Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22   #586

Boat: Stevens Custom 40
Re: Rocna Size

PEREGRINA is a Stevens Custom 40 - 40'9" on deck and she displaces 24,000 lbs. We have a 25 kg Rocna. PEREGRINA came with 3/8" high test chain, heavier than needed I think, but when we replaced the windlass we kept the chain size. We installed a Lofrans Kobra windlass and it gives fine service - The Peregrine Sea: Windlass Retrospective. There are moments when I wish I had forked out the money for the much heavier Lighthouse windlass, but wanted to reduce weight at the bows. Has some recent anchoring fun when we speared a tire. A sharp point on that Rocna ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire%2526anchor+1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	29369  

https://blog.peregrinesea.com
PeregrineSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:34   #587
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineSea View Post
PEREGRINA is a Stevens Custom 40 - 40'9" on deck and she displaces 24,000 lbs. We have a 25 kg Rocna. PEREGRINA came with 3/8" high test chain, heavier than needed I think, but when we replaced the windlass we kept the chain size. We installed a Lofrans Kobra windlass and it gives fine service - The Peregrine Sea: Windlass Retrospective. There are moments when I wish I had forked out the money for the much heavier Lighthouse windlass, but wanted to reduce weight at the bows. Has some recent anchoring fun when we speared a tire. A sharp point on that Rocna ....
I would consider that a "hard bottom" to penetrate...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:26   #588

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineSea View Post
Has some recent anchoring fun when we speared a tire. A sharp point on that Rocna ....
Are you going to return it? If you had a higher mpa shank it would have gone right thru that tire for sure. LOL
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56   #589
CLOD

Boat: none

Great a new anchor measurement to consider; the tire dragging coeffiecent!
Old 07-07-2011, 13:42   #590

That technique should be retired
Old 07-07-2011, 13:50   #591

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

At this rate the tread will soon be closed

Jim
Old 07-07-2011, 14:07   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
At this rate the tread will soon be closed

Jim

Does this mean that after 590 postings the allowance for any humour has been lost?

I certainly hope not
Old 07-07-2011, 14:11   #593
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

humour??? we don't got no stinkin humour round here... especially not about a subject as... er... controversial as submerged tires...

So you all just show proper respect to ALL submerged tires.

And be NICE to em too!

or I'll show ya,

just see is I don't!

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:16   #594

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
humour??? we don't got no stinkin humour round here... especially not about a subject as... er... controversial as submerged tires...

So you all just show proper respect to ALL submerged tires.

And be NICE to em too!

or I'll show ya,

just see is I don't!

; -)
Methinks that tire got its er stem blown and as a result seems to have lost its load, of course, until it got picked up by that hooker. Seems to have lost its inner rubber too.

So much for safe anchoring.
Old 11-07-2011, 22:56   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
This is a fairly typical experience, although from what has been posted by Grant King, the problem is not QA from the Chinese, but a conscious decision on the part of Rocna to cheapen their product without acknowledging it. Until caught that is. Now, their attitude is pretty much "we'll use whatever steel we want to use in our anchors, so there!" Not a big confidence builder, that.

Like I have said before the Chinese do exactly what they are told to do, use exactly the metal they are told to do and have done so since day 1 of making those anchors.

Some of the very first ones made were part of the shipment that included the 400mpa venice spaghetti. The whole shipment was the same material and they were made in late 2008.

Certification of seabed tests was obtained using NZ made ones with shanks of Bis80. The china ones are nowhere near that so that voids that result.

The drawing type approval pubished on the website now has several different grades of metal listed as shank grade, some list Bis 80 ( not used) some list lower grades in order to gain approval when tests of material failed miserably to come up to test spec. Voids that as well.

The full certification has still not been achieved no matter what type of sales spin is put into the press release to make the layman sailor think it has.

This thread , and others online, have all been about credibility and safety , not about if it is a good anchor or not. I know it is a good anchor, one of the best, but with the design strength being so severely compromised it has a weakness that will not show until it is sideloaded above the stress point of the shank. It will not break, the weld will not fall apart, the blade will not snap but the shank will bend and release the setting.

Peter Smith and Craig were so adamant that the alignment of the shank was absolutely critical to the setting of the anchor that any deviation of the shank from centre line of the blade more than a few mm was not acceptable was classed as a reject. The shank if it had a curve or bend of more than 1mm over 500mm length it had to be straightened.
These are critical to the success of the design working.

Also critical is the strength of the steel both UTS ( Ultimate Tensile Strength) the point of elongation of the metal and YTS ( Yield tensile Strength) the point at which it bends. With a minimum Yield spec of 690mpa none of the tested anchors so far have come to this.

Now , with the stance of keeping quiet and being vague about metals, they will simply wait for it all to go away online and continue to manufacture as they always have and when there is a major failure they will, as before, close ranks and walk away.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:33   #596

Boat: C&C 34

Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02   #597

Boat: Stevens Custom 40

I have noticed whenever Rocna Anchors are mentioned, we degenerate into religious discussions the supossed problems with the anchor or it's manufacture, and various comparisons with alegedly superior anchors. I am much more concered about the tires that lurk below. Says my Friend Webb Chiles - "I think that the world's anchorages are filled with tires. I once caught on in Papeete, in 60+ feet of water and dragged the length of the harbor in EGREGIOUS. Fortunately without going ashore."

https://blog.peregrinesea.com
PeregrineSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 13:20   #598

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

All,
As the original author of this thread and a relative newbie to posting I am completly amazed at the rukus I started and the different directions this conversation has gone. There are some self proclaimed "real smart" folks on here with way too much time and money, but lucky for the rest of us willing to go down and buy anchors, drive nails into them, then test the return policy. Pretty funny actually. To that end and a hearty thanks to all the real smart folks. Running from the dreaded dangers of the Rocna I had originially intended to set up, I purchased a 60 lb Manson Supreme to hang from my new Maxwell 1500 and 300' of HT chain. Got to use the new rig this summer at Catalina on multiple occasions and happy to report all is well and very pleased with my decision.

As we someday will be heading off to distant shores, be comforted knowing "Restless Soul", that 41' Cheoy Lee Pedrick swinging on the hook next to you is on a Manson and not the dreaded shank bender Rocna.

Fair Winds, Captain Randy
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 14:14   #599

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
All,
As the original author of this thread and a relative newbie to posting I am completly amazed at the rukus I started and the different directions this conversation has gone. There are some self proclaimed "real smart" folks on here with way too much time and money, but lucky for the rest of us willing to go down and buy anchors, drive nails into them, then test the return policy. Pretty funny actually. To that end and a hearty thanks to all the real smart folks. Running from the dreaded dangers of the Rocna I had originially intended to set up, I purchased a 60 lb Manson Supreme to hang from my new Maxwell 1500 and 300' of HT chain. Got to use the new rig this summer at Catalina on multiple occasions and happy to report all is well and very pleased with my decision.

As we someday will be heading off to distant shores, be comforted knowing "Restless Soul", that 41' Cheoy Lee Pedrick swinging on the hook next to you is on a Manson and not the dreaded shank bender Rocna.

Fair Winds, Captain Randy
I feel better already...and this thread had an original poster? It seems like we've been flogging this dead horse for years now.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:38   #600

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Well, I picked up the Manson Supreme today and it looks just like a Manson.

And sorta like the Rocna looked.

I was surprised how it looked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9220465.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	31918   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9220466.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	31919