Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2023, 12:32   #16

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C
Re: Rocna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Sjrider,

Can you tell us approximately what year your Rocna was built?

I ask because I have an early copy along with one built in 2020 (both 20kg). The later version has several small construction improvements that did help with fouling in some seabed types.
Steve
I bought it in the fall of 2020.
Old 21-05-2023, 13:01   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My Rocna 25 works so well that if I throw it in the air, it will set in and not come down...amazing anchor!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 13:37   #18

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I don't want to cast any negative comments towards Panope, his efforts are greatly appreciated. Perhaps it is better to say that a Rocna is the worst of the best. As everyone on this thread will attest, there is no need to run out and replace it! I have a 25 as the bower on my 43' 11T monohull, and it has made me sloppy.

We have weathered nasty storms, big wind shifts, and have used less than 3 to 1 scope when necessary. I use an anchor alarm, but it almost seems pointless. In over 8,000 miles, most of our nights at anchor, we only drug three times (one really doesn't count, as the admiral never left the foredeck). Three consecutive anchorages on the upper St Lawrence, until members of this forum pointed out that in depths below 20 ft, the seagrass makes anchoring difficult.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:42   #19

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

For the first time in about 10 years, my Rocna dragged in the Bahamas. Good scope, chain with long dual snubbers, dropped (and dug) into a patch of sand among grass--there should not have been a problem. A combination of wind and perpendicular waves made the boat ride the anchor more than usual--which likely wriggled the anchor out.

I ended up using an anchor riding sail for the next few months--and never had the problem again despite some very strong winds, over a prolonged period. However, I watched other boats tack through 180 degrees.

The 'ride the anchor' is a big issue for modern design monohulls. I am convinced it reduces holdability. I'm now reworking my homemade system so it is easier to out up and take down, perhaps even stored in a pocket attached to the side of the stack-pack since it hangs off the topping lift (not on back stay)
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:55   #20

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

will be anchoring in
Chesapeake Bay in my way to C&D next week.

Never used it in mud, any experience?

Have a Fortress could use.
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:57   #21

Boat: Gozzard 37A

I'm curious if all this praising of Rocna includes the Vulcan as well or just the roll-bar model?
Dave Bick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:13   #22

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

The 20k Bruce on our 43' express dragged more than once when anchoring in hard packed sand and another time on a clay bottom. It was noticed that the newer anchors were sharp at the leading edge but the Bruce had a blunt leading edge and tip. Our marginal anchor was taken home where an angle grinder was used to sharpen the leading edge. The same grinder was used to polish the galvanized surface to reduce the friction when penetrating. Cold galvanizing spray was applied to the bare cast iron to prevent rust. This simple modification made about 12 years ago changed the Bruce into an effective anchor which has had no issues with penetration or dragging. We've been in some nasty weather with no setting or holding issues but after a couple of notable blows, I have to admit, retrieving it has been a challenge - but it held. Mr. Bruce, Mr. Lewmar, are you reading this?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:34   #23

Boat: Beneteau 361

I was just watching the series of anchor test by SV Panope and really appreciate the scientific approach rather than purely subjective reviews. I would encourage anyone considering a change in ground tackle or experiencing issues with holding to review.

https://youtu.be/cPSQxoRVrIw

I think that the Rocna Vulcan is a top choice, but also believe that the Mantus M2 would do better in the mud tests if it were not for the two piece bolted construction and gap that creates on one side.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:44   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I think a lot of the performance testing is done on the smaller units. We have a roll bar ROCNA 54 (121#). It sets and stays put. It stays set through swings and direction changes. It’s heavy enough to penetrate thick grass.

We set in 11 feet with 120 feet of chain between Goat Island and the causeway bridge in Newport. Expecting a hurricane. We dragged on wild swings in 48 knots. Soft mud. We weigh 40 tons
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:58   #25

I dragged a rocna because the wind was shifting a lot, thus swinging us) and it was in a silt/mud, not sand. Happened several times in the same area
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:10   #26

Good to see you rockin' the ROCNA.
houseofcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 13:35   #27

Boat: Lagoon 450S

We were hit with a squall in Charleston, SC, with gusts to 62 knots. With our oversized Rocna 40, we didn't move an inch! Meanwhile, three other boats dragged.

SV Coronado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 14:07   #28

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

I agree with others about the reviews from Panope..
I have an Excel which he reviews well, but all anchors have limitations and I think the process of setting your anchor is vitally important.
All anchors will have trouble setting & resetting in weed.
Having said that the Excel has kept us safe for 5 years on anchor. I’m sure there are other good anchors as well.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:06   #29

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

I sleep well with our Rocna Vulcan 55 and the AnchorPro alarm on my iPhone.

Only dragged once with a Delta. After that it was large Rocnas on every boat
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:46   #30

Having used Rocna's I have no beef with the anchor or it's design. I DO have a problem with the sizing information they publish. My issue is hardly unique to them, most anchor manufacturers are at least as bad at this.

They very specifically say, "Our sizing is conservative." But it is not, really. The notes specifically say that the table was developed assuming 50 knots of wind. That's certainly "conservative" for a boat dropping a hook to do some fishing. Might even be considered conservative for a weekend vacation trip. But for a full time cruiser? Who has to anchor and take whatever comes? Just no. Aside from major storms, many is the t-storm or cold front that has winds greater than 50kt. It also bothers me that on a document of this importance to the customer there are basic typographical errors--in important numbers--that standout to anyone reading it critically.

On our 53 foot, 38,000lb boat we sold off a Rocna 40 (88lb) which was in line with the recommendations from Rocna for our size boat. We went with a Mantus 105lb. Although we do very much like the performance of the Mantus, we might have gone with a Rocna, except the sizing just didn't work for us. The next size up was a 55(120lb) and it was just too big to fit.

I appreciate that an anchor sizing table is a challenge for any marketing department. Bigger anchors will always work better, and will be more profitable, but you want to be sure your recommendations are priced in line with the other brands. On the other hand going smaller and cheaper can lead to performance problems that might cut into your reputation in the long run.

Mantus does breaks their sizing table down into what you need for various expected conditions. I think that's a big help, letting people who need a "full size" storm anchor choose what they need, and the more casual cruiser being able to save a bit of cash.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna