Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 12:20   #1

Seatiger 555 Broken Pawl

I just finished pulling the windlass off of the sprit of the boat. It had locked up on us a few months back and I figured it was in need of some major help. Its been neglected since before we bought the boat.

I knew the base had a problem. The "chain loop" under the gypsy was obviously missing a piece that got broken somewhere along the line but that didn't bother me much since its not functional.

But anyway, once I ripped the old beast off I noticed on the front starboard side a part that a bolt would have screwed into was broken off. I hadn't noticed it before since the front of this thing sits up under the staysail boom on the foredeck where I don't look often. After reviewing the manual I see that it would be where the gypsy pawl would have screwed in.

So... Could I through bolt through the casing and put a pawl on? Operate without a pawl? Is this pawl an operational part of the gypsy or a safety feature? What is its purpose?

Also, do you think this old neglected beast is worth repairing? I'm sure I have a busted spring or something locking me up. I haven't pulled the plate off yet.

Old 13-02-2012, 12:51   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Re: Seatiger 555 broken pawl

The pawl is used to keep the gypsy from rotating when you want to loosen up the clutch in order to drop the anchor.
My SL Hyspeed locked up also. I opened it up and cold not find out what caused the lock-up. Put it all back together and it worked!!!! I think that one of the "one way sprockets had some kind of problem which I unknowingly corrected through disassembly/reassmbly.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 13:01   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

I am currently restoring a 1976 vintage Seatiger for my boat. The pawl serves the critical function of preventing the chain gypsy from reversing when using the windlass to retrieve you anchor. The cases are of cast aluminum. Marinetex makes an expoxy that has been used to repair engine blocks. Once you have serviced the windlass you might be able to re-attach the pawl by threading the bolt back into the case then use a small ammount of Marinetex and pressing it into the broken part of the case with a small spatula, then shape it to look like the origional profile. If you wax the bolt before you screw it in to the case, I wouldn't be suprised if once the epoxy dries if you couldn't remove the bolt as origional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass Beaded.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	37349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage 1976 Simpson Lawrence Seatiger Manual Windlass.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	37350  

Old 13-02-2012, 13:05   #4

While the Seatiger is extremely robust and elegantly simple in it's construction, they need periodic servicing, I.E. break them down clean and grease.
Old 13-02-2012, 16:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I am currently restoring a 1976 vintage Seatiger for my boat. The pawl serves the critical function of preventing the chain gypsy from reversing when using the windlass to retrieve you anchor. The cases are of cast aluminum. Marinetex makes an expoxy that has been used to repair engine blocks. Once you have serviced the windlass you might be able to re-attach the pawl by threading the bolt back into the case then use a small ammount of Marinetex and pressing it into the broken part of the case with a small spatula, then shape it to look like the origional profile. If you wax the bolt before you screw it in to the case, I wouldn't be suprised if once the epoxy dries if you couldn't remove the bolt as origional.
So when you're working the windlass to haul in, between handle pulls, the gypsy will free wheel if that pawl isn't in place?
Old 13-02-2012, 16:36   #6

Yes thats correct
Old 13-02-2012, 16:40   #7

Quote:
Yes thats correct
UGH!

I also noticed the "rope chain stripper" is missing when looking at the parts manual. Looking more and more like yet another few boat bucks just got sunk into something I wasn't expecting.
Old 13-02-2012, 16:45   #8

The 555 is one of the best manual windlasses ever made and given some basic maintainance will last longer than you or I. I have a friend who has one of these completely rebuilt, we were just speaking about it last night, he would probably let it go for a reasonable price. Might be a better solution rather than fixing what you have.
Old 13-02-2012, 16:47   #9

Quote:
The 555 is one of the best manual windlasses ever made and given some basic maintainance will last longer than you or I. I have a friend who has one of these completely rebuilt, we were just speaking about it last night, he would probably let it go for a reasonable price. Might be a better solution rather than fixing what you have.
If you wouldn't mind asking how much he'd like for it I'd love to know. I'm going to pull mine apart and see how the inside looks. I might try to repair if it isn't too bad, but if it is I'd love options in my back pocket.
Old 13-02-2012, 17:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
If you wouldn't mind asking how much he'd like for it I'd love to know. I'm going to pull mine apart and see how the inside looks. I might try to repair if it isn't too bad, but if it is I'd love options in my back pocket.
The works are all investment grade gears and shafts, usually the only thing that goes are the springs. There is a company in the UK that supports the unit. The chain stripper is available. There should be no reason that with a little tlc you can't have it working like a champ again.

If you PM me with your email address I have the origional manual and assembly/disassembly manuals and would be happy to send them to you.
Old 13-02-2012, 17:11   #11

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

cburger - please email me those documents, bgreif (at) fau (dot) edu, thanks!
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 17:18   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

UK parts company: Homepage | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 17:22   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
+1 Have dealt with John and he is very helpful for anything S-L
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 18:23   #14

Cburger, your private message box is full. But you can email me at target9000 at yahoo. Would really appreciate it!