Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 14:21   #1

Rocna Anchor sizing?

I just purchased a Rocna 25 for our Jeanneau 45DS. The pound rating is well within the specs for the boat (the correct size). According to Rocna’s site, these are conservative and the anchor should be fine. There are those who swear on upsizing (we will be cruising the Bahamas and SE US. Looking for some thoughts? Should we go up to the 33? (Harder on the windlass etc)
Speedbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:18   #2

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull
Re: Rocna Anchor sizing?

we have the Rocna 33 on our 33 foot boat... has been a great anchor, but I would still upsize from there. wrt the windlass, the chain is probably heavier than the anchor.
Old 28-06-2019, 15:47   #3

Is the maximum load displacement for this boat 14T? If so the 33 might be the better option.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:07   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

you will sleep better during rough weather with the 33kg. WE upsized our Mantus from 25kg to 30 kg and have not regretted it for a moment.

In 3 years on teh hook in every kind of weather except a hurricane - we have only dragged once - on Fatu Hiva, where everyone drags

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:27   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Our friends always say "if they aren't laughing at the size of your anchor, its not big enough." However what will fit in your bow roller often limits what you will want to carry.

You can get full scale templates of the Rocna anchors here to check fit:
Rocna and Vulcan Anchor Bow Compatibility | Rocna® Anchors
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:03   #6

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Do the 33kg, On your size boat it is good for anything up to 23T, I have one on mine and max we are 18T fully loaded with fuel, water, food, people, etc. Having that bit of extra size allows me to sleep very well on the hook. The worst I have seen at anchor thus far was a 40 knot blow anchored up in the deep hole on Block Island, a spot pretty well known to have less than awesome hold, we didn't budge an inch while a number of boats around us dragged a little and a few dragged a whole lot.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:18   #7

We had a 25kg Rocna on our Catalina 42 last Bahamas trip. After getting hit with a 70 knot squall at anchor one day, we were wishing we had bought the 33kg. It held, but we were off an ironshore lee beach and the wait to see if it was going to drag was not fun.

Our present 42 power boat has an 85 lb Mantus.
Old 28-06-2019, 17:21   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
I just purchased a Rocna 25 for our Jeanneau 45DS. The pound rating is well within the specs for the boat (the correct size). According to Rocna’s site, these are conservative and the anchor should be fine. There are those who swear on upsizing (we will be cruising the Bahamas and SE US. Looking for some thoughts? Should we go up to the 33? (Harder on the windlass etc)

I have a 40 kg on our Island Packet 38’. It sits beside of the 33, it was bought for storms, but ended up being our primary.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:27   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

As a cruiser you are at anchor more than sailing. A lot more. For peace of mind go as big as will fit in your bow roller. You've made the right decision going with a modern anchor. I never hear bad things about Rocna, Mantus or Ultra (my current). I'm sure there are other great ones, but surprisingly some of the most popular aren't that great. Dragging ashore one night while asleep is probably not good.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:37   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We had a 25kg Rocna on our Catalina 42 last Bahamas trip. After getting hit with a 70 knot squall at anchor one day, we were wishing we had bought the 33kg. It held, but we were off an ironshore lee beach and the wait to see if it was going to drag was not fun.

Our present 42 power boat has an 85 lb Mantus.
I don't get it! You successfully sat out a 70 knot blow with your present anchor, so now you think you would be better off with a bigger one???

Perhaps so, but why stop at a mere one size over? Why not bigger yet?

A certain amount of common sense should prevail in these decisions, and the extrapolation that you suggest fails that test, at least to me.

I'll agree that the larger anchor (if it physically fits) won't be a problem for the windlass, etc, but don't see the necessity for it.

And FWIW, we use a 60 lb Supreme on our 46 ft ~12 tonne moderate windage yacht, and we have lived at anchor in this boat for over 16 years now. Two instances of dragging in anger,both in slushy,thin river mud, and one other time during a flood (on the same river) with 6 knots of current and several tons of weed piled up on our bow and chain. That anchor is the recommended size for our boat.

Jim
Old 28-06-2019, 17:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't get it! You successfully sat out a 70 knot blow with your present anchor, so now you think you would be better off with a bigger one???

Perhaps so, but why stop at a mere one size over? Why not bigger yet?

A certain amount of common sense should prevail in these decisions, and the extrapolation that you suggest fails that test, at least to me.

I'll agree that the larger anchor (if it physically fits) won't be a problem for the windlass, etc, but don't see the necessity for it.

And FWIW, we use a 60 lb Supreme on our 46 ft ~12 tonne moderate windage yacht, and we have lived at anchor in this boat for over 16 years now. Two instances of dragging in anger,both in slushy,thin river mud, and one other time during a flood (on the same river) with 6 knots of current and several tons of weed piled up on our bow and chain. That anchor is the recommended size for our boat.

Jim
In other words, you disagree. Okay.
Old 28-06-2019, 17:43   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

I have a 60lb Manson Supreme on my Catalina 470. I anchor fulltime and so far have never had a problem.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:44   #13

Thank you all for the responses. Just ordered the 33 while it’s still on sale! I feel much better now. Fingers crossed that the bow sprit works with it.

I’m sure the 25 would have done 90+% of what we need, and the 33 will if nothing else be piece of mind. See you all out there someday, wherever that is!
Speedbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Rocna Anchor sizing?

Being big doesn’t make up for being improperly set or not enough scope etc.
We drug our 88 lb Rocna in about 8’ of water with 100’ or more of chain out, in soupy mud. I didn’t back down on it much cause I can drag it all over the place in that mud.
We were never in danger, worst case if we drug 300’ or so we would have gone aground in that soft mud.
Best I can figure was I dropped the anchor on its back, and the mud was so soft it just sank in the roll bar had no chance to roll it over as it just sank in.

So, no matter what, be paranoid about being near an iron shore, it was what bothered me in the Bahamas myself, often times there wasn’t anywhere else to anchor really.

I bought the big anchor to sit out Named Storms, and did a couple, but luckily they missed. It wasn’t meant to be primary, but as my boat doesn’t hobby horse with 73kg of anchor up there, I just started using it as primary.

I guess I got wordy, but all I was trying to say is that size won’t make up for being sloppy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 18:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess I got wordy, but all I was trying to say is that size won’t make up for being sloppy
No, but like in a fight, all things being equal, a good big man will beat a good smaller man, most of the time (it's why they have weight classes in the first place).

Tags
anchor, rocna