Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 15:13   #16

Re: Rocna sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That reminds me, how did your rodencia problema work out?
The thing evaded all traps, eventually the marina stepped up and put out a lot of poison. I think the one on my boat was coming and going because I never saw anymore trace of it after we started sealing the boat up at night.

I have a bunch of poison and I still put it out at nights, every now and then one of the baits is gone so they're still around.

No serious damage to the boat although some random weird things were destroyed. I consider myself lucky.

There's been a slightly musty smell from the engine compartment; can't localize it. Possible that it's a rat decomposing.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:26   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

25kg Rocna on our 34' 7 ton boat It saved our boat:

St. Augustine: The Cutest Little Town You Could Almost Shipwreck Your Boat In | Matt & Jessica's Sailing Page

We lost the anchor during that episode due to a shackle coming undone, but replaced it with another 25kg Rocna!
Old 01-03-2013, 15:34   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have the Manson 60lb and it does not seem out of proportion. I would not feel happy on the 20 kg Rocna. 32000 lbs if mono.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 17:35   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I have a 40' Silverton aftcabin that is completely enclosed that results in a great deal of windage. The boat itself is about 25-28,000 with all the stuff I have on it. I have been there done that with the Delta and Bruce, finally settled with an 80# Manson Supreme. Anchors are anchors but the Manson is supreme!

NO, not trying to pee into the anchor pool, it just happens that I selected the Manson over the Rocna when the Rocna took the shaft. Whatever you purchase, I recommend go big! I chuckled reading CarlF's post

"No one lying in their berth at 2AM during a sudden squall thinks 'I should have bought a smaller anchor' " HOW TRUE!!!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46   #20

Boat: Moody 44

Thanks for all the advice guys.
CarlF's comment also made me smile but is probably very true so I'm going to go for the 25kg Rocna. My boat is center cockpit so fair bit of windage if she slews at anchor or when med-moored side on to wind in Greece. Interestingly Manson advised that 20kg would be OK but I think "better safe than sorry" and the 25k Rocna is cheaper than the 27k Manson where we are based.
Thanks again
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08   #21
cruiser

Since you're in the Greece/Turkey area of the Med, you should look at the Turkish made Ultra Anchor. We're getting one in a month or so. Basically, it's a well-made stainless version of a Spade anchor with some improvements for anchoring in weed and grass. Should be comparably priced with the Rocna, but should perform better and look quite a bit nicer.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40   #22

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Since you're in the Greece/Turkey area of the Med, you should look at the Turkish made Ultra Anchor. We're getting one in a month or so. Basically, it's a well-made stainless version of a Spade anchor with some improvements for anchoring in weed and grass. Should be comparably priced with the Rocna, but should perform better and look quite a bit nicer.
Thx for you suggestion Kenomac
Ive had a quote for one but its twice the price of the Rocna as its only available in Stainless Steel. Im sure it will look great on your Oyster but its a bit too rich for me.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We have a 25 KG Rocna on our Catalina 470 with 5/16" all chian rode. The last haulout the boat weighted 36,000 lbs (18 tons).

We haven't slipped yet with 5 to 1 scope in winds up to 55 knots on a sand bottom.

Our last anchorage at Isla Providencia, Columbia, two boats draagged in the sand and grass bottom in 30 knots of wind... Both were using BRUCE anchors, which could not reset in the grass/sand and plowed along for over 1/2 mile on both boats before they got control.

I have yet to see a ROCNA drag, which is probably due to its ability to right and reset itself in short distances.

It is also the best "All Around" anchor I have ever owned... It sets in Mud, Sand, Grass, Coral and Rocks.
Rocna don't drag, they bend. (sorry could not help myself)

I'm Like CarlIF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlIF View Post
No one lying in their berth at 2AM during a sudden squall thinks "I should have bought a smaller anchor"

Our boat is 50' and about 40,000#. We live by the old saying - If people are not commenting on how big your anchor is it is too small. We opted for an 80 pound Manson (36 Kg). Started with a 33 Kg Rocna but discovered that it had a 400 MPa shank using the ball bearing test and replaced it.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:15   #24

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Here in NZ you'd go 25kg or 30kg but in the Med???
Whats the maximum wind speed around Greece? I suspect 20kg would be good.

We've had a couple of 70knot winds in our marina during the last 12 months, nearly blew the Admiral off the pontoon but she hung onto a plie. 70 knots here means much more in the nearby sounds.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:21   #25

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have recently added a Rocna 25kg anchor to the arsenal, and since my boat (Bristol 41.1 center cockpit, 27,000#) might be similar to yours, I thought I would contribute my impressions of the Rocna.

Like others, I had some trepidation regarding the Rocna, but could find no evidence of actual failures, let alone one that resulted in a serious incident. My impression of the current Rocna is that it is acceptable, used with reasonable care, same as for any anchor.

I have noted that the anchor sets immediately, surprisingly so. I will have a scope of about 1-1/2 or less and the hook will have grabbed. Sometimes this has caught me by surprise. Now I more or less expect it.

Anchorages that I have stayed in for several days, especially if I had some brisk winds in the meantime, allow the Rocna to bury itself quite deeply. The result is that it can be a real bear to retrieve it.

It also has a tendency to carry up more of the bottom material than my prior CQR - sometimes a great deal more! I have had to take a boat hook to poke at the mound of mud or sand, or sail off with the anchor still trailing in the water to wash off the goop. Maybe time to install a wash-down system???

The Rocna fits well in my anchor roller, something the Manson Supreme did not. I think that is an important consideration as well. We just returned from a rather nasty Gulf Stream crossing and I was glad I didn't have to worry about the anchor bouncing around when the bow was burying itself in the waves.

In all, quite pleased with my experience with the Rocna 25.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:40   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I agree. You always have to compensate for the extra windage on a cat.
The frontal area is larger.
WOW! I would love to be able to dry out like that! That is truly awesome!
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 19:41   #27

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have a rocna 20 on my caliber 33 (13k pounds). If I had a bigger boat than that I would get a bigger anchor. It may be overkill on my boat but then again maybe not. I hope I never find out but I do sleep well at night. It has never dragged so far.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 22:42   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Whats the maximum wind speed around Greece? I suspect 20kg would be good.
The Meltemi (a northerly summer wind) rips down the centre of the Aegean in Greece. 30-40 knots daily for a solid week is not uncommon.

The periphery cops a belting occasionally too. One of our guests was just about tossed out of bed when we were anchored off Icaria and ferocious gusts hit. After a week of this I decided that Icarus' wings did not melt off, they were blown off LOL .

Photo is of the ferry which was unable to dock at Icarus and spent all afternoon behind us messing about trying to pick up its tangled anchor.

I would not have wanted either a 20 or 25 kg anchor with a 44 foot boat in that summer blow (let alone what the Med can throw at you the rest of the seasons)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	56024  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 23:30   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I would go for the 27kg Manson vs the 25kg ROCNA.

You can be sure of strength of the metal in the shank of the Manson.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 00:03   #30

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Affinite. I checked the Rocna site. They recommend 25kg for 44ft & 12t. not 20kg.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna