Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 14:09   #1

Boat: 42' vagabond
restricked anchoring, mooring in florida

its just been introduced into the florida congress that a bill if passed will restrict our boats from anchoring or mooring within 200 feet of a residence. that's most of florida's anchoring area. is there a boaters Lobby in tallahassee to represent our concerns?
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 14:11   #2

Re: restricked anchoring, mooring in florida

It was only a matter of time before they tried to slip this one in.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 14:45   #3
cruiser

you're late to the party, a thread was begun already:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-142262.htmlRestricted Anchoring Bill in Florida
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 17:50   #4

Boat: 42' vagabond

i just had found out and i contacted Boat US to see about a boaters lobby in
tallahassee. ACTION
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:33   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Seven Seas Cruising Assn. (SSCA) will be lobbying, too – they have been involved throughout the previous changes, the FWC Anchoring Pilot Program, etc.... If you're a Florida resident, contact your reps (SSCA has a trifold with talking points, etc..., from back when we expected new legislation to include a 150' residential setback). My latest editorial has links to the SSCA statement and the trifold, plus a graphic showing what a 200' setback would do to certain anchorages: Will many Florida anchorages be a thing of the past? located in Gulf Coast - Florida | Waterway Guide News Update
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:19   #6

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Don't worry, in 10 years you'll be able to anchor 5 miles in from the present shore line.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:00   #7

It's pretty clear that the real effect of this law would be to grant more water rights to land owners.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:09   #8

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

You would think that Boat U.S. would have this as a prominent feature on their web site asking all of us to react. I can't even find a mention of it. What the hey?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:10   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

BoatUS has been very active with regard to the anchoring restrictions in FL. They also have a lobbyist in FL who monitors the situation. I went on a tour of the St; Augustine experimental anchorage about two years ago with BoatUS and I was impressed by how the city had tried to work with cruisers. On that tour, we also saw more than a dozen derelict boats that were out and out hazards to navigation.

The problem, of course, is to solve one problem (illegal and sometimes hazardous liveaboards) without imposing draconian restrictions on legit cruisers. I don't know the answer, but it seems like very six months a new bill is introduced to try to limit anchoring.

Eternal vigilance is the price of cruising freedom?

Cheers,

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

to confirm, SSCA and BoatUS, along with NMEA, are the primary groups lobbying the FL State Legislature on this and other boating related issues. Of those, only SSCA represents the unique needs of cruisers. We need EVERYONE to write/call on this. Check the SSCA Home Page for details that are updated as events change. There is a PDF of the SSCA talking points with FL Sen and House committee member contacts for download. Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51   #11

Remind your elected officials that you vote and are aware of their position on this issue.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFORSAIL View Post
Remind your elected officials that you vote and are aware of their position on this issue.
That only works if you are a Florida resident and registered voter. People who live elsewhere or nowhere in particular can't expect to have much of a say in how Florida conducts its business except by spending their money somewhere else.
Old 06-03-2015, 14:50   #13

Florida is not the only warm place in the USA. Boycott the place for 1 or 2 seasons and hear the cries from the boating industry.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 14:59   #14

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
BoatUS has been very active with regard to the anchoring restrictions in FL. They also have a lobbyist in FL who monitors the situation. I went on a tour of the St; Augustine experimental anchorage about two years ago with BoatUS and I was impressed by how the city had tried to work with cruisers. On that tour, we also saw more than a dozen derelict boats that were out and out hazards to navigation.

The problem, of course, is to solve one problem (illegal and sometimes hazardous liveaboards) without imposing draconian restrictions on legit cruisers. I don't know the answer, but it seems like very six months a new bill is introduced to try to limit anchoring.

Eternal vigilance is the price of cruising freedom?

Cheers,

Chuck
Good to see your post!

Funny about St Augustine....sitting in St Augustine as I type. There are plenty of derelicts and wrecked boats around and it is a shame that all cruisers pay for the actions of their owners.

Hopefully support for organizations that lobby for cruisers rights improves. It sorely seems like all the random writings and boating magazine articles explaining the simplicity of the problem falls on deaf ears.

Again good to see your posts...miss the old times together at Annapolis Safety at Sea and Trawlerfests....

Thanks for convincing me to get into the marine industry....probably why I am in St Augustine and not buried in all that New Jersey snow and ice...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 15:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Good to see your post!

Funny about St Augustine....sitting in St Augustine as I type. There are plenty of derelicts and wrecked boats around and it is a shame that all cruisers pay for the actions of their owners.

Hopefully support for organizations that lobby for cruisers rights improves. It sorely seems like all the random writings and boating magazine articles explaining the simplicity of the problem falls on deaf ears.

Again good to see your posts...miss the old times together at Annapolis Safety at Sea and Trawlerfests....

Thanks for convincing me to get into the marine industry....probably why I am in St Augustine and not buried in all that New Jersey snow and ice...
St. Augustine is a beautiful place and does not need derelict or wrecked boats anywhere near there shore. However, anchoring and mooring restrictions aren't what are needed but US Coast Guard enforcement on sea worthy crafts and the prosecution of those who abandon unfit water craft for others to deal with.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, mooring