Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 12:58   #16
R_C

Boat: 38' Marine Trader
Re: Saving my new chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A question that may sound silly, but re you sure that the "browning" really means that the zinc is gone from those links? We've had the galvo stained and discolored many times without loss of protection. On the other hand, we've had the zinc completely stripped when lying on th bottom just off the Suva yacht club... twice (stupid me!).

At any rate, if the zinc is truly gone, and it were my chain, I'd hack out the affected links and rejoin with a quality chain joiner, as we have done several times. No doubt this comment will bring on the usual storm of over-zealous protests re weak links, etc, but it is a viable and reasonable practice. There have been lengthy discussions of chain joiners here on CF that you might enjoy reading.

Jim
When I first saw the browning section of chain I noticed it was near the waterline and rationalized that it might just be discoloration. Then I recalled the episode 10 years earlier so I closely inspected the chain. The zinc coating is definitely flaking off the chain and rusting. 10 years ago I cut the bad section of chain out of the 30 feet we used and used a chain joiner. The joiner never failed but I did replace it several times because it always rusted. Maybe there are higher quality joiners but it was still the weak link and it always bothered me. That's why I prefer to try the cold galvanize first.
R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 17:57   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

In an earlier post RaymondR mentioned galvanizing rods so I did a little online research. Seems you can do hot galvanizing on a small scale yourself.

Buy some galvanizing rods (a zinc alloy I assume), hear the chain and melt the rod onto the chain (don't heat the rod, use the heat of the chain to melt it like a proper solder joint). Google will give you some good step by step instructions.

From what I understand if done correctly, this will be the same as hot dip galvanizing done professionally.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 18:07   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When you take the chain to the galvanizing place, for re-galvanizing, one of the things they do is clean it in acid. I understand this is necessary for the galvo to stick. I am told the acid they use is nitric, not an acid most home hobbyists handle.

I guess I'm hoping R_C tries the galvo rod and reports back. It would be interesting if the heating of the chain "cleans" it adequately for the galvo done with the rod to work...or I suppose maybe it might be a scam....

A.
Old 03-02-2016, 21:38   #19

A very long time ago I'd sometimes use galvanised steel sheet for chassis repairs.
Fumes from welding through zinc make you feel like your throat and lungs are on fire.

Definitely something to avoid breathing in. After the first time I always ground off the galv where I was going to weld.

I expect someone here will know if there are any serious health implications - I only know that it felt as if there would be.

Can't remember if I ever welded it with gas or if it had the same effect at lower than electric welding temperatures.

Also used to spray a lot of International Interzinc 72 epoxy zinc primer, then bake it off at around 210C.
No choking fumes at that temperature.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote