Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 05:41   #1

Boat: C-350 X-Factor
Rocna-Vancouver

Considering purchasing a Rocna from Suncoast Marine in Vancouver. Has anyone done business with them and how was the experience, quality of product, etc.? They have been very responsive to my initial inquiries.

Also, is the Rocna that much superior to the Delta to warrant the extra expenditure? Will be boating in area with 9-foot tides and have concluded that the setting/resetting ability of the Rocna is important. My boat is 35',14,000 lbs.
allsail68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:31   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I bought a 20KG Rocna from Vancouver.
No problems, the transaction went smooth.

I think the Rocna is better than the Delta: Replaced my 55 lbs Delta with the 44 lbs Rocna and happy I did.

33 foot cutter, 22,000 lbs displacement all loaded up.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:55   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsail68 View Post
Considering purchasing a Rocna from Suncoast Marine in Vancouver. Has anyone done business with them and how was the experience, quality of product, etc.? They have been very responsive to my initial inquiries.

I bought a Rocna 33 from them a couple months ago. No problemo.

Have not tried the anchor yet though.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:01   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Me too..

I bought a 25kg from them last year. Couldn't have been easier nor made me happier. When you consider the concept of a plow (i.e. to help the farmer 'plow' THROUGH the dirt) the concept of a Rocna and a few other 'modern' anchors is more like a PICK which climbers use to HOLD themselves in place. Somehow, for me the concepts transfer.

Anyway, I love mine and am very glad I have an anchor wash down pump cuz it digs in deep and holds. Sometimes you can really feel it bite as you snub your line, not just hold but really stop you all at once. I'd go a size larger than recommended just for the 'feel good' concept. How detrimental is another 10# really in the scheme of things? How well do you like to sleep at night?
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 07:36   #5
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
Got a Rocna 40 from them in May all was good. Shipping costs were high but so what. I love the anchor, it sets quick and holds. Only problem is it brings up lots of bottom. The mud the anchor and the 3/8 chain really put the windless to the test.
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 08:56   #6

Boat: Stevens 47
I emailed Suncoast a couple of weeks ago about getting my Rocna...this is the reply I got.......

Hi Michael;

Thanks for your interest in Rocna anchors.

The Rocna 33 (33kg, 66lbs) is conservatively rated up to 46' at 44,000lbs. You are just a tad over on length, but well under on displacement, so this is the anchor I would recommend for your boat.

I wasn't sure what you meant by the 40T - if you meant the Rocna 40 (40kg, 88lbs), which is rated up to 46' at 40T (metric tonnes = 88,000 lbs), I wouldn't normally consider that this would be necessary for your boat...but you're the skipper, and if this is the one that helps you sleep at night, and you have the space for it, no problem. You can find the dimensions at www.rocna.com/distributable/rocna_anchors_dimensions.pdf if you would like to have a look regarding fit.

Re purchase, you could try West Marine, they have just started carrying the Rocna. I made my first shipment to thier Rock Hill SC warehouse 2 weeks ago, so it should be available through their stores any day now. You will most likely have to quote the SKU # (9261678 for 33kg, 9261686 for the 40kg), as the sales associates don't know about the Rocna yet. If there is any problem, let me know,and I can certainly ship one from here.

Regards

Mark Pocock
President
Suncoast Marine Ltd.
mark@suncoastmarine.ca

Excellent reply and information....I enquired with WM about the price on the Rocna 30 and they want $US900 for it...which is cheaper (for me) to buy from them (locally) instead of paying for freight from Vancouver to Atlanta. I can't wait to get one.....

Tags
rocna