Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2023, 14:31   #1

Riviera Muir Windlass-Anchor chain size

I have a Riviera 39, 2000 sport fisher with a Muir Cougar 1200 Horizontal windlass. It appears to have 5/16" chain. Doubtful it is original.
Muir website is not clear on what size chain will fit this model windlass, but it does say that an 8mm chain will be very close to 5/16". Also basic conversion tells me that. Muir lists the 8mm "links per meter" as 42 which equates to 38.4 per yard. Any Riviera USA owners that have had to replace the original chain?
Should I purchase 5/16" BBB galvanized chain for a replacement?
I don't want to make any assumptions.
BReseigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 15:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Riviera Muir Windlass-Anchor chain size

Does your present chain fit? doesn't jump out of the gypsy? If it does not fit right, the chain will be the wrong size, or the gypsy. Usually, one assumes the gypsy is the right size, and will replace the chain, but you have to take the gypsy with you and try various sizes of chain till you find the right size. The fit has to be good, the chain snuggled down close and smooth.

One time we had the amazing experience of being shown a whole bunch of different Maxwell 10 mm gypsies, none of which were matching! Did find one that fit our 3/8" chain, but it was a challenge! Based on our experience, I think you are wise to avoid assumptions. Take the gypsy and try the fit of the proposed new chain.

Ann

Tags
windlass, wind, anchor, size