Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2022, 20:02   #1
cruiser

Rode type?

Greetings fellow mariners,

In an effort to not hijack another thread I am starting this one to ask about an interesting piece of info I read from CF member MVMojo on another thread regarding snubbers. He mentioned that he has stainless steel cable in lieu of soft rode for his ground tackle set up. I visited his website, which I highly recommend by the way, and learned he uses 50 feet of chain followed by 200 feet of stainless cable, where most would use three strand or 8/12 plait. Although there are many pictures and videos on his website I could not find one showing this cable and it’s stowage. This thought had crossed my mind to do something similar in the past, after seeing some docks and other marine construction equipment secured to anchors/shore via cables, but I have never seen it put into use as rode. Apparently he has and is using it. I am hoping that he will find this thread and offer up some real world usage examples. I may PM him to gently force his hand as I am curious about functionality of such a set up. I am curious if a reel would be used in the anchor locker to store the cable and allow it to feed in and out during deployment and recovery? Is kinking or twisting a concern especially for multi-day, week or month long anchoring?

Thoughts?

Opinions on such a set-up?

Pros?

Cons?

Thanks in advance for your insight and knowledge share.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2022, 20:08   #2
cruiser

Re: Rode type?

As a follow up to my initial post, after thinking more about it, the equipment and drilling units I have seen anchored with cables are fixed in one spot, usually by numerous cables in different directions, not a single cable used as rode which has a vessel moving about via wind, tide, wave action etc? It seems that the use cases are quite different.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode