Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 18:23   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986
Re: Rocna Size

Ok sounds good. With my 41' Cheoy Lee, what size is recommended if I go up a size. #55 ?

Randy
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:27   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Was your Rocna made in NZ or China? I've heard word "on the strait" (pun intended) that the Chinese-made don't have the metal strength of the Kiwi's.
Uh oh. Mine was made in Canada. What have you heard about that?
Old 22-04-2011, 18:32   #18

My appologes and allow me to clarify. Doisplacement is 13 Tons and I figure anohter 2 T loaded for cruising. I meant I was looking to the 55lbs which is the model 25. I will carry 400' of 5/16 all chain with my new Maxwell 1500

Am I heading in the right direction

Thanks all
Randy
Old 22-04-2011, 18:34   #19

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
One can't argue against a weighty anchor unless it won't fit on the boat or one is unable to deploy/retrieve it without injury. Was your Rocna made in NZ or China? I've heard word "on the strait" (pun intended) that the Chinese-made don't have the metal strength of the Kiwi's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Uh oh. Mine was made in Canada. What have you heard about that?
Bash,

It is here on CF in this thread. If I were going to buy a Rocna, I would look for a non-Chinese produced one...

... It might be a good argument for up sizing over what is recommended.. since the rocna recommendations would likely be based on their published metal strength.

... Or you could just buy a Manson Supreme?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:38   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
My appologes and allow me to clarify. Doisplacement is 13 Tons and I figure anohter 2 T loaded for cruising. I meant I was looking to the 55lbs which is the model 25. I will carry 400' of 5/16 all chain with my new Maxwell 1500

Am I heading in the right direction

Thanks all
Randy

400' OF CHAIN???

Yeah, that 25k Rockna is perfect for your boat.

Now let's talk about all that chain.
Old 22-04-2011, 18:50   #21

Thanks Bash! Sorry typo. 300' of chain is what iv'e got. Ok I do need to order my anchors in the morning. I'll take any advise. Manson vs Rocna. I think I have the sizing now. We will be heading offshore to Mexico then to the So. Pacific. Lot's of anchoring so I need my ground tackle reliable.

Thouhts....let me have them......I appreciate all the advice.

Randy
Old 22-04-2011, 20:11   #22

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Thanks Bash! Sorry typo. 300' of chain is what iv'e got. Ok I do need to order my anchors in the morning. I'll take any advise. Manson vs Rocna. I think I have the sizing now. We will be heading offshore to Mexico then to the So. Pacific. Lot's of anchoring so I need my ground tackle reliable.

Thouhts....let me have them......I appreciate all the advice.

Randy
I pefer the Rocna simply because Peter came up with the design and I believe he should benefit from that design - however I would not purchase a cast anchor built in China - I have seen too many Chinese-cast Bruce knock-off anchors break due to casting flaws to trust my boat to a Chinese manufactured casting. No matter how good the China guys are, they have some work to do to regain my trust.

If you can source a non-cast Rocna built in New Zealand (Rocna) or in Canad (Suncoast Marine) then I would buy that anchor. If you can't, then purchase a Manson Supreme built in New Zealand.

At least that's my two cents... but it's YOUR boat. Choose the anchor that you prefer.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:43   #23

Boat: Trismus 37

If you have money to spare of course you can support Peter, (Although I believe he has onsold the business, hence the move to China, not sure if Craig is still involved ) A Manson Supreme will give you weight for weight exactly the same performance but at a lesser price and from a known manufacturing base in NZ. Whichever you choose, they are both great anchors.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 05:20   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If I had to go right out this moment and purchase either a Rocna or a Manson, as it appears you do, and I was in California or someplace else in the USA I probably would go for the Manson, just because there don't seem to be any questions about construction quality, company integrity issues, or customer service issues. Maybe these Rocna questions will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, but at this moment there are some questions out there (check out the other thread). There doesn't seem to be much to choose between the performance between the two brands, and Mansons run a bit cheaper, which is a bonus. Frankly, if it were me I might be looking at some other anchor brands. I'm not a fan of that slot in the shank of the Manson.
Old 23-04-2011, 05:36   #25
cruiser

From my observations as a Rocna owner (and 4 other anchors, 3 of which I carry on the boat), here is what I see over and over talking to people about the anchors they own:

Manson owners: they feel their anchor is just as good as a Rocna but costs less.

Rocna owners: they would never switch anchors to anything else no matter what.

There's a subtle but consistent difference.

I don't care what Craig or anyone else says. I didn't pick my anchor based on politics or the impressions given by the people who sell or manufacturer the anchor. Unless they're on my boat, I couldn't care less about what they say or what they do. All I do know is that there is no money that I would ever take to switch to another anchor under any circumstance.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 06:04   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

I got a new anchor just last month. Got a Manson Surpeme because far as I could see they were basically the same, but I got a size bigger at the same price by getting the Manson (a 60# MS for the price of a 40# Ronca).

I don't have any problem with that rock slot. The metal thickness at the end is going to hold longer than the chain/rope/cleat.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 06:12   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Not me. I'm a happy Rocna owner but have not seen a shred of real evidence that the Rocna is any better than either Spade or Manson. I had Spade on my previous boat, and if anything seemed to have better luck with it than with my present Rocna. I've never heard of any owner of any one of these three anchors who was not completely satisfied with it. Other than propaganda, I don't think there's anything to choose between them.

I wouldn't, however, buy a Chinese Rocna until we know the whole truth about the metal used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
From my observations as a Rocna owner (and 4 other anchors, 3 of which I carry on the boat), here is what I see over and over talking to people about the anchors they own:

Manson owners: they feel their anchor is just as good as a Rocna but costs less.

Rocna owners: they would never switch anchors to anything else no matter what.

There's a subtle but consistent difference.

I don't care what Craig or anyone else says. I didn't pick my anchor based on politics or the impressions given by the people who sell or manufacturer the anchor. Unless they're on my boat, I couldn't care less about what they say or what they do. All I do know is that there is no money that I would ever take to switch to another anchor under any circumstance.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 06:35   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have to toss in my two cents.

I have a Rocna and love it. Doesn't have the name cast in the anchor so assume it is not a Chinese.

Based on the current concerns about metal strength in current Rocnas would not buy one today.

Do a lot of business in China and some products made there are first class. Many are made for price with no concern for quality. There is cause for concern with ongoing QC with some Chinese companies, basically some will not hesitate cutting costs to boost their profits. So even if the metal spec is upgraded I would want to know that Rocna has an ongoing system to monitor what comes out of the plant.

Don't really love the slot in the Manson but I am planning to upgrade to a larger anchor when I take off cruising and unless the situation changes will go with the Manson.

Yes some of the brouhaha from Rocna is annoying but I totally agree with Jeffrey on this. I'm buying an anchor, not making a political statement. I can ignore all kinds of nonsense if I can get a better anchor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 07:56   #29

Does anyone know if the Rocna's sold through West Marine are the China made? How do yo tell the difference by looking at the anchor where it is made.

Thanks
Randy
Old 23-04-2011, 08:56   #30

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I believe all the Rocna anchors currently available are made in China. The only way to get one made in NZ or Canada would be to buy used, or luck into some old stock somewhere.

Tags
anchor, rocna