan on using it too.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fortress