Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 14:51   #376

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Rocna Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
At this time, Defender is selling the Manson Supreme at drastically reduced price...
Any reason?
I'm curious to know why.
Not sure it's so drastically reduced. Looking at the 45 lb Supreme, Defender is selling for $430 exactly the same as WM. I think they might just be inflating the "list price" somewhat.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 10:29   #377

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Came across this reference to a bent anchor shank in the current issue of Cruising World (June 2011, p. 56) in an article by Ted Halstead on cruising his new Catana 50 "Verite" in the Med:

"Our trial by fire began immediately in the Balearics, with days on end of sustained winds over 45 knots and seas to match. This led in no time to a bent anchor shaft and a torn solent jib. . . ."

He doesn't say what brand of anchor it was, and I can't really make it out in the pictures. They picked the boat up in France in March 2008, which might predate the bad Rocnas (if it even is a Rocna)? Grant has said that the batch that contained the "Venice" anchor shipped to Europe in Dec. 2008 or Jan. 2009.

So not much news here, just a fuzzy data point. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 18:37   #378

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Anybody find it interesting that Rocna has not disputed any of the findings?

Perhaps they are from the perception that if one obfuscates long enough, the problem will go away.

Ask Ford how that went over with their Pinto?
Old 31-05-2011, 19:16   #379
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

There is an easy fix, but CQR pattened it. With 300'/500lbs of chain I don't think I would notice a 10lb savings in an anchor unless of course if it's holding power is as phenominal as is advertised, which would add a bit more effort until the windlass broke it loose.
Old 31-05-2011, 23:02   #380

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3
Anybody find it interesting that Rocna has not disputed any of the findings?

Perhaps they are from the perception that if one obfuscates long enough, the problem will go away.

Ask Ford how that went over with their Pinto?
I wouldn't try an defend my product in a forum where the threads have got ..... Well simply put - ugly!!

I also am one of those who recently purchased a Rocna I'm cape town and I took up the battle directly with my supplier who engaged me with Rocna.

They have dealt with my issue in a very professional manner.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 23:13   #381

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
I wouldn't try an defend my product in a forum where the threads have got ..... Well simply put - ugly!!

I also am one of those who recently purchased a Rocna I'm cape town and I took up the battle directly with my supplier who engaged me with Rocna.

They have dealt with my issue in a very professional manner.
What was the issue, and what was the solution?

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 23:27   #382

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post

- rob/beetle
The issue, simply put, was that due to some Rocna's bending, a board member (see earlier posts in this thread) independently put a bought off the shelf Rocna through some metallurgical tests.

Those test showed that the steel which Rocna said they were specifying and building their anchors was not the same as what was tested by the lab.

Then there came the admitance by Rocna that some in late 2009-2010 "slipped through" the QC.

No recall of those.

Retailers have been pretty good about refunding money to clients who have concerns.

Rocna has not addressed the issue at all on thier website or otherwise. The tests were done some months ago now.

This is not the way most of us would view a reputable company dealing with a quality or out of spec issue.

No one is questioning that the design is bad, only that they are charging a premium price, and what is delivered is not what is advertised.

That is the short story... there are 377 posts you will have to read through to get the long version.
Old 31-05-2011, 23:35   #383

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
The issue, simply put, was that due to some Rocna's bending, a board member (see earlier posts in this thread) independently put a bought off the shelf Rocna through some metallurgical tests.
[snip]
That is the short story... there are 377 posts you will have to read through to get the long version.
Hi avb3 - I'm well aware of the thread on CF; I'd be interested to know what issue impi was resolving with the supplier he/she was working with.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 23:37   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle

- rob/beetle
If you look at one if my earlier posts you will see a letter they copied me in on where they admit one of their former employees had gone with a different grade steel. There were a limited number if anchors made from this batch.
Personally I think there should be a recall on those from that batch but I'm not totally sure Rocna know themselves where and who as they may have been mixed.
.... Without going into a long and tedious discussion .....Through dialog and emailing I have made sure to have a Rocna in my vessel from the new and latest batch.
Old 31-05-2011, 23:46   #385

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Thats good. Rocna will replace the defective batch if you ask them to. If you don't know too bad.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 00:09   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
Thats good. Rocna will replace the defective batch if you ask them to. If you don't know too bad.
As I said - I had to do a bit if homework - shouldn't be that way - regular sailing guy and customer but sometimes in life it's what we need to do
Old 01-06-2011, 17:30   #387

Quote:
If you look at one if my earlier posts you will see a letter they copied me in on where they admit one of their former employees had gone with a different grade steel. There were a limited number if anchors made from this batch.
Personally I think there should be a recall on those from that batch but I'm not totally sure Rocna know themselves where and who as they may have been mixed.
.... Without going into a long and tedious discussion .....Through dialog and emailing I have made sure to have a Rocna in my vessel from the new and latest batch.
Impi,

lets get one fact straight:

the use of substandard material from specs was authorised from the very top, not on the whim or choice of "a former employee" as they put it to you.

As I am the "former employee" they are refering to then then they need to come clean and tell the truth about it and admit that the lower grade of metal was already being used when I started with them, and continued to do so, and still did...up until they were caught out by others on this forum.

Why don't they answer to the forums??? because they do not have plausable answers, thats why.
Old 01-06-2011, 17:41   #388

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Grant -- do you have any knowledge of that bent anchor shank on "Verite" in the Balearics? Was that a Rocna?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 17:45   #389
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Quote:
If you look at one if my earlier posts you will see a letter they copied me in on where they admit one of their former employees had gone with a different grade steel. There were a limited number if anchors made from this batch..
By this statement, it appears that rocna are saying Grant King is responsible for fraudulently manufacturing under-spec anchors and putting lives at risk.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 17:50   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Grant -- do you have any knowledge of that bent anchor shank on "Verite" in the Balearics? Was that a Rocna?

I found their blog online and half way down this page is a photo of a rocna on their bow but I do not know if that is the one that was bent

Idyll Thoughts

Tags
anchor, rocna