Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Is there any alternative to putting a shackle into the slot in the back of the Super Sarca? I would think that is very dangerous under normal anchoring conditions, as the shackle could slide down and pull your anchor out when the wind or current shifts, which is just about every day and night here on the East Coast of the U.S. I can see that it might be nice as a lunch hook in a very rocky or reefy bottom, but I wouldn't want to lie overnight on one except maybe in the trade wind areas where there is little chance of a wind shift. The Sarca Excel looks to be a pretty close knock off of the Delta anchor, which many people seem to like OK.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:33   #17

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
Sarca experiance
I have now owned and used 3 Sarca anchors the first on a 4.5m runabout,
This was a size [1] using about 4m of chain on a rope rode.This worked faultlessly.
The second Sarca was a size [2] on a 7.5m sharkcat using 6m of chain and rope This also worked flawlessly.
Our 11m cat was purchased with a C.R.Q anchor which worked fine around Brisbane.After anchoring a few times in our present location I found the cqr hard to set.I purchased a Sarca size [5] which holds great in sand and reef. The Sarca has let me down twice both times in less than 2m of water with plenty of scope on all chain rode.This anchor wont let me down a 3rd time its now decorating the shed wall.
Both times this anchor failed was weed over a sand bottom
I can now sleep all night knowing my old fashioned fishamans anchor is doing what its supposed to do.Its not as pretty but it works
I found the previous sarca post quite entertaining
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:32   #18

Are SARCA anchors available in North America, particularly the Excel? I am intrigued by all these seemingly close copies of the Delta anchor that claim superiority. At a glance, they really don't look very different from one another, but they do seem to perform differently in tests. Delta, SARCA Excel, Davis Talon XT, Kingston Quickset, Kobra, etc.
Old 15-02-2011, 09:04   #19

You probably need 3-4 anchors to cover the bases. One for kedging, one for rock and grass, one or two for sand and mud. Amount of money available will probably determine what you aquire.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:27   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Are SARCA anchors available in North America, particularly the Excel? I am intrigued by all these seemingly close copies of the Delta anchor that claim superiority. At a glance, they really don't look very different from one another, but they do seem to perform differently in tests. Delta, SARCA Excel, Davis Talon XT, Kingston Quickset, Kobra, etc.
I did notice that the Excel looked like a stealth Delta, but it had ears on the side of the flukes, which probably gives it more holding power, along with the cross bar in the back. The deeper you can bury the things the better they hold. The mud/sand on the surface is softer then below.

But I see now that Delta has added the cross bar too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sarca-excel-gal.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	23830   Click image for larger version

Name:	sarca-excel2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	23831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Delta.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	23832  
Old 15-02-2011, 09:28   #21

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Paint that flat black and you can call it the 'Excel stealth'
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 19:06   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
But I see now that Delta has added the cross bar too.
What? The Delta has always had the reinforcement strut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I did notice that the Excel looked like a stealth Delta, but it had ears on the side of the flukes, which probably gives it more holding power
Why?

Think very carefully about why the Delta was not designed "with ears" to "give it more holding power" (well actually it does have two chines/folds in the fluke side, vs the Excel's one, but the profiles are different). The people at Simpson-Lawrence who designed it were not stupid and even their own patent shows their awareness and consideration of a number of possible design variations. Why go with the exact one they did? You think this stuff didn't occur to them? Why avoid seemingly obvious "improvements"?
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 19:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
I found the previous sarca post quite entertaining
cheers Steve
I find every anchor post/thread entertaining... and I positively roll round the floor when Craig and Brian get going... man its better than Olive n Popeye...
But... I guess they gorra put the bread on de table.... even if it is served with Sweetbreads...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 20:12   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
What? The Delta has always had the reinforcement strut.
You are right! I had to go look at mine. I couldn't remember. Now I know I'm getting old.

Old 16-02-2011, 10:02   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I find every anchor post/thread entertaining... and I positively roll round the floor when Craig and Brian get going... man its better than Olive n Popeye.
Yeah, but I am going to look better than him after I pick up one of those Panama Jack hats at the boat show">Miami Boat Show this week that you recommended.

I would check directly with SARCA and ask them why they made the design changes vs. the Delta. By their web site, they seem to have a handle on anchor design.

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 14:52   #26

Brian: Is it correct that Fortress anchors are still manufactured in the U.S.A.? There don't seem to be too many anchors that are actually built here these days. I wonder if Danforths are still U.S. made? I believe Lewmars and Rocnas are all Chinese built now.
Old 16-02-2011, 15:01   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Yeah, but I am going to look better than him after I pick up one of those Panama Jack hats at the Miami Boat Show this week that you recommended.
Regards,
Brian
Fortress Marine Anchors
Nice one just make sure the brims stiff enough to hold its shape... unless they're doing brushed leather ones these days in which case your made...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 16:13   #28

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
brian you will never be able to keep up with Boatman's avatar changes however.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:25   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Brian: Is it correct that Fortress anchors are still manufactured in the U.S.A.? There don't seem to be too many anchors that are actually built here these days. I wonder if Danforths are still U.S. made? I believe Lewmars and Rocnas are all Chinese built now.
Yes, we do still manufacture our anchors in our Fort Lauderdale, Florida office warehouse facility. We receive e-mails on occasion from the Chinese with broken English messages like, "We make you very fine anchor" and they will attach a portfolio with knock offs of every type of steel anchor imaginable. It might be fair to say that they copy everything and innovate nothing. We have no interest in pursuing a relationship with them for a wide variety of reasons.

To the best of my knowledge, Danforth anchors are still manufactured by Tiedown Engineering in Atlanta, Georgia and they have also been manufacturing West Marine's private label steel fluke-type anchors for a number of years. That said, it would come as no surprise if Tiedown or West Marine was now sourcing these anchors in China.

There is a steel Danforth type anchor called the Sentinel that I believe is still manufactured in the USA by Dutton-Lainson in Nebraska.

That's it!

Brian
Fortress Marine Anchors
Old 16-02-2011, 17:35   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
brian you will never be able to keep up with Boatman's avatar changes however.
How true. I noticed that he changed his picture, I suspect because he grew tired of warding off female readers who were attracted to his debonair "Indiana Jones" look.

Tags
arc