Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2011, 20:31   #46

Boat: PETERSON 44
Here's a story that reminds Me that good anchoring isn't only when you really need it. I dropped hook returning from several weeks if cruising. It was a reprieve rest thing. Nit the best anchorage. Okay by the forecasts. The forecasts were wring and it got quite bumpy. I was anchored well good snubber using a chain hook big loop of chain. Still though bouncing around. So I got up and set the gps for sn anchor watch looked about.issues gets up sometime later and shuts off the gps. Ohh she says later I thought you left it on. Not something I normally do. Guess the story is communicate and expect something you didn't expect. I have seen dock lines get burned through it's nit something you would expect. Never thought I would see 3/4 inch line part with such ease. Never thought musses would suddenly become energy conscious and shut off my last back up.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 20:29   #47

Re: Rolling Hitch Nylon Rode Snubber ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I won't dispute its easy handling, but NE Ropes Mega Braid is about 60% more expensive than NE Ropes 3-strand, comparing prices on 5/8" from Hamilton Marine ($1.62 per foot vs. $1.01). Plus, Mega Braid has a breaking strain 1800 lbs. less than the 3-strand. I've asked NE Ropes and they say that their premium 3-strand is their most abrasion resistant rope for anchoring use. I've found the NE Ropes 3-strand is pretty good about not getting into a tangle too--just about the right lay--not too stiff and not too loose. I just dump it into the bottom of the anchor locker, never coiling it. Coiling it is where you get into trouble--it introduces twists that cause handling problems.
I use 5/8" Yale Cordage 8-plait as my rode (after the chain). $1.50/ft vs. $1.00/ft for same size 3-strand at my local chandlery.

Strength comparisons:

From New England Ropes website 5/8' 3-strand tensile 12,200#

From Yale Cordage website 5/8' 8-plait tensile 12,200#

A very interesting article on their 8-plait rode with an eye-opening photo comparison of storage volume versus 3-strand.

http://www.yalecordage.com/pdf/anchoring_tech.pdf

No connection etc...
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote