Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 06:19   #16

Re: Rhode Island and MA Anchoring

@TheOffice Block Island does permit anchoring. They have a fairly large anchorage in New Harbor that has room for a couple of hundred boats. Best holding is in slightly deeper water out by where the Tug anchors at the entrance of the harbor. Moorings are also available there but relatively hard to get if you arrive either near a weekend or late in the day.

Agree on it being busy it’s one of the bigger party ports around. Some people like that some would rather quiet. We enjoy both so well usually stop there for a few days and then head out to quieter places. If you do go to Block and anchor don’t be tempted to head straight for the really shallow water (10-15 feet) because it gets really tight with other boats in there. Much better out in the 20-30 foot water just bring appropriate anchoring gear.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:51   #17

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Block Island does not permit anchoring. Avoid it weekends in the summer. You can anchor inside the breakwater at Pt. Judith, but I don't recommend it.
Maybe Block Island is often too crowded for comfortable anchoring, but it's definitely allowed. The Block Island website offers 2 different areas for anchoring as well as talking about the mooring and docking options.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:45   #18

Boat: 1999 Catalina 36 MKII

Thank you all for the amazing information and advice, especially @DMF Sailing for your detailed advice and experience. This is very helpful and encouraging. I'm not going to be in any one place more than 2-3 days or so, so it sounds like I'll be OK in MA and RI.

So essentially, call the harbor master and get advice & direction, but otherwise anchor out and away from docks, mooring fields, channels, cables, and fishing grounds. That's what I was hoping to confirm.
crafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:51   #19

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafoo View Post
Thank you all for the amazing information and advice, especially @DMF Sailing for your detailed advice and experience. This is very helpful and encouraging. I'm not going to be in any one place more than 2-3 days or so, so it sounds like I'll be OK in MA and RI.

So essentially, call the harbor master and get advice & direction, but otherwise anchor out and away from docks, mooring fields, channels, cables, and fishing grounds. That's what I was hoping to confirm.
And if you need tips in Boston Harbor proper, feel free to message me. I'll be out there. The harbormaster here won't help.

By the way, 30 of the 34 islands are open to the public. Even the ones DCR stopped running ferries to during covid. If you have a boat, you can go there. And a few of them are safe to anchor off and neat to explore.

[Pictured: Spectacle Island, a favorite spot and open (to explore) year round]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66C537F6-8377-4E2F-8DE4-2AC5BE87AA9E.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	234147  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:07   #20

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The good number of yahoos who necessitate extra presence of LEs. Surely you know the type - doing 20-30knts in no wake zones, probably high on a number of stimulants, etc. Not saying that other boating regions don't have their share of those dimwits but Florida seems to attract them at larger percentages.
Trust me on this, they are prevalent in Massachusetts waters too.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:45   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Some of the towns will probably not let you anchor in their mooring area since you would be cutting into their revenues (mooring ball fees).

Cuttyhunk was a good example. Mooring inside the harbor was controlled by the town (a guy came around in a launch with a credit card machine).

Outside the harbor there were some privately owned mooring balls which a local restaurant (pizza?) owner would rent out, however you could also anchor since it was not under the town's "realm of influence...(LOL)
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:47   #22

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Could you please elaborate. I don't understand what you mean by a "Florida type" boater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The good number of yahoos who necessitate extra presence of LEs. Surely you know the type - doing 20-30knts in no wake zones, probably high on a number of stimulants, etc. Not saying that other boating regions don't have their share of those dimwits but Florida seems to attract them at larger percentages.
I would add to that definition the plague of derelict boats that cause anchorage restrictions to be implemented in the first place. The farther south you go, the more derelict boats you start to see, culminating in Florida which has a real issue with them.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:56   #23

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Some of the towns will probably not let you anchor in their mooring area since you would be cutting into their revenues (mooring ball fees).

Cuttyhunk was a good example. Mooring inside the harbor was controlled by the town (a guy came around in a launch with a credit card machine).

Outside the harbor there were some privately owned mooring balls which a local restaurant (pizza?) owner would rent out, however you could also anchor since it was not under the town's "realm of influence...(LOL)
Cuttyhunk is a bit of a rarity with the little guy in the boat who comes out.

Of course, Cuttyhunk has two super-convenient anchorages outside the pond. You have to watch the weather but you don't have to worry about the tide (yes, I've run aground in the channel.)

[the one depicted inside the pond is what you said, Sinnerman.]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.53.56 PM.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	234149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00293.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	234150  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 08-03-2021, 15:17   #24

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42

Quote:
I'm getting ready to leave my marina in East Greenwich, RI to cruise around RI and MA over the summer before heading South. I did some shakedown and day-trips over last summer. I have a general anchoring question.

Can I anchor overnight at any place the charts show good holding ground and free of cables, pipes, and other obstructions, or are there additional laws I need to account for in these states? Do I need permits for overnight anchoring, for instance?

What is the etiquette for anchoring near private mooring fields (all good anchorages seem to be filled with private moorings here), or off the shore of someone's property?

I'm going to be cruising and living at anchor, occasionally renting a mooring ball in a few of my favorite re-provisioning spots; Jamestown, near Warwick, etc.

I suppose it's obvious I'm new to the East Coast living on the hook lifestyle. Please be gentle.
I have a mooring in Potter Cove, RI you are welcome to use. I would need your vessel name and your name to provide to the Portsmouth RI harbor master to add you to a guest list.

See attached aerial image for morning location. The mooring is winterized currently. Was inspected last fall and some repairs will be made when prepped for the boating season this Spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PotterCovePC043.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	234157  
walbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 04:31   #25

I wanted to post a thank everyone for the very useful advice. I cruised around RI, up Buzzard's Bay, through the Cope Cod Canal, and now I'm cruising around the Boston Harbor Island exploring. I took my time and used many of the suggested spots everyone had. It's been great! Some minor mechanical issues with alternator and a parted topping lift, but nothing dramatic.

These islands are incredible. I'll probably stay here a week or so before going farther North.

I'd like to replace my 115' of chain with ~200-225' of chain to allow deeper anchorages. I guess my only real option for this is to have it delivered to a marina slip? Besides dealing with mail, resupply, filling water tanks, other liveaboard realities, cruising has been an amazing time so far.
Old 29-06-2021, 05:40   #26

Quote:
I wanted to post a thank everyone for the very useful advice. I cruised around RI, up Buzzard's Bay, through the Cope Cod Canal, and now I'm cruising around the Boston Harbor Island exploring. I took my time and used many of the suggested spots everyone had. It's been great! Some minor mechanical issues with alternator and a parted topping lift, but nothing dramatic.

These islands are incredible. I'll probably stay here a week or so before going farther North.

I'd like to replace my 115' of chain with ~200-225' of chain to allow deeper anchorages. I guess my only real option for this is to have it delivered to a marina slip? Besides dealing with mail, resupply, filling water tanks, other liveaboard realities, cruising has been an amazing time so far.
if you're heading North there is a West Marine in Marblehead, farther North there is Hamilton Marine with several locations in Maine. There is also a West Marine somewhere in NH.

West Marine Marblehead
32 Atlantic Ave
Marblehead, MA
Call: 781-639-6451
Old 01-07-2021, 09:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
if you're heading North there is a West Marine in Marblehead, farther North there is Hamilton Marine with several locations in Maine. There is also a West Marine somewhere in NH.

West Marine Marblehead
32 Atlantic Ave
Marblehead, MA
Call: 781-639-6451

That looks like an excellent stop-over point. I'll try to get some chain there. It's even on the way North, which is nice!

Does anyone know easy places to refill my water tanks in the Boston area? I don't see any free town docks around here. Is it standard to just go into a marina or club every now and then, get a mooring maybe, then refuel and fill water at their fuel dock? That's what I've been doing when I don't find a nice town dock.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2021, 10:11   #28

I should also mention Rose's Marine and Three Lanten in Gloucester both help you with chain.
Gloucester also has rental mooring, launch service and a new marine visitors center.
Old 01-07-2021, 13:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
I should also mention Rose's Marine and Three Lanten in Gloucester both help you with chain.
Gloucester also has rental mooring, launch service and a new marine visitors center.
and the harbormaster is a cool and understanding dude
Old 01-07-2021, 20:51   #30

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Rhode Island and MA Anchoring

I was talking about the Gloucester harbormaster yesterday. And saying nice things. I heard him bailing someone out of trouble on the radio.
Just for fun email info@willardandsons.com and ask about chain.
Laurie may have some on hand. He’s in Marblehead. One of the local mooring companies.
Be clear about what size and temper of chain you need.
He usually gets a big shipment in the spring so I have no idea what he has on hand.
Also check with the Forepeak in Marblehead. Another crapshoot but you never know.

If you go to Gloucester ( which I highly recommend ) remember it is a working fishing port. Not particularly quiet at night. But well worth the visit. They have city moorings and designated anchorage areas as well. All with swing room. Well protected from the sometimes nasty northeast.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, Rhode Island