Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 11:29   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Rocna made in PRC

I purchased I think a Mantus online from Defender under the AC deal of the week, got a phone call telling me they had sold out, would I take a Rocna. I don'think the bottom has cared.
I say buy whichever one you can get the best deal on.

But the missing hole for zinc plating has me wondering, mine has it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:01   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 13m aluminium sloop

A friend with an 8-year-old Rocna got his bow somehow blown onto a wharf as he was manoeuvering recently and his anchor hit one of the wooden piles. It smashed a piece off one of the flukes, which then fell onto the deck. He showed it to me afterwards.
The break showed a coarse crystalline structure, like a brittle casting, not forged steel. That anchor had the Rocna logo embossed into it. The local dealer replaced it immediately, no discussion.

My chain is Canadian CMP G30-grade 13mm DIN766... made in China. I objected to this when purchasing it and we agreed to get a local independent test certificate. It exceeded G40 specs. The links and galvanising were superb.

It is definitely possible to manufacture good products in China at a much more competitive cost. The key is in controlling raw materials and all aspects of the process.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:10   #33

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

As a merchant marine engineer I have been to Asia countless times over the decades, and done many shipyard periods over there. Japanese shipyard engineers told us there was a huge problem in Asia with counterfeit materials, (they even included Japan in that statement, but said the problem was worse in specific countries, especially China). A Port Engineer who dealt with Chinese shipyards once told me, "You get what you INSPECT, not what you EXPECT". The Chinese are capable of very fine work, but it takes continuous oversight to make sure it is so.

I have a NZ made 33kg Rocna, a fine anchor.
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34   #34

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
As a merchant marine engineer I have been to Asia countless times over the decades, and done many shipyard periods over there. Japanese shipyard engineers told us there was a huge problem in Asia with counterfeit materials, (they even included Japan in that statement, but said the problem was worse in specific countries, especially China). A Port Engineer who dealt with Chinese shipyards once told me, "You get what you INSPECT, not what you EXPECT". The Chinese are capable of very fine work, but it takes continuous oversight to make sure it is so.

I have a NZ made 33kg Rocna, a fine anchor.
There is a huge problem throughout the planet of counterfeit just about everything coming from China. But that doesn't mean you can't get high quality products from China. What is happening, is some Western executive is making lots of money from products being made in China. But that's the free world we live in.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would be surprised if any of these nex gen anchors were forged? I'd suspect cast or welded from hot or cold rolled plate
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 13:19   #36

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but when it comes to ground tackle [especially] I want to see: Made in Scotland, NZ, UK, or USA.

Say what you will, but peace of mind in a tough spot is hard to put a value on...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 13:54   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Agreed.......its similar to sizing - we use an anchor rated for storm conditions as our primary. We use a Mantus 85lb - its a beast but we feel very happy knowing its down there doing its thing. The boat came with a 75lb CQR which we have not used once since buying the Mantus.
Also have a Fortress FX-55 and a genuine Luke fishermans. The Fortress see's regular use as well. All are quality bits of kit - but we shall sell the CQR one of these days as its just too heavy to justify keeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but when it comes to ground tackle [especially] I want to see: Made in Scotland, NZ, UK, or USA.

Say what you will, but peace of mind in a tough spot is hard to put a value on...
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:06   #38

I'm with you Bulawayo, I have a 35lb. CQR as primary, a 30kg. Bruce storm anchor, an original [made in Berkely Ca.] Danforth of approx 20lb., a 50 and 30lb, US made fishermen, 5/16 grade 40 hi-test chain on a 10 ton boat.

I may be old fashioned, but one cannot have too many anchors! LOL!
Old 03-11-2015, 14:16   #39

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

In a nutshell, Rocnas were built in NZ prior to 2007 - small scale with good oversight. From 2007 - 2011 they were built under license by Hold Fast, a Kiwi company that had them manufactured in China without sufficient quality control; these were the sketchy years. Since late 2011, CMP (Canadian) has held the license and has them built in China with solid oversight from the smelting of the raw materials through all stages of production. It's not like they're keeping it a secret: Rocna re-licensing & historical steel quality issues

I like my Rocna.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:21   #40

All this talk of bad metallurgy makes me want to hold onto my CQR for good. I trust Scottish engineering over Chinese, any day. (apart from a slight blip when it came to the Tay Bridge.....)
Old 03-11-2015, 14:30   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I do sometimes wonder how much performance I lose with all our safety gear!

Quote:
I'm with you Bulawayo, I have a 35lb. CQR as primary, a 30kg. Bruce storm anchor, an original [made in Berkely Ca.] Danforth of approx 20lb., a 50 and 30lb, US made fishermen, 5/16 grade 40 hi-test chain on a 10 ton boat.

Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 14:39   #42

Quote:

Good grief. Does the boat still float?
Old 03-11-2015, 14:50   #43

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegman View Post
Concern over quality control in China is one reason why I chose to buy a Manson Supreme, rather than a Rocna. The Manson is manufactured in New Zealand. Prices are comparable to Rocna.
Hear, hear....Purchased a 60 lb Mason Supreme. Very good quality fair price a holds like no other anchor I've owned.
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 17:00   #44

Boat: Ranger 33'

China makes some very good products, Vietnam is the new shoddy products nation. I guess you could not tell that by listening to the trumped up U.S.A. controlled news media. Get off your arse, go visit China, you will se you are getting a lot of sheit from our big brother.
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 17:45   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Good grief. Does the boat still float?
That's not much extra weight for a 10 ton boat at all. In the last 17 years I have seen so many boats drag onto a lee shore that it got my attention. Five in an early fall storm just this year so far. I can put out anchors from the bow or stern, and keep a couple in the lazarette in case I have to buoy an anchor and come back later to recover it.
In virtually every case of going ashore in the area I spend most of my time, the cause has been improper ground tackle or only having one anchor...

Having said all that, 5 anchors may be overkill, but I sleep well...

Tags
rocna