Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2012, 00:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Sarca Excel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPines View Post
I don't know why but I get the feeling that there are vested interests involved in anchor blogs that only makes it harder to choose a suitable anchor.
No vested interests here, wanna see a copy of the invoice showing the full price I paid.
Old 29-01-2012, 20:12   #32

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Nah, Not the Invoice, Just the price, Thanks,

The factory is only 10 miles from me, I might have to go down there for a look see,

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 29-01-2012, 20:36   #33

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPines View Post
I don't know why but I get the feeling that there are vested interests involved in anchor blogs that only makes it harder to choose a suitable anchor.
I don't know why you think this either especially that this is the very first post that you have made.

As you can see from my earlier posts I phoned Rex, the developer of these anchors, in Melbourne to make an enquiry on behalf of forum members in the USA regarding availability & I posted the email reply I received from Rex word for word.

I have no vested interest at all apart from being a very happy user of one of his Super Sarca anchors and I am more than happy to spread the word.
Old 29-01-2012, 20:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Nah, Not the Invoice, Just the price, Thanks,

The factory is only 10 miles from me, I might have to go down there for a look see,

Cheers,
Brian,
Sounds like a good move - let us know what you find out when you visit as the 60Kg anchors you were planning to make would be too heavy for your cat IMO.
Old 29-01-2012, 21:48   #35

I just want an anchor that I can drop over the side and after setting,
Means I can go to bed and not have the constant fear it is going to drag.
Old 29-01-2012, 22:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I just want an anchor that I can drop over the side and after setting,
Means I can go to bed and not have the constant fear it is going to drag.
After the experience that you went through recently with your boat at Broughton Island I can certainly understand that.

I'm sure that you will find Rex at Sarca to be very obliging and he will certainly have an anchor to suit your needs. During a 6 month cruise in mid 2011 from the Gold Coast to Cairns and return we spent many nights anchored out on the reef in many locations in winds well over 30 knots and our Super Sarca had excellent holding power and always set very quickly.

Looking forward to your feedback after your visit.
Old 29-01-2012, 23:26   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Seeing as I judge ground tackle by the whole package (chain, snubbers, bridle, sufficient scope and so on), would you (Ozbullwinkle) describe the bits between your Sarca and the foredeck? The Farr 44 is a pretty light boat, so I suspect the temptation would be to go for a rope/chain rode.

I ask because frankly a lot of modern anchors seem to focus on holding power at 5:1 scope or other dodgy practices (at 30 knots, at least, not lunch) and to me that is liking recommending driving twice as fast in a diesel-powered car because in a crash you're less likely to burn to death. It's missing the point that proper scope, snubbing and even the rarely seen riding sail and kellet can all made a halfway-decent old anchor hold like a champ.

Not to detract from the probably wonderful Sarca, but anchoring is a group activity. You need to get all the elements in play, not just the pointy end.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 29-01-2012, 23:45   #38

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Depends on crusing ground but anywhere in Coral areas of Pacific and Great Barrier reef off Qld all chain rode is the only sensible choice for cruisers.

I note OZ Bullwinkle is planning for a catamaran and I suspect he will be looking at all chain.

I suspect there is not a lot between the new generation anchors. Manson, Spade, ROCNA (original specs HT steel) and SARCA Super and Excel although SARCA seem to suggest from there testing the Excel is +1.

Other factors such as availability and price then come into play.
Old 30-01-2012, 00:33   #39

Depending on where you anchor, dictates how much chain you can put out,

Being a motor vessel man, I chucked out as much chain, rope and anything else I have,

I can then sit there and ride it out, even tho the boat is some times vertical as it rides over waves, the anchor holds,
But thats way out in the bay with nothing to hit sideways,

20 feet of water, 200 feet of anchor rope, The longer the better,

Once when I did that, sudden squall came up, I stayed there for two hours, got sopping wet, Froze and couldnt see nothing, I followed the waves to shore, motored along the beach till I got to the ramp.
Said to my mate, We are going to sink on the ramp, following seas, so jump as soon as I hit it, Third wave and we were sitting on the ramp, full of water, Dragged it out with my car,
A very big Mono yacht was sitting high up on the rocks beside the ramp. washed up with the waves,
13 boats sank that day, Port Phillip Bay,
I was in a 13 foot runabout with a 40 HP outboard on it,

But if your in a narrow inlet, you just cant put out much chain, as you swing on the anchor, you will find your self on the rocks at the side of the inlet.

Even on a beach, you are restricted by submerged rocks near where you are parked, or even other boats in your area,

Not every one has miles of clear beach to park near,

I never had anchor problems with motor boats,

But I was rarely out there in the dark,

Fraser Island fishing overnighters, we never dragged anchors there either, Fishing boats, small runabouts with motors,

Common sense, conditions, there is a lot to consider when you drop your anchor,
Old 30-01-2012, 02:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Seeing as I judge ground tackle by the whole package (chain, snubbers, bridle, sufficient scope and so on), would you (Ozbullwinkle) describe the bits between your Sarca and the foredeck? The Farr 44 is a pretty light boat, so I suspect the temptation would be to go for a rope/chain rode.

I ask because frankly a lot of modern anchors seem to focus on holding power at 5:1 scope or other dodgy practices (at 30 knots, at least, not lunch) and to me that is liking recommending driving twice as fast in a diesel-powered car because in a crash you're less likely to burn to death. It's missing the point that proper scope, snubbing and even the rarely seen riding sail and kellet can all made a halfway-decent old anchor hold like a champ.

Not to detract from the probably wonderful Sarca, but anchoring is a group activity. You need to get all the elements in play, not just the pointy end.
The Super Sarca is not on the Farr 44 which carries an oversize CQR below deck which I would like to see the owner replace as it is way too heavy but thats another story.

The Super Sarca is on a Steber 36 foot Flybridge gamefishing vessel that I skippered during the 6 month passage up the Queensland coast. We use an all chain rode and always put out a minimum of 5:1 depending on the anchorage that we are in and the available swing room. I also have a bridle made up from heavy nylon rope which goes to cleats and fairleads on either side of the bow where they are spliced into a single line which has a heavy rubber snubber in it with an anchor claw to hook into the chain on the end of it which takes the load off the windlass. One other very important point that is essential when using a Super Sarca is to use the correct size Stainless steel shackle as detailed on the manufacturers website (www.anchorright.com.au) to attach the anchor to the chain. The reason being that this size shackle allows the anchor to trip as designed and if the incorrect shackle is used especially a larger one it can bypass the special shoulders on the underside of the slot thereby preventing this important feature of this anchor which could result in the loss of the anchor. (SARCA = Sand And Rock Combination Anchor)

Here is the Steber 36 & you should be able to see the anchor bridle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	36670  
Old 30-01-2012, 04:08   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
On my seawind I have the anchor, a swivel, 60 metres of chain, 40 meters of nylon and I ALWAYS lie to a nylon bridle with 6 metre arms.

Quote:
I put out what ever scope I have room for and in response to what the conditions dictate. But 5:1 is about my standard. But more can go out when needed. No kellet in existence anywhere on the boat. I think a kellet is somewhat of a furphy in the great lore of anchoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I suspect there is not a lot between the new generation anchors. Manson, Spade, ROCNA (original specs HT steel) and SARCA Super and Excel although SARCA seem to suggest from there testing the Excel is +1.

Other factors such as availability and price then come into play.
And fit, the key reason for the Excel was fit on the roller system, if I could have gone for a roll bar anchor, I might have and gone with the super sarca.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Here is the Steber 36 & you should be able to see the anchor bridle.
Yes, that's clear and thank you for the additional information. Of course, I assumed you had a Sarca on the Farr 44 on the basis that hot boats tend to have newer anchors as they tend to promise better holding with fewer kilos than the older styles, of which the venerable CQR is an example.

I would imagine it's a touch rolly facing the Pacific Ocean on your Steber in 30 knots...trust in your ground tackle is prime!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:10   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I think a kellet is somewhat of a furphy in the great lore of anchoring.
And I think I've learned a new word!
Old 30-01-2012, 14:18   #44
Marine Service Provider

Ah yes, sorry about the vernacular.
Old 30-01-2012, 16:17   #45

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Furphy is an Australian slang for an improbable story. Explanation here ...

Furphy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
arc