Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 16:08   #16

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Re: Shackles and chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Must be a pretty dull life you lead seeing most everything comes from or at least partially comes from China.

Take the computer/tablet/phone you are using for this forum, clothes on your back, car that you drive for example.

Yup... I have an old Galaxy Note 4. I have an old Nexus 7 Tablet and I usually buy Dell. I buy from brand name companies that have something to lose if they pooch it. I will not be buying any Chinese chain no matter what you say Simi. I will not be buying any no name electronics or batteries either. Simply not worth the risk.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 16:36   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Might need to rethink your obvious and ill informed bias

Samsung galaxy......
Quote:
At present, Samsung Electronics is running six mobile phone manufacturing facilities in the six countries of Vietnam, China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and Korea. The two factories in China have a maximum capacity of 150 million phones.
Nexus......
Quote:
Nexus won't just be assembled and manufactured in China, but designed there as well.
Dell....
Quote:
Dell will start PC production at its base in Chengdu City in western China in February or later of 2012, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers. However, this will not be first count of Dell manufacturing its products in China as the firm already has a manufacturing facility in Xiamen.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 17:18   #18

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Might need to rethink your obvious and ill informed bias

Samsung galaxy......

Nexus......

Dell....

It works for me Simi so why would I change it. I will take the advice of my buddy who runs a chandlary who says...

"Chinese chain is cheaper but who knows if it will run through the windlass and how long it will last".

And he has been buying Chinese since forever. I also notice that he had to change Chinese suppliers of other things several times.

Cheaper is not always better, sometimes it is just cheaper.

Anyway, when I need your advice on where to buy my stuff I will be sure to PM you.

Thanks.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 18:12   #19

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post

Anyway, when I need your advice on where to buy my stuff I will be sure to PM you.

Thanks.
I wasn't providing advice on where to buy stuff, I was simply pointing out that every bit of reasoning you have provided is flawed.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 19:11   #20

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...isguided-myths

"Claws of the Panda" interesting read in general and reflects upon Chinese manufacturing.
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 19:32   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I wasn't providing advice on where to buy stuff, I was simply pointing out that every bit of reasoning you have provided is flawed.

Chuckle, chuckle....
Old 03-05-2019, 08:57   #22

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

As a retired professional engineering buyer, I can assure the OP and others there is nothing intrinsically "wrong" with China, India, or, indeed, any other country as a country of origin. There is, equally, nothing intrinsically "right" with UK, USA, or, bless them, EU origin -goods.
"Some" extremely high-quality products are built in China and India. They've built space-craft, satellites, probably higher-tech phones than the West........
But, telling the goodies apart from the baddies - when it's *that* piece of chain that's the only thing holding you off rocky lee shore in 50 knots of breeze - hmmmm
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:56   #23

Except that shackles “made in the USA” are required to be forged. That’s why they’re generally more expensive. All shackles used in the US for overhead lifting must be stamped with USA or FORGED. I believe CE stamped shackles are also forged. I use only forged shackles on my anchor gear.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote