Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 10:10   #16

Boat: Union cutter 33
Re: Replace Quick with another Quick or other brand??

When we put a windlass on our 34ft boat we bought a Lemar rated for a 40 to 50 ft boat that way you can use the windlass to haul anchor without using the engine buy bigger than needed better than to small and can’t do the job
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 15:26   #17

Boat: beneteau 11.5

The next thing you know someone will say you can't raise your dingy with the windlass!
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 15:31   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by parado View Post
The next thing you know someone will say you can't raise your dingy with the windlass!
Or haul someone up the mast... forbidden in our Maxwell manual. We only did that at night so no one would report us (joke).

Jim
Old 30-10-2017, 18:31   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Replace Quick with another Quick or other brand??

The hoisting someone up the mast has to be due to liability.
I believe a device used to lift people has to have all sorts of safety devices and undergo some sort of certification.
Where I used to work many years ago to change lightbulbs in a warehouse we would use a forklift with a pallet to lift us up.
OSHA had a fit about that.
Just like using a windlass to move a boat to the anchor. I do as was stated, take up the slack, the chain moves the Boat forward and I take up the slack. However I’m sure if you told people it was OK to pull the boat to the anchor, some idiot would hold the button down for five minutes in a 45kt wind with the motor almost stalled and burn it up, and want it Warrantied, cause the manual said you could.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 19:25   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I believe a device used to lift people has to have all sorts of safety devices and undergo some sort of certification.
You'd think that would apply as well to manual winches used to hoist us up the mast! I've never had an owner's manual for a halyard winch, so can't say if the warning is there, too.

CYA is alive and well, and we all forego many industrial level safety standards when we go to sea in our cockleshells, especially when short or single handed. Mostly we survive, although recent developments (two girls and their dogs, etc) cast doubt on that as a long term state!

Jim
Old 04-11-2017, 06:03   #21

Boat: Hylas 44

I would suggest to bring the motor to an alternator/ starter shop. They could give you an evaluation and rebuilt it for you as needed.
I would also check the level and colour of the oil inside the gearbox.Two years ago, I had a similar problem on my Anchorlift Mako 1500 windlass and found that the gearbox was completely empty . I just cleaned it , change the damaged seal and refills it with marine grade oil and two years later, despite extensive use in the Caribbean, still work as new.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19   #22

Boat: Hylas 44

Another observation, the parts under the deck ( motor and gear case) move abnormally on your video. The anchor bolts must be tightened or replaced if broken. This situation probably damaged the bearings and the oil seals inside the gearbox.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote