Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 12:16   #61

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Rocna made in PRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegman View Post
the "right" size anchor is the largest one you can comfortably handle. You may want to consider the Manson as an alternative to the Rocna.
I totally agree with that "right size" statement I'd go one size up if I thought I could actually handle that, but since I'm usually sailing solo and have to use good old fashioned arm muscles when anchoring, I feel the 22lbs is the best way to go.

I've seen the Manson anchor, but they're not easy to come by here in the Netherlands. Also checked out the Mantus anchor, same thing. So I decided on Rocna; it should do the job and is available pretty much everywhere here
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 16:42   #62

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegman View Post
You may want to consider the Manson as an alternative to the Rocna. It is made in New Zealand, so no worries about Chinese steel.
Being made in NZ does not guarantee it's made with Kiwi steel; the steel could come from anywhere. It's interesting to note that New Zealand Steel, which bills itself as the "country's sole producer of flat rolled steel" does not mention Manson as a client. And not all opinions of Manson are positive: About the Manson Supreme Anchor
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 16:55   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Rocna was purchased by Canada Metal about 2 years ago. They are produced in China in their totally owned factories with good quality control.
At the time of purchase all existing stock was destroyed and they started fresh. There have been no problems as far as I know since then.

I use a 33lb Rocna on a 27' boat but a 22 is about right for a 29' boat.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 18:38   #64

Boat: Tartan 40

I have a relatively new 45 lb rocna. Looks like great build quality. My older boat had a mantus 35. Interestingly, i found the mantus jerked my old boat to a stop more abruptly than the rocna does with my current boat. Consistent with wider rollbar angle and probably faster setting. But I am very happy with the rocna and the extra 2 feet to set is likely not significant at all. I just didn't like the look of the HUGE rollbar on the mantus and feared it would hit my bow pulpit.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 19:03   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

While I think the Mantus is a good anchor I wouldn't want a take-a-part anchor unless I actually wanted to store it below in pieces. For a main, always on the bow I think a one piece anchor is a better choice.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 19:16   #66

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Being made in NZ does not guarantee it's made with Kiwi steel; the steel could come from anywhere. It's interesting to note that New Zealand Steel, which bills itself as the "country's sole producer of flat rolled steel" does not mention Manson as a client. And not all opinions of Manson are positive: About the Manson Supreme Anchor

Right on cue there Craig.

I doubt Manson would buy enough steel to rate a mention from NZS...

Good to see a link to a nice balanced unbiased and impartial no dog in the fight site bagging the Manson..... oh no!...can it be? Was it written by Smith the Elder!!!

I'm having a deja vu moment all over again here....
Old 20-11-2015, 19:19   #67

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Good to see a link to a nice balanced unbiased and impartial no dog in the fight site bagging the Manson..... oh no!...can it be? Was it written by Smith the Elder!!!

Ain't it the truth.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 23:18   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 13m aluminium sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I'm about to buy a 22 lbs Rocna for my 29' Ohlson. It's been suggested more then once I might want to buy an anchor "for the boat you have, not the one you want" - as in, 'you silly girl, that's way too big an anchor!'.

Let them laugh, I say It's the correct size for my boat, and this piece of steal is all that's going to keep my little plastic home away from the rocks etc. I'd go one size up before going one size down any day.
It depends "a bit" on what you want to do with the boat, but 22lbs is nowhere near an oversize anchor for a 29' if the idea is any weather anchoring...
I used a 25lbs CQR all around the world on my 30' with up to 70m of 10mm chain. I always felt the anchor was a bit small, but you don't argue with success. I watched some 45-footers dragging all over the place and getting pushed on the beaches with the same chain and various 45lbs anchors in Patagonia and Antarctica.
Put a good chain on it and you should find that it is pretty adequate.

I used to deal with my ground tackle by hand down to about 10-12m. Beyond this I used a manual windlass.

Good on you.
Old 21-11-2015, 16:10   #69

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I give. Who's Craig?

Does it matter if the article is written by Peter Smith? Is there anything factually incorrect in what he wrote?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 15:24   #70

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

All this hoha on this anchor! Ok, I bought a 44lb one today. Didn't have a 7/16 clevis so I have a stainless shackle temp.

I sure hope it is everything folks say it is. I have only drug once in 2 years but that was one hairy night.
Old 25-11-2015, 15:29   #71

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
All this hoha on this anchor! Ok, I bought a 44lb one today. Didn't have a 7/16 clevis so I have a stainless shackle temp.

I sure hope it is everything folks say it is. I have only drug once in 2 years but that was one hairy night.

yeah, likewise when I drink too much I have hairy nights.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 15:57   #72

Bar party, sailor brags. that night sailor drags. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna