Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 14:48   #1

Boat: Hatteras my 63
Send a message via AIM to Mjeinstein
Second anchor

I own a classic 63 ft hatteras. First anchor is a heavy plow. Works fine. Want to add a 2nd anchor for possible issues. First anchor is all chain. Is 2nd anchor required to be same size or can it be smaller?
Mjeinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 14:57   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Second anchor

My vote would be to go for a Fortress FX85 or a Guardian G85
They are light weight, great storm anchors that can be launched from a dinghy.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 15:10   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's nice to have your 2nd anchor have similar holding power to that of your primary/1st anchor. Though it's recommended that it be of another type, so that it's good in bottoms that the 1st one doesn't excel in. Thus a Danforth type is often suggested in addition to a Plow, with Fortress anchors being common. Particularly for their holding power, & light weight. Along with their being easy to disassemble.

It also doesn't hurt to have another anchor in addition to those, especially if the first two are large enough so that handling them in the dinghy may be difficult. In case you need to load one into the dinghy & drop it while the mother ship is fixed in position, or aground, etc. And your non-primary anchors needn't be on all chain rodes.

You might consider something like a Rocna, or Mantus too. As they hold even better than do plows. With Mantus's being able to be taken apart. Ditto on Spade anchors.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 15:11   #4

Boat: Hatteras my 63
Send a message via AIM to Mjeinstein

I own a fortress 65. Would us that I expect. Ideas on a rail mount other than a deck mount I have?
Mjeinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 05:48   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeinstein View Post
I own a fortress 65. Would us that I expect. Ideas on a rail mount other than a deck mount I have?
I have a Windline rail bracket for my fortress anchor which is mounted on the stern rail. The bracket can be configured a number of different ways depending on how you want to mount the anchor, and is adjustable for different sizes. Only downside is you need to remove one of the mud palms.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 08:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I have a Windline rail bracket for my fortress anchor which is mounted on the stern rail. The bracket can be configured a number of different ways depending on how you want to mount the anchor, and is adjustable for different sizes. Only downside is you need to remove one of the mud palms.
They do make an adapter for the mud palm for around 20$.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I own a classic 63 ft hatteras. First anchor is a heavy plow. Works fine. Want to add a 2nd anchor for possible issues. First anchor is all chain. Is 2nd anchor required to be same size or can it be smaller?
I will just put this right here.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Spade.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	136613   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 combo lableled.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	136614  

Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:26   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Mjeinstein,

The late founder of our company owned a 1981 77-ft Hatteras on which he crossed the Atlantic a few times and he completed a circumnavigation in his early 70s.

image hosting 15mb

He had our largest model, the 69 lb (32 kg) FX-125 model on his bow and a back up 21 lb (10 kg) FX-37.

Regarding your question, I think it depends on your intended use of the 2nd anchor.

Generally speaking, if the intent is to use this anchor on the stern to keep the boat from swinging, then Fortress owners will typically use a size or two smaller than what our chart recommends (ex: FX-37), and if the 2nd anchor will be used as a back up storm anchor, then going up a size or two larger is advisable (ex: FX-85 or FX-125).

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor