Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2019, 13:44   #1
rlg

Snubber

Ive never used a snubber before as I only used 50ft of 3/8 chain before nylon and let it all out so it wasn't necessary. Im increasing the amount of chain I'm using and am now going to need a snubber. Im planning two 15ft lengths of 5/8 line to cleats and the other ends to chain. What is the best method to connect snubber to chain?
Thanks, Rob
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 13:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Snubber

Hi Rob,

A couple of options. The easiest, cheapest to implement is to just tie the snubbers to the chain. I use a Prusik knot but there are other knots that will work.

Quicker and easier to attach is some kind of chain hook. The most common, cheapest chain hooks tend to fall off when the chain gets slack so those that use chain hooks usually go for a more elaborate version. Mantus Anchors makes a nice, guaranteed not to fall off hook.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 14:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
What is the best method to connect snubber to chain?
Soft shackle is quite popular.

they are light, inexpensive to make, quite strong and foolproof and don't fall off the chain as metal chain hooks can.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 14:50   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Soft shackle is quite popular.

they are light, inexpensive to make, quite strong and foolproof and don't fall off the chain as metal chain hooks can.

Agree.

We’ve added a Dyneema climbing webbing loop as the UHMWPE soft shackle doesn’t fit between the links very well and because the fibres soften up in the water get chafed by the chain links.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	205131

The soft shackle was made very long as we were originally putting it through the chain. You could use a much shorter one.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:54   #5
rlg

That soft shackle setup looks great. How exactly do you connect snubber to soft shackle? So many options, i dont want to mess it up. Also what exactly should the recommended snubber lines be? I was thinking 3 strand dock lines but maybe theres something better?
Thanks again
Old 15-12-2019, 17:20   #6

Quote:
That soft shackle setup looks great. How exactly do you connect snubber to soft shackle? So many options, i dont want to mess it up. Also what exactly should the recommended snubber lines be? I was thinking 3 strand dock lines but maybe theres something better?

Thanks again

That’s the 3 strand line at the bottom of the photo: eye splice in the end of each bridle (snubber) line. The soft shackle is lead through the two eyes and then through the looped ends of the webbing strap, then closed. Easy peasy. And with the webbing reasonable chafe resistant when the bridle rubs on the bottom in shallow anchorages.
Old 15-12-2019, 17:36   #7

I have been using a grab hook attached to the snubber bridle via a soft shackle. This can be a PITA as the grab hook does sometimes fall off as I am letting the chain out. I am switching to a grab hook with a gate, to prevent the hook from falling off. If I am dissatisfied with this option ($19 CAD) then I will fork out the extra money for a Mantus or similar chain grabber. Looks like this...https://www.amazon.com/ME-Clevis-Saf.../dp/B00AXKVSH6

ps I got this much cheaper than the Amazon version at Summit Tools in BC for a 3/8" Grade 70
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 17:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post

We’ve added a Dyneema climbing webbing loop
the webbing is a nice touch. It handles the bend at the chain-link better than the Dyneema cord. As you say would be easy to insert. And they are very reliable and inexpensive.
Old 16-12-2019, 09:13   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We use a stain steel hook - this was after 3 days on the hook on the south side of Crete with winds between 20-35 for 3 days without a break - the anchor held and the snubber just stretched and relaxed - the big surprise was the bend in the hook -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18 3 days of big winds on your anchor and the snubber did not break only strechted but the hook .JPG
Views:	222
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	205196  
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:05   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

After trying many various chain hooks I settled on simple rolling hitches. Easy to tie/untie, and have never had one slip under load.

My snubbers (dual, tied in a bridle fashion) are 30-feet long. I don't always use the full amount, but I think 15' is a bit too short.
Old 16-12-2019, 10:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We use a stain steel hook - this was after 3 days on the hook on the south side of Crete with winds between 20-35 for 3 days without a break - the anchor held and the snubber just stretched and relaxed - the big surprise was the bend in the hook -
The working load on the Wichard 100m version of that hook is only 1000kg, which is pretty low for snubber application.
Old 16-12-2019, 11:34   #12

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
That’s the 3 strand line at the bottom of the photo: eye splice in the end of each bridle (snubber) line. The soft shackle is lead through the two eyes and then through the looped ends of the webbing strap, then closed. Easy peasy. And with the webbing reasonable chafe resistant when the bridle rubs on the bottom in shallow anchorages.
Exactly!

On a monohull, you can even use a "Y" style snubber. The short ends attach to the bow cleats and the longer end to the chain, using the above method.

If you need to attach the snubber to the rope part of the anchor rode, you can make a dyneema continuous loop (https://youtu.be/xcoKeXAwBZY) and use the Prusik knot (https://www.animatedknots.com/prusik-knot) to attach the snubber to the anchor rope using the soft shackle. It works perfectly and it's easy to release.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 12:28   #13
rlg

Thank you all for the good info. I feel much more comfortable now. I think Ill start with 25 ft lines and use the rolling hitch to begin with and then proigress to the dyneema soft shackles. I like the prusik knot as well for tying onto nylon. Thanks again.
Old 16-12-2019, 18:23   #14

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Thank you all for the good info. I feel much more comfortable now. I think Ill start with 25 ft lines and use the rolling hitch to begin with and then proigress to the dyneema soft shackles. I like the prusik knot as well for tying onto nylon. Thanks again.
The dyneema endless loops and soft shackles are very easy to make yourself. There are many YouTube videos to guide you. With these two pieces you can attach your snubber with anchor rope or chain. I've used them in the S. Pacific on my ex Lagoon 450 (an aerodynamically floating brick) and I've seen my share of bad weather at anchor. It just works. After two seasons I ended up retiring the original anchor soft shackle because I felt sorry for it. I'm still using it for other things.

You can even use a long soft shackle to replace the endless loop and the shorter soft shackle. Make it long enough to do the Prusik knot and to attach to your snubber. Now, you have just one piece that works for anchor rope and chain. And, you can make it!

I'm sure there other options too. There always are...

I'll stick to what I've found to work until something better comes along for this use.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 21:34   #15

Just remember that anything made of Dyneema (aka UHMWPE) is slippery as and will slip on nylon or polyester lines even in a prussik or other friction knot. Even around chain it can slip - that’s why we go through a link.