Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2023, 20:21   #46

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Rocna

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
That would work, but then necessary to have a back up anchor that can easily be deployed, which is a good idea anyways.

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 22:51   #47

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Great post! But one question, when you say “ the largest that you can reasonably fit and handle” does that mean physically or with the assistance of a windlass?

I would say that means the largest you can handle without powered assist.

If you have a manual windlass that qualifies.
If you have an electric or hydraulic windlass with an option to use manually that qualifies.
If the powered windlass does not have the option to use manually then you should be prepared to do without.
If you have worked out a way to use a winch to bring in the gear and occasionally practice with that system then whatever anchor and chain size that can handle.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 13:44   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve long advocated for having the largest new-gen anchor that your boat and your crew can reasonably manage. By reasonable, I mean an anchor that can be launched and hauled up, without resorting to heroic efforts by the crew.

I don’t think this necessarily means an anchor that can only be managed manually. A windlass, either electric or manual, is a standard part of the boat’s setup. It may break down, and it’s good to have backup plans should this happen, but this is no different for any boat system. As someone said, limiting your boat to sails that can be directly manually managed would be ridiculous on anything but the smallest boat.
Old 04-06-2023, 15:02   #49

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I spent some time with Peter Smith, the Rocna/Vulcan inventor, in Namibia of all places. Over a beer (or three, I don't remember) he said he fully stands behind his usage suggestions. He is also not someone who comes from a theoretical or marketing perspective. He is an accomplished off-shore sailor on his personally-built 53 foot aluminum cutter Kiwi Roa, which may be the most impressive cruising boat I have seen. Peter does not like warm places (unlike yours truly) and when we met had spent six winters in the Falklands or Patagonia. He was in Namibia on his way from Cape Town to Greenland. He has single-handed the Northwest Passage in Kiwi Roa.

To learn more about how his mind works you can read about Kiwi Roa at:
https://www.petersmith.net.nz/about/kiwiroa.php
Old 06-06-2023, 16:04   #50

Boat: Pearson 386

Much depends on the bottom, changes in the wind and tides. That's great that your tackle held for you but can you say it did better than you expected. What if wasn't up to the job on certain days, what else do you carry? I probably would be more comfortable with next size up and a bit more chain.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 20:01   #51

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We use a 15kg Rocha on our Bristol 29.9 we have been using it since 2018, very good anchor, four round trips to the Bahamas from Groton CT. Held us through Isiais back in 2020 while up Island creek not far from Cambridge MD, hit 60 knot winds, went right over us, we didn’t budge, it is rated as one size larger than the Rocna recommendation, we had 125 feet of 5/16 G4 chain out, did i say a very good anchor…,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:26   #52

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We don't have a Ronca but our Mantus has great results.
Old 27-06-2023, 06:18   #53

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

This thing really isn’t bad. I was apprehensive changing from my Manson supreme to a Rocna.

Pretty much the same results.

Right now I’m anchored in grass and the other day it came up with a huge chunk of grass connected to it still.

Last night I guess I got 50 knot winds and had infinite fetch in shallow water.

Didn’t move an inch. Very trustworthy.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 06:30   #54

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I've had some time with our new Vulcan 15kg with 30' 5/16" chain for a 32' sloop, with no windlass. I think is a significant difference in effort hauling in, even with engine assist, from our original 22 lb bruce + 8' of chain.

I am finding that I am reluctant to reset a third time if it looks like we should do so in crowded harbors.

However we are anchoring in deeper less crowded areas with greater confidence, and using less scope than before, due to the anchor, so perhaps the change is well worth it. The anchor seems to set quite reliably and we are happy with it. I can see why people like an electric windlass, but don't like the weight in the bow and the electrical complications.

For hurricane prep on our mooring I intend to remove it to take weight of the bow, reduce hobby horsing and to remove potential of rode snags and chafe.

After kamcdonnel's report, I would consider changing back to 20' × 1/4" chain, and I would do a really good protected chain splice rather than use a thimble.

I really like the buccaner 8 plait and the vulcan anchor.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:42   #55

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
We use a 15kg Rocha on our Bristol 29.9 we have been using it since 2018, very good anchor, four round trips to the Bahamas from Groton CT. Held us through Isiais back in 2020 while up Island creek not far from Cambridge MD, hit 60 knot winds, went right over us, we didn’t budge, it is rated as one size larger than the Rocna recommendation, we had 125 feet of 5/16 G4 chain out, did i say a very good anchor…,

Fair winds,
I know the area well. It is 6 miles from where I keep my boat. The bottom there is soft mud and anchors have been know to drag there VERY slowly. When they dig in deep they reach firmer mud and better holding.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:58   #56

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I've had some time with our new Vulcan 15kg with 30' 5/16" chain for a 32' sloop, with no windlass. I think is a significant difference in effort hauling in, even with engine assist, from our original 22 lb bruce + 8' of chain.
I appreciate your dilemma. Our last boat was a Sabre 34, with a human windless (me). My criteria for appropriate anchor size was "what can I easily lift." I settled on a 15 kg Bruce with about 6 ft of chain (short chain and all rope is common on the muddy Chesapeake.)

Some observations on your arrangement.
* For a given weight limit (without a windlass you do have a weight limit), the best place for the weight is in the anchor. 10 more pounds in the anchor is much more effective than 10 more pounds in the chain. Or, conversely, making your chain lighter is better than making your anchor lighter.
* Your chain seems very generously sized. Our 22,000 lb 43 ft mono came from the factory with 5/16 G4. While some references indicate this is undersized, Sagas have sailed much of the world and been sailed hard. 5/16 G4 seems up to the task. Your boat would probably be very well served by 1/4 inch G4.
* A curious fact I noticed when doing some chain research recently is that for a given strength, G4 is cheaper than BB. Unless you are specifically targeting weight in the chain, G4 is a better deal.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 12:43   #57

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I mistakenly went up to 5/16 G4 because I would have needed two shackles, dumb move. I think the 12kg anchor (27lb) is perfect but i can understand how 15 kg (34 lb) would be better (I had the kg wrong); and I do need the exercise.

Oddly, Pegu Club and km macdonald sail the same home waters, stonington/watch hill as we do.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:28   #58

so i have read many reviews and such on anchors but i dont see if there is a reference to whether it is polished or galvanized. is there a better finish to get?
erikj267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:39   #59

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

You really don't have a choice of finish. Polished pretty much means stainless, and galvanized pretty much means steel. The finish is a byproduct of the material.
Stainless is massively more expensive, and there are theoretical concerns with the suitability of the material. Not sure if that theory translates to reality.
Iron, which must be galvanized, is the standard. A small fraction of the price of stainless. It has none of the theoretical structural concerns of stainless, but it does slowly lose the galvanizing and will require regalvanizing at some point in its future.
No thoughts on how much difference smooth surface makes in penetrating the bottom. My galvanized Rocna certainly doesn't have any issues.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna