Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:18   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Set Anchor

I often see people dive on their anchor, but even when it is not set they do nothing.
I can only think they do not know what a set anchor should look like.
So here is a photo of my Rocna 55 showing a reasonably good set in hard sand.
After strong wind it will bury much deeper, but as the wind it reduces the visibility I have not managed to get a photo of this. (I have got to get an underwater camera), the enclosed picture was taken from the tender in 6m of water)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocna set large.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	19136  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wish you'd get rid of that prop' tangler.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I wish you'd get rid of that prop' tangler.
Gord the rope looks a bit dangerous in the photo, but it is a bit of an illusion created by the clear water. The float only extends up about 1.5m.
Its there so you can still find the anchor in dense weed or if the anchor buries completely. It also helps if you have to dive and attach a line to pull the anchor out backwards.
The water is 6.4m deep so the rope is about 4.9m (15 feet) below the surface, well below the prop of any boat likely to come in the anchorage.
The float is permanently attached, but I tie it back to the chain with a cable tie if the anchorage is shallow.
Old 11-09-2010, 15:05   #4
cruiser

I'm interested in that extra line too. It looks like there's a float on it too. Can you give the specs for it? Have you ever had to use it?
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 00:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I'm interested in that extra line too. It looks like there's a float on it too. Can you give the specs for it? Have you ever had to use it?
This short underwater trip line is common in Europe. Some people use floating line, others use a small float. The float ideally wants to be small (to just float the line) and tough. I use a small plastic foam filled fishing float about an inch and half in diameter. I found it washed up on the beach.
I have used the line to help find the anchor when diving on a few occasions, but I have not fouled this anchor yet.
I have fouled other anchors at when you have to free dive down the less depth the better. For anchors like the CQR a trip line is also very difficult to attach to the crown when the anchor is set. Threading a line through a pre-made loop (the one with the small float on it) is easier and rather than trying to tie a knot the loop allows you to double the line back to the surface saving more time when trying to hold your breath.
In short I think its a good idea the only drawback is the need to tie it back if anchoring in very shallow depths.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06   #6

Agreed on the line. When freediving an anchor it's *much* nicer to have some brightly lit object that you can hook into very easily, rather than having to tie a knot. I'd like to see anyone freedive to 20', find your anchor, and tie a bowline on it. You might as well play a game of chess down there.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Image:Rocna-buoyed-short-retrieval-line.jpg (Rocna Knowledge Base)
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:16   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
So, what's this hostility about having a buoyed trip line? Or a buoy on the rode? Just don't drive over them, assuming they're visible. Just keep your distance. They were there first.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:51   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
So, what's this hostility about having a buoyed trip line? Or a buoy on the rode? Just don't drive over them, assuming they're visible. Just keep your distance. They were there first.
People are concerned that a rope like this, unlike a normal trip line,could be lying just a meter under the surface and then not be visible, but still be in a position to catch a prop.
This will only happen in very shallow anchorages (where the line is less needed anyway) but it is important to remember to tie the rope back to the chain, or remove it, if this risks exists
Old 12-09-2010, 16:00   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
I used the float in the beginning, then found it I spend more time collecting the line and buoy and avoiding getting it into the prop that collecting the rode and anchor.

I still believe it is a nice to have just such a pain in the lower back when the departure time comes.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 01:42   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I used the float in the beginning, then found it I spend more time collecting the line and buoy and avoiding getting it into the prop that collecting the rode and anchor.

I still believe it is a nice to have just such a pain in the lower back when the departure time comes.

b.
I think you are refering to a "normal" anchor buoy that sits on the surface.
The line seen in the photo is only 1.5m (5 feet) long so there is no chance of getting it around the prop.
Old 17-09-2010, 19:11   #12

If I anchor in an area where (fowling is a problem) I attach a trip line to the anchor and the rode with sufficient slack that it comes over the bow roller before it gets taught.
Old 17-09-2010, 19:41   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
My Oh My Gord is testy today. All it took was one image of a Rocna (let alone mentioning it) and an argument ensues. I say," if the darn thing fouls shoot it!"

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 22:08   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A bouy that is deep isn't a problem but in previous discussions I've read that a surface bouy can tangle with another boat when swinging. Keeping your distance in a tight anchorage isn't always possible - especially where someone has a lot of rode out. That's a different story then this float of course.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor