Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 11:23   #151

Re: Rocna's new anchor/ Hey, Anchor thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I love our rocna - except that it hauls up a monster load of bottom, most of the time, leading to running along to rinse.

That leads to stern-to orientation of the roll bar, leading to fouling trying to get it up in the chocks, as the top of the shank presents rather than the bottom.

This design looks much like a spade, and I think that it would eliminate the fouling on raising I have nearly every time (when the bottom is non-stick sand, it comes up fine, but any rinsing makes it point-forward, and I have to use a boat hook to twirl it to the right orientation).

One concern is that it's already 'sharp' in terms of a roller; the new design seems to have an even sharper presentation to the roller. Perhaps without an over-center upside-down issue, that won't be of concern, but I go through any type of material I've tried, eventually. I admit I've not paid to have a custom SS roller made, but it may come to that.

Getting the anchor up has been a bit of a challenge, sometimes, as I suspect that there have been times where there was at least 100# of bottom (usually with grass to help hold it together, but sometimes looking very much like concrete or tabby) attached, and frequently taking a great deal of motoring with the anchor at various depths to clear that off before loading.

From that I impute that if it has a bottom other than rock, I'm unlikely to drag, and if it manages to upset (I watched it do that once, as we were anchoring in clear water but difficult current/wind conditions), it will reset immediately. Because it's usually so deeply set (we back hard), my norm is to pull up using the catenary to advance the boat, which develops way on our 44k# boat. When it gets to vertical, I just quit raising and let the weight of the boat and the zero scope pull it loose. See above for raising, at that point ☺

HTH; I don't want to spend the big bux for a vulcan, but if I were doing what I did 4 years ago when I got the standard 33KG model, I'd go with vulcan. It would have made my anchor roller system much simpler...
For your replacement roller, you could take a plastic one to a foundry and use it as a pattern for 1, (or 2) cast in alu /bronze or whatever mix the foundry recommends.
It will still need finishing and drilling in a lathe but will probably turn better and with out the rust problems of SS on an SS pivot bolt. Bronze is self lubricating to a degree.
(A little late I know but I'm checking out Rocna / Vulcan experience)
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 14:27   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If anyone is interested in buying a Rocna or Vulcan, my guys are going to be working the Rocna booth at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show next month. We're going to work up some good prices that include free local delivery so you don't have to carry an anchor around the show. We can work out shipping to distant places as well.
Old 14-10-2015, 14:34   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If anyone is interested in buying a Rocna or Vulcan, my guys are going to be working the Rocna booth at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show next month. We're going to work up some good prices that include free local delivery so you don't have to carry an anchor around the show. We can work out shipping to distant places as well.
I'll be interested if you can arrange to ship me there & return free from New Zealand. I'll pay the excess baggage home.
Old 15-10-2015, 07:49   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry Graham, NZ doesn't qualify for the free local delivery. Strangely enough shipping an anchor to NZ costs the same as first class round trip airfare from Miami to NZ.
Old 15-10-2015, 11:06   #155

Quote:
Sorry Graham, NZ doesn't qualify for the free local delivery. Strangely enough shipping an anchor to NZ costs the same as first class round trip airfare from Miami to NZ.
Thanks HopCar. I had an idea you would say something like that so I went to my local chandlery store 20 minutes away and bought a 9 kg Vulcan for my 30'er yesterday. It looks to be a nice anchor. They must have sold a few Vulcans and Rocna in the last few days as their stock level seemed lower than a couple of days previously. It's coming into summer here and people are thinking sailing.

If someone were traveling economy anyway, they could theoretically pack a 9 kg anchor and still have 14 kg available for clothes etc. Or they could try hand carrying a 7 kg anchor but I think airport security might have something to say about that.
Old 15-10-2015, 12:51   #156

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post

If someone were traveling economy anyway, they could theoretically pack a 9 kg anchor and still have 14 kg available for clothes etc. Or they could try hand carrying a 7 kg anchor but I think airport security might have something to say about that.
Excuse me, sir. Is that a Vulcan in your pocket?
Old 15-10-2015, 13:07   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Excuse me, sir. Is that a Vulcan in your pocket?
I've never seen any airport notices that say you can't hand carry an anchor.
Old 15-10-2015, 13:43   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Graham, Please post a picture of it when you get it mounted.
Let us know how you like it.

How many of you guys thought "or are you just glad to see me?" after reading Chris' last post?
Old 15-10-2015, 13:49   #159

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Must fit in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of you. I've never seen any weight restrictions though.
Old 15-10-2015, 14:01   #160

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
The sharp tip will get it tossed into the cargo hold. I doubt you can carry even a small anchor like the Vulcan in carry-on.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:07   #161

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

How many of you guys thought "or are you just glad to see me?" after reading Chris' last post?
I think all the ladies thought I was glad to see them when I was wheeling this around the airport terminals.

25kg Rocna = 'fragile' hold baggage... Oz to Chile.

Transpac for some weird reason ( Treaty of Warsaw 1932??) you get 2 hold pieces rather than 1..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	111044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	111045  

Old 15-10-2015, 14:54   #162

Quote:

I get a good going over by airport security anyway because of my titanium hip.

Last time I tried posting a photo it didn't work as I was doing something wrong.

The 9 kg Vulcan fits nicely in my anchor locker (better than my 10 kg Bruce). I don't intend hanging it on the front for more than short distances. I made a SS bowsprit protruding about 18" ahead, from rectangular hollow section, with an anchor roller in the front. That doubles as an attachment for my Selden top down gennaker furler. It also keeps the anchor clear on retrieval, from my almost straight stem. It incorporates a SS strut like a bobstay.

At least I'll see how the Vulcan performs and report back. There's only one way to find out and that's to try. Going by the Rocna pedigree and the appearance of the Vulcan I'm quite happy so far. I don't care whether it's theoretically slightly better or slightly worse than the Rocna. You can get some idea of that by checking their recommended size chart.

Incidentally the 9 kg Vulcan cost NZ$380 which includes our 15% goods and service tax. That equates to US$255 incl. tax at the present low exchange rate of
NZ.67c / US$. I suppose it's sourced from the same Canadian company's Chinese factory you mentioned.

As I understand, that 15% tax is refundable to visitors or others exporting goods from New Zealand.
Old 15-10-2015, 15:34   #163

Quote:

As I understand, that 15% tax is refundable to visitors or others exporting goods from New Zealand.
Not as simple in NZ as Oz... doubt anchor sellers are part of the scheme...
Tax and GST shopping

Buying for an O/S yacht in NZ is easier....
Old 15-10-2015, 16:46   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not as simple in NZ as Oz... doubt anchor sellers are part of the scheme...
Tax and GST shopping

Buying for an O/S yacht in NZ is easier....
Almost all NZ businesses are GST registered as is my small one. Basically I calculate the invoiced GST I've received in income and the GST I've paid in expenses.(only business not personal) Then I either pay the difference to IRD or receive a refund after filling in the form every 2 months. Any sales I make to overseas and I have clients in Australia, I'm not required to charge GST because it is a NZ tax. I'm sure that applies to every company selling overseas from NZ to anybody, though some who don't do that often may need to be "reminded".

There is an entry in the standard form to show GST exempted sales to overseas.

Also duty free you buy at a NZ airport for example is less GST.

I've never had occasion to do it but I think that by going through NZ customs, if you are visiting, and exporting the goods with you, you should be given a refund if you fill in the right pieces of paper.

I have no doubt that the many visiting Super Yacht owners / representatives that have boats serviced here claim back the GST. They know all those things which is one reason why they own SuperYachts.

An engineering supplies on the waterfront that I deal with, often has uniformed SuperYacht workers with their walkie talkies putting goods on account.

I don't know which country makes it easier to do though. Before Aus introduced GST; (was that about 15 years ago?) I filmed an instructional video to be shown to Aus accountants meeting in NZ showing the difference between our 2 GST tax systems. I was just doing the filming but had a good insight into the differences.

Then, the Aus system looked like more work for businesses to do a return.
Old 15-10-2015, 16:55   #165

Quote:
Almost all NZ businesses are GST registered as is my small one. Basically I calculate the invoiced GST I've received in income and the GST I've paid in expenses.(only business not personal) Then I either pay the difference to IRD or receive a refund after filling in the form every 2 months. Any sales I make to overseas and I have clients in Australia, I'm not required to charge GST because it is a NZ tax. I'm sure that applies to every company selling overseas from NZ to anybody, though some who don't do that often may need to be "reminded".

There is an entry in the standard form to show GST exempted sales to overseas.

Also duty free you buy at a NZ airport for example is less GST.

I've never had occasion to do it but I think that by going through NZ customs, if you are visiting, and exporting the goods with you, you should be given a refund if you fill in the right pieces of paper.

I have no doubt that the many visiting Super Yacht owners / representatives that have boats serviced here claim back the GST. They know all those things which is one reason why they own SuperYachts.

An engineering supplies on the waterfront that I deal with, often has uniformed SuperYacht workers with their walkie talkies putting goods on account.

I don't know which country makes it easier to do though. Before Aus introduced GST; (was that about 15 years ago?) I filmed an instructional video to be shown to Aus accountants meeting in NZ showing the difference between our 2 GST tax systems. I was just doing the filming but had a good insight into the differences.

Then, the Aus system looked like more work for businesses to do a return.
They say 'no refunds... once paid is paid'.

Superyachts and my notsosuperyacht which have a TIE don't pay GST when buying stuff... we don't have to reclaim.

Sorry about the thread drift.

Tags
anchor, rocna