Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 19:44   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Snag ate my anchor

Bummer, Is there no other boats close by where you lost the anchor? That job cries out for someone to give you a helping hand. It wont be fun trying to saw the log from a kayak. I like A64 pilots chain hook suggestion Or Cal 40Johns but you need a winch hand. Dont have extensive Bay area experience but think a Danforth will be fine from what I've seen there. They can trap weed if they slide but if you test you are hooked in you should be fine. Mixed rode is fine if you dont anchor in rock or coral, just keep an eye on the where the line joins the chain as thats the first bit to wear.
Hope the logs are pretty rotten so you can rip thru them quickly if you go the saw way. Good luck & please let us know the next chapter in the saga
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 19:54   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
SC, at that weight, and with a boat length of chain, it may be a bit of a challenge to bare hand your new ground tackle. Or are you beginning to consider a manual windlass? I bet you could design one to self-flake the rode down.

Ann
I have a system. I pull the chain or line in, till the anchor is near vertical. Then I take rode or a line with an anchor hook back to the jib winch in the cockpit. In windy conditions or when a ^&*( tree snags the rode, I use two lines and two winches. It's slow but it works with out too much pain and suffering.

This puts me next to the helm and engine controls. I use my two speed winch to take the slack out and then motor forward to break out the hook. Then use the jib winch to pull the anchor at least 1/2 way up. Set the autopilot and go to the boat and get the last bit O chain and anchor up. It works pretty well. Not as nice as an electric windless. But not hard to do either. Time consuming sometimes.

I learned real early that I was not going to break out an anchor by hand.

I expect breaking out a mantus anchor might be a bit more fun. I will see how it goes.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 20:44   #63

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Had that problem on the Tenntom. It was too murky to see and too dangerous to dive single handed. was able to get a hook on the working end of the chain and spent a couple hours pulling and rolling the tree to get the 175 foot of chain puled back the other way. ended up bending the anchor shank as it was hook on another tree. I was able to bend it back and use it till I was able to afford an other. I live on SSD and won't give up cruising. So I understand the "lack there of" funds thing is. some times eating healthy takes a back seat for a week or two till the next check.

using a bow saw will probably work and for safety try tiring of the logs so they won't come your way when they come apart. you might even wear a harness feathered to the boat short enough to keep your head above water. and if the boat drifts away when you get free you won't have to chase it. The magnet sounds smart around a snag. try locating the chain near the bitter end, it'll be lighter than lifting in the middle.

I've read many of your posts and you sound knowledgable and capable. So have faith and succeed.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 21:16   #64

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Talking about safety, not only in this case of retrieving Sailorchick's anchor by diving, but anytime anyone dives down and starts yanking up on the shank or even the log that might be in the way, remember that you might be sinking your legs into a soft bottom and that would create a suction around your ankles and hold you down underwater just like quicksand!!.
Every action has a reaction. Don't get your feet or legs stuck into the soft bottom by trying to pull up on something or carry a heavy weight while trying to walk on the bottom. You would get stuck in the mud and run out of breath trying to get off.
I like that idea of dragging the whole mess of tangled trees, chain and anchor in SC's case, to the shore and deal with it there. Good luck retrieving it. Once in the Florida Everglades at Dead Man's River, ( Beware of Alligators), my anchor snagged a King sized mattress with all those springy supports!. The unexpected happens, just be very safe dealing with it.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 23:38   #65

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

SC. Best poor mans (or chicks) windlass I have seen is a simple chain pawl built into the bow roller. It acts as a one way rachet so saving your back between pulls, and your fingers in nasty weather when the chain can snatch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26   #66

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
SC. Best poor mans (or chicks) windlass I have seen is a simple chain pawl built into the bow roller. It acts as a one way rachet so saving your back between pulls, and your fingers in nasty weather when the chain can snatch.

I think that you're referring to a Chain Stopper, kind of like the one's in this link, non? Defender.com Search Results: chain stopper
If not, it'd be interesting to see what you mean. But yes, it's a great point to bring up.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:40   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I think that you're referring to a Chain Stopper, kind of like the one's in this link, non? Defender.com Search Results: chain stopper
If not, it'd be interesting to see what you mean. But yes, it's a great point to bring up.
No, one of these works a whole lot better for hand hauling.

http://www.inyourfootsteps.com/saili..._anchor_chain/

They used to be common enough. The old versions of the Hiscock's books show them.

These days you often need taller side cheeks on the bow roller so the anchor shank can fit under the pawl (or you make the pawl removable). This then means a longer pawl arm. But if well designed the action is smooth, automatic, and you can pull from a natural angle, either sitting or standing.

Flip the pawl over to drop the anchor.

I Just welded one up from a bit of stainless using the retaining bolt from the bow roller.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:40   #68

http://www.l32.jbrems.dk/Tiller_Talk...rs/anchors.htm

Here is another one.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:38   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
No, one of these works a whole lot better for hand hauling.

footsteps - Gaining more control and saving handwork when working the anchor chain

They used to be common enough. The old versions of the Hiscock's books show them.

These days you often need taller side cheeks on the bow roller so the anchor shank can fit under the pawl (or you make the pawl removable). This then means a longer pawl arm. But if well designed the action is smooth, automatic, and you can pull from a natural angle, either sitting or standing.

Flip the pawl over to drop the anchor.

I Just welded one up from a bit of stainless using the retaining bolt from the bow roller.
Thank you for that. I had read about the Hiscock's chain paw, but never saw how it actually worked.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:43   #70

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As someone who poked around the bay a bit as a kid, I can imagine your pain! Glad to see you are getting a new Mantus! Trip lines have worked well for me in my area when I get snagged on kelp a rock or some old abandoned metallic mass. BTW I got a Danforth 20H for 20 bucks and a 13S for free, and they are great as long as pulled in one direction. (Many folks are unloading old Danforths I guess) Bahamian mooring with trip lines is pretty darn reliable.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 15:38   #71

Boat: Nauticat 32

There must be some young men in the marina eager to demonstrate how good they are in getting the anchor back up.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 20:50   #72

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I caught a power cable once...that was scary...took an hour, but I got my anchor back and was not electrocuted. Also caught a tree and hauled it up one night...the wind was so strong it dragged my anchor and tree along the bottom. Actually, the tree stopped the anchor from digging in. No windlass...hard, hard work pulling that up. Luckily was able to struggle it free before any lee shore found me. And finally, pulled up an old metal frame piece from a sunken ship when anchored off fort henry here in Kingston. A known site for old shipwrecks. That thing was so big and heavy, and I was alone too...understand all your pain and concerns. Again, luck was with me, and after scratching up my bow for a while it plunged back to the depths it came from. Realized later I should have held onto it for the historical/shipwreck society here. I was just glad to have my anchor back, and not break my back or the boat.

With the adventure come risks...but also rewards.

I've got a 15kg bruce here if you want it. I keep it in my shed (on land). I know its a good anchor, because the shed hasn't moved an inch since I put the anchor in there.

I sold my boat, but still have 4 anchors and more chain than any non-boat owner should have lying around.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 21:15   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

I've got a 15kg bruce here if you want it. I keep it in my shed (on land). I know its a good anchor, because the shed hasn't moved an inch since I put the anchor in there.
ROFL. Thanks for the offer, but I've a 44# mantus coming for my little boat. I had a 33# claw before moving to the 44# 5 ish years ago. The 33# always held, but it sometimes needed a second set to get through weeds. The 44# claw never had an issue setting.

It's not the first time I've hauled up treasure from the deep. Had another stump a few years ago and 1" steel cable (not power, but barge rigging I think). Always a fun time.

Today my autopilot packed it up, Fried a power transistor (or two) and two capacitors. I have extra power transistors (somewhere), but no ^&*( capacitors. It's been a fun week.

Good news, so far the danforth is sticking pretty good in winds 25 gusting 35. (typical summer delta winds). Of course the autopilot packed up in a narrow channel with a long fetch. Another Delightful day.
Old 02-07-2016, 21:21   #74

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

+1 on chain stoppers.

see

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-80188.html

Hope you get your tackle back Sailorchic34
Old 04-07-2016, 15:56   #75

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

A Bruce is no good in bottom grass. Just slides across the top.

40 years or so ago we snagged a submarine cable! Got it near the surface and then dived down and held the cable up with a rope. Easy! But your problem is not that simple.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor