Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 13:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Simpson Lawrence Manual Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post
I'm guessing you might have a S-L Seatiger (S-L 555). I have a perfectly fine one & had one previously on another boat too. I also have the instruction manual which accompanies the winch. He e are some potential addresses for assistance with parts, slspares.co.uk , sl.spares@btconnect.com sandydavidson85@gmail.com Page not found

Jim O'Dell
M/V Mello Moon
Titusville, Florida
321-266-3490
+1 for John Macmasters at SL Spares, he has the knowledge and the parts for most SL stuff
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 02:46   #17
JMK

Boat: Vancouver 28

So the SL windlass on my boat is actually a Hyspeed. I assume that is a SL Hyspeed 510? It is frozen. That is the handle moves back and forth, but not the gypsy. There was some advice up-thread I'll try.

Question re: chain - the gypsy on the SL spare parts website says 10 mm. What is the U.S. chain equivalent that will fit that?

Thanks,
J.M.
JMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 06:16   #18

Boat: Pearson 385

Chances are that the chain has broken, rather than frozen. That's why your handle will move but the winch doesn't turn. Mine was in this condition when I got our boat, and after getting it apart (not easy after years of sitting) I also found a bad sprocket in addition to a broken chain. I ordered 2 new sprockets and chains from SL Spares, they were relatively cheap and installation was simple. Just remember that both sprockets go on the same way ... it's the different chain paths that give you motion on both strokes.
Old 18-05-2015, 09:23   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post

Question re: chain - the gypsy on the SL spare parts website says 10 mm. What is the U.S. chain equivalent that will fit that?

Thanks,
J.M.
The chain equivalent for 10mm is 3/8 Hi Test (NOT BBB as BBB has shorter links).

I have a Sea Tiger and also a Lofrens and have used 10mm and 3/8 Hi Test on the same winch gypsy with no problem
Old 18-05-2015, 09:54   #20

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
So the SL windlass on my boat is actually a Hyspeed. I assume that is a SL Hyspeed 510? It is frozen. That is the handle moves back and forth, but not the gypsy. There was some advice up-thread I'll try.

Thanks,
J.M.
X2 on the chain is either broken or off the sproket. Worth opening it all up to investigate and decide if it is worth investing in.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:08   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
The chain equivalent for 10mm is 3/8 Hi Test (NOT BBB as BBB has shorter links).

I have a Sea Tiger and also a Lofrens and have used 10mm and 3/8 Hi Test on the same winch gypsy with no problem
According to the Seatiger manual the 10 mm gypsy (RCB70) will take:
  • 3/8 American BBB
  • 3/8 American High Test
  • 9.5mm S-L 0058004 / 0058202 (whatever this is)
  • 10 mm Most European
Are you saying this is incorrect Triumphant? I haven't tested it, but it sounds like you're talking from actual experience.
Old 18-05-2015, 15:05   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
According to the Seatiger manual the 10 mm gypsy (RCB70) will take:
  • 3/8 American BBB
  • 3/8 American High Test
  • 9.5mm S-L 0058004 / 0058202 (whatever this is)
  • 10 mm Most European
Are you saying this is incorrect Triumphant? I haven't tested it, but it sounds like you're talking from actual experience.
Good point

I have only been told that BBB will not work on a 10mm gysp.

I know that Lofrens have a different gypsey for BBB. I was playing around with a 2nd hand Lofrens Tigress recently with a 3/8 Hi test gypsy and BBB chain and the windlass was not happy, it kept on jumping, however, there were also issues with the way it had been mounted

The best thing to do is to email John MacMasters at SL Spares in Scotland for the definitive answer, he is the expert, very helpful and is now manufacturing parts for all the SL windlasses
Old 23-02-2016, 07:52   #23
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Moore View Post
We have just replaced our Simpson-Lawrence Anchorman manual windlass with a Lewmar electric. It was very lightly used but we are now seniors and electric seemed right for us. We can offer it at a great price. Let us know if this interests you. Barb and Jack Moore
Barb, I know this thread is a bit dated, and you have not been on the site for some time, but I have a friend who would be interested in this Seatiger if it is still available. Send me a PM with contact information. If you post count will not let you send a PM, please advise in thread, and we will work something out.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 07:41   #24

Boat: Bristol Sloop, 40', Song
Wink Re: Simpson Lawrence Manual Windlass

I'm nearly finished re-building my S-L SeaTiger 555 manual windlass: very time consuming, not complicated, but the parts are expensive and available from SL Parts in the UK. The proper grease is essential and is hard to find, but is available. Re-chroming the 3 parts and powder coating the case is not essential, but is eye candy on the bow!
dghaynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 08:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
two boats and probably 20 years ago we had a manual S-L windlass. It was so slow to raise chain we never used it and pulled it up by hand. The windlass didn't like being ignored and seized up in protest. When we replaced it with a Lofrans Cayman electric one (and went to a bigger anchor and more chain, one size up too) we began to enjoy anchoring again as we could now do so much more easily and quickly and when the usual idiot arrived too close we could choose to move elsewhere ourselves if we wanted instead of just stay put and hope.

INvest in a newelectri windlass is my advice, if the manual ones are so good you should easily find buyer for yours on ebay
"Invest in a no electric windlass" is easy to type. We have an old manual, been cruising g for eight years with it. To replace we are looking at about $5k(windlass plus ancillaries) pluS a week of hard labour on the docker (more $$). Will probably go electric someday, but at this stage of life rather spend $5k on other projects
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:36   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghaynie View Post
I'm nearly finished re-building my S-L SeaTiger 555 manual windlass: very time consuming, not complicated, but the parts are expensive and available from SL Parts in the UK. The proper grease is essential and is hard to find, but is available. Re-chroming the 3 parts and powder coating the case is not essential, but is eye candy on the bow!
Nice to hear. I own a ST555, but haven’t installed it yet. I bought it against the day my old bronze Plath/ABI manual windlass gives up the ghost. So far though, it just keeps working fine.

What kind of grease did you use? I probably should some maintenance on the plath .
Old 16-03-2017, 12:08   #27

Boat: Bristol Sloop, 40', Song

The grease is somewhat critical and must have the consistency of warm butter. I used Shell Gadus S2 V22000. An alternative I used in 2002 was obtained from Florida Rigging & Hydraulics (I do not have the specs on that grease and Florida Rigging could/would not provide the specs either).
dghaynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 04:25   #28

Boat: no boat any more

our hyspeed was a total piece of cr...
there were czech made bicyle-freewheel sprockets & puny chains inside! the "bearings" were tufnol & plastic bushes - would have been fine if they'd sold it "for boats max 25'!" I recall it as a useless piece of gear, had to take it down ever so often...
imho definitely not worth spending any money or time on it!
& fwiw: the 2 speed manual goito we got afertwards was absolutely up to the job, very robust, we even got an old model with a band (not plate) brake/clutch, BUT: the powerful gear was way too slow & the "fast" gear was not powerful enough.
imho the only way to go: get an electric one with emergency manual operation
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:51   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dghaynie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:24   #30

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmartin View Post
Hi JM,
You might find what you want here: Homepage | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares
I have some PDF manuals, which I can send you if you send me a personal message with contact email. Good luck. Martin
Jim, we do not have any markings on our windless. Believe it to be a Sl500. Do you have a manual for that model? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Islena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, manual windlass, simpson lawrence, wind, windlass