Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 13:32   #1

Boat: Roberts TY 43
Replacement of Lofrans Electric Motor with Hydraulic

I have spent some years "cruising" through forums, hardly posting. But in my research for this project there was no discussion about this type of conversion. So, I decided to register and give back to the collective...

My windlass is a Falkon with 12VDC 1.5kW motor. I just added a belt driven VTM clutch pump to the main, primarily for this windlass and a pot hauler. There is plenty of aversion to using hydraulics from what I read of other's opinions. Here is how I arrived at removing the electric motor...

After a sleepless night on the hook, blowing 25-30kts with caps, swinging around between three other boats, two of them dragging, I hauled the anchor. The batteries must have been strained. I knew the short run to another bight would add some capacity, but I did not expect the resulting failure of ample capacity to restart the main a day later. No problem, start the aux, and charge away for a while...then realize the alternator is not putting out and replace it with a spare. After some more aux run time, I had enough juice to coax the cummins back to life. This was almost a three day event, and really messed up some good fishing time.

I have since completely rebuilt the battery system on board, but I have never been excited about having to re-set an anchor, and have limited my ops to only one down/up of ground tackle per day.

Existing electric motor works out to about 2hp at 2400 rpm on a 4:75 worm consuming around 80-150A. This is about 65 lb-in of torque at the motor.

Using Parker hydraulic motor MGG2-16, I expect to be able to idle the main and have similar output torque from the hydraulic motor. Also, I have additional flow and pressure capacity to provide 3750 rpm, 75 lb-in torque, around 4 hp.

The one issue I am down to now, is the custom mounting plate to go from metric electric motor mount to SAE 4-bolt, and a short jack shaft to adapt the motor to the worm gear. There seems to be plenty of room.

I chose to install a spool valve, mounted so handle goes up/down, that is spring return to center after up, but friction detent down. This way I can clutch out the wildcats, and use the gypsy without hand on valve. Hauling in would always require hand on valve.

The boat is a heavy steel Roberts, with all chain rode, so it's getting up there in weight. Just thought I would offer up my thoughts, in case anyone else was considering this type of conversion.

Brett.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0142.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	27597  
Norskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 05:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Replacement of Lofrans Electric Motor with Hydraulic

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brett.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 15:06   #3

Here is what the hydraulic motor mount looks like before installation. I had some success over the weekend and started hauling some chain, then a leak developed in some of the fittings. The clearances are so close that I have to remove the windlass again to access the fittings, so I had the pleasure of retrieving 225' of chain with the manual lever...45 minutes later the anchor was on board. That sucked.

I'll post a picture of the final installation when I get the fitting tightened.

BTW, I chose to use a soy based hydraulic oil, which is non-toxic and biodegradable. I'm glad I made the choice, even though it costs twice as much.

I can't say this was any cheaper, and electric is cleaner. I will say that I know there will be no electrical issues. The windlass seems to run a bit faster, but I'm not sure how well it pulls yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0164.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	27969  
Old 01-06-2011, 15:28   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome, brett--i am trying to trade my lofrans 1000 for another manual--i have one already but i want another.. am a greedy zeehag...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 22:10   #5

Well, after a summer of using the hydraulic conversion to the windlass, I'm happy to say that, well, I'm happy. I had to chase a couple of startup leaks, but things seem to be holding together.

I added a selector valve to either the windlass valve or quick disconnects to a hydraulic hauler on an aluminum davit. No problem setting and retrieving the anchor multiple times in a day.

Bottom line; not cheap, somewhat messy, no worries about over using the capacity like an electric windlass, and it made sense because I had more than one use for fluid power.

Sure beats using the handle! (sorry Zeehag)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0168b.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	31269  
Old 07-09-2011, 07:38   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

's ok norskip--- handle is good for aerobic exercise. i just dont like electric as those fail in worst moments. keep me posted about this conversion--i may do that with my electric instead of selling it..mebbe.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric motor, lofrans, motor