Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 19:58   #16

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: Rope or Chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
3/8" chain? On a boat that only displaces 8 tons?
Sorry...I have this massive memory problem with 5/16, 3/8 and also rode sizes.

btw, westsails displace 10 tons empty.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 20:13   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"How much does 150' of 3/8" weigh?"
About 225 pounds.
Old 31-05-2013, 20:13   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Boatman61 and rebel heart have it right, +1... 100% chain in my book... Phil
Folks, take another look at the OP. It's a 50-yearish-old wooden sedan-style powerboat that will probably never do much more than a few out-and-backs to the Channel Islands. It wasn't designed to carry a whole lot of chain in the bow, even when brand new. He doesn't need to sit out hurricanes in the South Pacific, or the Coromuel winds of La Paz. The boat will never make it that far.

This isn't an offshore boat at this point in its career, if it ever was. Let's assume that he's smart enough to only go out for weekends when there's no small-craft advisory in the extended forecast. Half the time he'll probably pick up a mooring ball in Avalon. This is a boat where a good adventure would be the Labor Day three-day weekend.

Eighty feet of 5/16" chain is probably as much as any Chris Craft Connie 36' ever saw, backed up by a decent amount of nylon. If he needs more than that, he's well advised to stay in port.

Good grief, next thing, you folks are going to be advising me to carry 300' of 3/8" chain and a Rocna 55 in my sea kayak.
Old 31-05-2013, 20:34   #19
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
3/8" chain? On a boat that only displaces 8 tons?
I've been corrected via PM. Apparently, they only displace 6 tons.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riomar View Post
I'm installing new anchor and rode and trying to decide on rope or chain, any advise. I will be doing mostly off-shore boating and some island hopping.
You will find that a chain rode combination will suit your needs...

The chain length should be a minimum of about 40 feet and longer if you can handle it. Over all, I would recommend 300 feet of chain rode combination, which is more than you will use in most southern California anchorages, but gives you options.

We sailed with 300 feet of chain with 200 feet of megabraid spliced to it through California, Mexico and Central America. I seldom used over 200 feet of chain for anchoring at a 5 to 1 scope, except one time off Two Harbors, on Catalina Island, where I anchored in 100 feet of water and used most of my rode. Also in Pacific Panama, where the tides were 18-20 feet we would get up to about 250 feet of rode around the Perlas Islands.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
You actually need a lot less scope on really deep water as a ton of the chain never picks up off the bottom. You'd never use more than 150' of chain in a 50' anchorage unless it was a gale. Then you can always have a quick look over the bottom and see if its safe to use a bit more line. 180' of chain is really the max you need in the tropics. Maybe would carry more In high lats.
I have 200' of chain and have wished more than a few times that I ha more, say 250'. Depends where you are going. In the Bahamas you need very little. In the Eastern Caribbean 200' was fine. In the Pacific, anchorages were often very deep and sometimes exposed, Easter Island comes to mind.

The OP has an old 35' power boat that he thinks might be wood. I think he has a lot more fundamental questions about cruising long distances than the kind of rode - he hasn't even asked about what kind of anchor to use.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:35   #22
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
The OP has an old 35' power boat that he thinks might be wood. I think he has a lot more fundamental questions about cruising long distances than the kind of rode - he hasn't even asked about what kind of anchor to use.
Nor has anyone bothered to inquire whether the boat has a windlass. Just imagine what happens when the OP invests in an all-chain rode and then doesn't have a way to retrieve it.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rope or Chain?

Apologies to the OP... being a Brit sail person did not realise what a Chris Craft of this type was...
Likely you'll not be going to the spread of locations that cruisers frequent and much more likely to hang half a tank away from base 95% of the time...
Take a look at a chart of your cruising grounds... Sh=shale, S=sand.. clay, rock... the type of bottom is usually shown... then take it from there...
Sand, shale gravel with no coral/rocks etc then maybe 50ft chain and then rope to suit your depths + 40%...
if the areas very rocky I'd suggest you fit a small winch like they have on Land Rovers etc and go for wire... incredibly strong, flexible and for the boats need likely not all that much heavier than the larger sized rope length you'd need to carry...
Just a thought...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:06   #24

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

This is a Chriscraft Constellation, which was originally powered with a gas engine.

Even if he has re-powered to diesel, I would imagine his range is less than 300 miles with the original tanks.

This guy isn't going to far without a fuel barge...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08   #25

Boat: Koopmans 42 - Netherlands

Primary all chain, do not even bother considering rope...
Mundinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22   #26

Boat: PETERSON 44
So I put an oversize anchor 80 pounds and then get enough chain so I can go 8 to one in any anchor scenario and I'm carrying 740 lbs just in case I anchor in 50 feet of water in a storm. Plus I wish to carry 2 other an goes and rhode with some chain. At some point I'm worried about bow wright and other things I would like to carry. For me 200 feet of 3/8 g4 and 250 feet of octoplait plus some lesser rhode and chain makes sense. When i cruise I put another section if chain on board. Why would I want all that on board given how I use the boat and my location
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30   #27

chain; 150-200 ft with rope spliced after that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37   #28

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Chain and rope provides better holding over just chain. Also it's lighter which makes you go faster. Does require more maintenance though.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39   #29

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_za View Post
Chain and rode provides better holding over just chain. Also it's lighter which makes you go faster. Does require more maintenance though.
Depends how much chain, what bottom, boat type and other choices as has been discussed.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35   #30
cruiser

All chain rode with a snubber is the only way to go. Using part chain and part rope with a splice, you will eventually have an unpleasant experience.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope