Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 19:47   #46

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Rocna or Manson Supreme? (OP Ducks His Head)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Interesting to note - roll bars seem to me a way to get an anchor to dig in where the design is not quite right. Anchors like Spade and Excel seem to have no problem flipping over when they need to, and digging in without a roll bar, and as per my earlier post, that roll bar has to have some effect being dragged down into the substrate, and now you comment on the fouling potential of it too.

In any case the theory and reality need to be married for the correct conclusions. And so watch Panope’s videos on anchors setting or Noelex’s pictures of anchors setting. Based on theory you would think all rollbar anchors act the same and that an Excel would set like a delta. And reality is that the Excel is a great anchor, and in some testing Mantus outperforms other rollbar anchors (probably due to larger rollbar which doesn’t clog as much)
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 21:16   #47

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Don't forget about Mantus anchors. We got a Mantus M2 and while we only have a dozen nights of anchoring on it I can already tell its going to be a great anchor. That thing hits the bottom and bang - its in.

We have many years of anchoring on our Spade anchor on our old boat and I while I still think thats a great anchor, it doesn't seem to dig in as fast.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 21:22   #48

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
While the roll bar anchors hold great, I didn’t enjoy the cleaning exercise after anchoring in sticky bottoms like Maine.

Non issue if you have a decent deck wash and hose.
We just have a 22lpm Johnson and a cheap garden hose and nozzle, has a 150lb Manson Supreme anchor clean in minutes.
The 50m of muddy chain now that is a PITA.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 22:04   #49

Boat: Westerly 43

I'm very please with my Manson Supreme. In six months of cruising it set every time and never dragged. It was significantly cheaper than the equivalent Rocna which made the choice easy. The Manson has an interesting feature where there are two slots to attach your shackle. One is the normal slot at the end of the shank and the other is an elongated one for foul ground that reduces the chance of your anchor being fouled.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 05:32   #50

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We just have a 22lpm Johnson and a cheap garden hose and nozzle, has a 150lb Manson Supreme anchor clean in minutes.

Agreed. Mud isn't a big deal with a good washdown. The setup I put in last winter is good for somewhere around 60 - 70 psi at the nozzle and 4.5 gpm or just over (at that pressure). I just keep it pointed at the roller as the chain comes up and that takes care of most of the mud (occasionally I'll pause to knock a chunk off). Anchor rinses clean fairly easily too. And anchoring in deeper water helps, as more of the mud comes off before reaching the surface.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 07:42   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

You know what goes through my mind when I pull up my Manson Supreme and it has a big ball of mud in it????

I think "that's good, that anchor was well set".

If mud in your anchor is a big problem to deal with in your boating time ............... just wait for the rude awakening for what is to come.
Old 30-07-2020, 08:22   #52

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You know what goes through my mind when I pull up my Manson Supreme and it has a big ball of mud in it????

I think "that's good, that anchor was well set".

If mud in your anchor is a big problem to deal with in your boating time ............... just wait for the rude awakening for what is to come.
Ha ha ha! Isn’t that the truth?

I actually secretly like washing the glob of mud off my Manson Supreme. It’s fun to erode the base of the glob where it touches the metal only, then have the whole thing fall off with one big splash.

I’ve had so many great experiences with the Manson Supreme, it’s a little frightening to move to the Rocna. They are, however, so similar that I’d imagine they work the same.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:36   #53

By the way you don’t need a deck wash. I haven’t used mine in years. Just shake chain with boat hook as it comes up and mud falls off. Then when anchor is just below surface grab rollbar with boat hook and shake anchor a few times. Always works with Chesapeake mud which is among the more tenacious types
Old 30-07-2020, 10:44   #54

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I've used both in the northern Chesapeake and both plow in the silt and soft muck. South of the Bay Bridge is fine and never a problem with either. Mud in chain? Get rid of the chain in the bay.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:13   #55

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
By the way you don’t need a deck wash. I haven’t used mine in years. Just shake chain with boat hook as it comes up and mud falls off. Then when anchor is just below surface grab rollbar with boat hook and shake anchor a few times. Always works with Chesapeake mud which is among the more tenacious types
You must have light chain and anchor
You won't be doing it with 13mm chain with 150lb + of anchor hanging from it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:15   #56

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Even with lighter chain, good luck shaking it around enough in deep water with a fast windlass. And I've played the anchor dunking game. One day of 5 minutes of that and going backwards in circles before saying "screw it, I'll get the rest of the mud off later" was enough for me to put in a washdown.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:22   #57
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
True. But that does NOT help if the anchor is clogged with enough mud to change the balance so that it does not reset. This has been documented with a number of roll bar anchors. Not common, but a defined problem in sticky mud areas. This is why it is important that an anchor come up clean. Not because you can't clean it, but because that mud may inhibit reset behavior.

A roll bar can also get sticks caught in it. Same problem. I've had that happen many times.
Old 30-07-2020, 13:29   #58
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Even with lighter chain, good luck shaking it around enough in deep water with a fast windlass. And I've played the anchor dunking game. One day of 5 minutes of that and going backwards in circles before saying "screw it, I'll get the rest of the mud off later" was enough for me to put in a washdown.
Simpler yet, shorten up scope to where the chain is off the bottom. Let the boat rock for a few minutes. That will take off most or all of the mud. At worst I might run the last 12 feet up and down once. Easier than washing. As for the mud on the anchor, if I sailed hard enough it generally washed clean. If not, I kept a long handled scraper that would knock off the important stuff in 2-3 strokes. The rest came off when I anchored the next day.

My Excel comes up clean. Everytime.
Old 30-07-2020, 14:06   #59

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I think most here know this, but worth saying: anchoring off many towns and cities the mud that comes up will contain sewage that has not oxidized (decayed). A little bit in the chain locker will create a stench in a day or two as it decays in the presence of oxygen. Sewage treatment plants are relatively new, and often don't pick up all of the old sewer lines that run out into the bay. The worst experience I had was from a small island town in the PNW, which had me pulling out all 300' of chain and stretching it out on the dock in a pouring rain to clean it, as well as the anchor locker itself. I simply couldn't stand the stink any longer (3 days after anchoring). A washdown pump is a necessity in some places.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 16:02   #60

Quote:
You must have light chain and anchor

You won't be doing it with 13mm chain with 150lb + of anchor hanging from it.

Sure- 55 lb mantus and 5/16 Ht chain. My technique wouldnt work with your behemoth [emoji3].
And a lewmar windlass so decently fast. But I find I pause less often than I did with the deckwash.

Anyway, I am sure sometime I’ll encounter mud that requires my deckwash and I’ll hook up the hose, etc. its there. Its easy to start using for certain. And maybe I have special technique no one else can learn, but I watch everyone else struggle with deckwashes and take twice as long to stow their anchor gear clean

Tags
head, rocna