Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 06:14   #106

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Rocna Anchor Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I do not like the swivel to anchor connection (side loading) and would choose a different swivel or put a shackle in between.
Do you have a link to a swivel you’d recommend?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Rocna Anchor Failure

You weren’t asking me, but take a look at this swivel, if you have 5/16 chain get the S-2.
You don’t want anything weaker than the chain, and a swivel that is stronger than the chain and can’t be side loaded is rare, there are very few
https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-...EaAvDsEALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:01   #108

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You weren’t asking me, but take a look at this swivel, if you have 5/16 chain get the S-2.
You don’t want anything weaker than the chain, and a swivel that is stronger than the chain and can’t be side loaded is rare, there are very few
Informative link, thanks. Seems to be much debate over whether a swivel is even necessary. But if you're going to have one, this Mantus one certainly looks better than others I've seen.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 13:58   #109
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

The Mantus is a sweet swivel. Keep an eye on the seizing wire. In daily use the wire will fail in less than a year. I give them a look-see on every retrieval and before every drop. Belt and suspenders. Eventually they will break at the twist. The wire tie twist must get snagged on stuff down there, and bend the twist back and forth until the wire snaps at the spot it bends.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 14:01   #110
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Do you have a link to a swivel you’d recommend?
The Mantus swivel as recommended above does not have the problem so yes that’s the one to get for a stainless setup
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 15:40   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The anchor did not fail. It was the missing swivel, the missing 2nd shackle or even the shackle shown has a fractured pin but sprung back in shape after the anchor shank worked out.

Also, like others stated, the wrong type of swivel was used. Use every component galvanized steel or use every component stainless steel, do not mix types.

Also, do not use Wichard HD shackles, not even on stainless chain and anchor. It’s too brittle.

Could you please present technical data that supports your theory that Wichard HD shackles are to brittle?
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 16:56   #112

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Predictably, there has been a wide range of opinions about 'best practice' but only one point has been made consistently without contradiction in this thread - that you should not mix galvanised and SS fittings. And yet, nobody seems concerned that 'modern' swivel manufacturers use only stainless steel. The Mantus product looks like a superb piece of engineering but the brochure says nothing about materials except that it is made from 316 stainless. My guess is that they know that most of their sales will be to boaters who use galvanised anchors and chains. so if members here are really correct to state that that mixing materials is such a no-no, why is nobody concerned about this?

I suspect that the taboo of mixing materials is being over-stated here. After all, we are not talking about corrosion (nobody is suggesting a stainless pin in a galvanized shackle) we are only concerned with 'weak links' in the system. The relative strength of materials is compensated by sizing appropriately.

However, I would defer to the greater experience of others provided that this is real knowledge and not dogma..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 17:06   #113
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post

I suspect that the taboo of mixing materials is being over-stated here. After all, we are not talking about corrosion (nobody is suggesting a stainless pin in a galvanized shackle) we are only concerned with 'weak links' in the system. The relative strength of materials is compensated by sizing appropriately.
As a Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst I agree. Of course there will be a galvanic reaction between metals with different voltage potential but such reactions are very slow unlike stray current reactions which can be shockingly fast.

The inconsistent electrical contact and slow process means any damage will occur very slowly (possibly years) and normal vigilance would suffice.

That being said I have never experienced a need for a swivel and don't understand the need to introduce another "weak link".
Old 02-12-2019, 18:20   #114
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
As a Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst I agree. Of course there will be a galvanic reaction between metals with different voltage potential but such reactions are very slow unlike stray current reactions which can be shockingly fast.

The inconsistent electrical contact and slow process means any damage will occur very slowly (possibly years) and normal vigilance would suffice.

That being said I have never experienced a need for a swivel and don't understand the need to introduce another "weak link".

^^ What he said (I do API tank corrosion protection evaluations).

There will be slightly increase corrosion. As for the chain, just trim a few links every few years. It's good practice anyway.

I would always separate the swivel from the anchor with a shackle or some chain. That will also protect the anchor from corrosion.

So not much to worry over. But I don't like swivels. I had one and got rid of it.
Old 02-12-2019, 18:50   #115
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
Could you please present technical data that supports your theory that Wichard HD shackles are to brittle?
I wrote HD (or spelling changed it) but meant H.R. These (17-4 stainless) shackles are much stronger because they are hardened by heat treatment, which makes them more brittle as well. Here’s some data, look at elongation only 8% vs 50% for 316
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	828ECD04-0C9A-4E60-AA58-5AC74652DD6E.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	204251  
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
Predictably, there has been a wide range of opinions about 'best practice' but only one point has been made consistently without contradiction in this thread - that you should not mix galvanised and SS fittings. And yet, nobody seems concerned that 'modern' swivel manufacturers use only stainless steel. The Mantus product looks like a superb piece of engineering but the brochure says nothing about materials except that it is made from 316 stainless. My guess is that they know that most of their sales will be to boaters who use galvanised anchors and chains. so if members here are really correct to state that that mixing materials is such a no-no, why is nobody concerned about this?

However, I would defer to the greater experience of others provided that this is real knowledge and not dogma..

Galvanized! Ewwwww

*waiting on new swivel to get in
Old 03-12-2019, 10:07   #117

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Galvanized! Ewwwww

Stainless Steel. $$$$$ (and weaker). No matter. Nice looking front end on that boat, and suggests the rest is rather pleasing as well. But then I'm a sucker for traditional looking boats.

Speaking of SS, I heard "around the boatyard" that SS chain is less susceptible to "castling" down in the locker. I've made improvements but this is still a bit of a PITA on my boat (galvanized chain). Is the boatyard banter true?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:12   #118
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Galvanized! Ewwwww

Is that an anchor, or undersized jewelry for a dock queen wannabe?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Is that an anchor, or undersized jewelry for a dock queen wannabe?
Lol, I was actually thinking it was a little oversized

and it’s a little of both!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:32   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Speaking of SS, I heard "around the boatyard" that SS chain is less susceptible to "castling" down in the locker. I've made improvements but this is still a bit of a PITA on my boat (galvanized chain). Is the boatyard banter true?
Yes, stainless steel chain is “slippier”. If you have a problem with the chain piling up in the chain locker and jamming the windlass a switch to stainless steel chain will often solve the problem.

There is some good quality stainless chain available, but they are not easy to find. Many are poor quality despite the cost. Good quality duplex stainless steel chain seems to hold up well from user reports, but it is expensive.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass, rocna