Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2023, 11:55   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: solo anchoring technique

We’ll, I suppose, but as one of those who has been anchoring out there for over 40 years I can confirm it is the custom to anchor bow and stern in places like Fry’s, so that there is plenty of room for folks to fit in there. I have to confess I’d be disappointed going into Frys and seeing two boats on single hooks because that can end up monopolizing a good deal of space too. Given that you were there first I agree you had determined that others would have to follow your lead, or go elsewhere. But really anchoring bow and stern has other benefits in those small anchorages, even if no others show up. As you probably saw at Frys, the wind can come up and blow off the beach and/or the tidal current can oppose the breeze at night too.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 12:16   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A high density can be achieved when all boats are lying to a single anchor. What takes up space is when some boats are using multiple anchors and others are not. Therefore it is best to follow the lead of those who anchor first.

With the availability of modern anchors that have adequate holding ability and reset well to changing wind directions, the number of boats using multiple anchors is rapidly diminishing.

There are exceptions such as rivers or channels, but even here the better performance of large modern anchors makes anchoring at a short scope a good alternative. Overall but it is very rare worldwide to use multiple anchors. There are still small geographic locations that sometimes use two or more anchors, but these are diminishing as modern techniques become more widely adopted.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 12:32   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A high density can be achieved when all boats are lying to a single anchor. What takes up space is when some boats are using multiple anchors and others are not. Therefore it is best to follow the lead of those who anchor first.

With the availability of modern anchors that have adequate holding ability and reset well to changing wind directions, the number of boats using multiple anchors is rapidly diminishing. It is very rare these days.
Yes, I understand, but in the small anchorages, with high walls often, boats on single hooks often do not all swing the same way. Being able to be anchored (on 2 hooks) and not have to worry about any collisions or other issues in the wee hours certainly outweigh the hassle of a second anchor. I have seen a number of folks pull in and speak in hostile tones when they see others on 2 hooks, but I think if they gave it a try they’d really appreciate the difference! Maybe it’s because that’s what I grew up with, but I don’t really get the resistance to setting two hooks.
I doubt I’ll convince many though.
Old 28-10-2023, 12:48   #49

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
We’ll, I suppose, but as one of those who has been anchoring out there for over 40 years I can confirm it is the custom to anchor bow and stern in places like Fry’s, so that there is plenty of room for folks to fit in there. I have to confess I’d be disappointed going into Frys and seeing two boats on single hooks because that can end up monopolizing a good deal of space too. Given that you were there first I agree you had determined that others would have to follow your lead, or go elsewhere. But really anchoring bow and stern has other benefits in those small anchorages, even if no others show up. As you probably saw at Frys, the wind can come up and blow off the beach and/or the tidal current can oppose the breeze at night too.
Yes, I know it's local custom/culture. We were three boats traveling together each on single hook there for two nights. There was room for the powerboat to lay on a single hook. It was calm. We were leaving the next day anyway. It was not a matter of leaving available space, at least for him, and he knew it.

Putting down a stern anchor and especially getting it up is more troublesome for the larger sailboats than the smaller ones, IMO. They are not really set up for it much of the time. They do not all carry dinghy davits, and may not be towing the dink. If it's stowed on deck (as in coming from down from the Potato Patch), it takes a while to get it deployed, etc., all for the want of setting a "good citizen" stern hook which in the skipper's view is not needed for comfort, safety, or to make space available. Best just to respect the rules or move on, in my opinion. Yachts coming from British Columbia and going to San Diego for the HaHa stop at these islands. They might not know the "local customs" arriving there. But they probably know maritime rules/laws.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 13:00   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

People sometimes treat anchoring like parking a car. If the boat does not move they believe the fault of any collision must belong to the other boat. Setting multiple anchors is more likely to achieve a relatively stationary position.

This is not correct. If you follow the lead of other boats, as you should do, and anchor in a similar manner, you will swing in a similar way. This will minimise the risk of collision far more than fixing the boat in the one position.

If your neighbours are using multiple anchors it is sensible to follow suit, but this is becoming very rare these days. Boats sitting to multiple anchors while their neighbours are only using a single anchor is a recipe for disaster.
Old 28-10-2023, 13:22   #51

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have frequently used a second anchor just for the scenario where a windshift is expected and the second anchor will prevent me from swinging off with the other boats. There's a place I frequently anchor where I am typically downwind of most if not all the other boats, so I put a hook off the stern when a norther is coming through. When the wind shifts all the other boats swing away downwind, often in a tangle as several anchors pop loose. Meanwhile, I am happily at anchor now well to windward of everyone, hanging on my second anchor and out of the mele downwind. Also, when anchoring in tidal swept creeks in the Carolinas, and sometimes in the Bahamas, there are situations where you simply can't swing too far or you will be aground or on top of a dock or something else. Having a lighter second anchor ready to deploy via dinghy can be super useful too. Kedging off when aground, a side anchor to hold you off a dock in a blow, sometimes off the bow just to limit your boat's veering about at anchor, etc.
Old 28-10-2023, 13:56   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interestingly, the first and only boat I have seen using multiple anchors in the last few years of full time anchoring was only a few weeks ago.

A hurricane was forecast. I felt the hurricane was a comfortable distance away. We would likely experience little effect, but a neighbour elected to deploy a second anchor.

I had already dived on their primary Vulcan anchor and it was well set. They elected to deploy a second anchor on all rope rode as the storm approached (I never saw this second anchor underwater).

This was not an issue. Despite our disparate anchor arrangements, the swing circles were never going to be an issue even with their multiple anchors and with a nearby tropical system that could generate winds from an unusual direction.

I doubt this second anchor was doing much, but the bottom line is if there is plenty of room to anchor and you are not going to interfere with your neighbours, do whatever you wish. It is only when you may interfere with boats already anchored that you need to consider your neighbours and possibly modify how you anchor.
Old 28-10-2023, 14:18   #53

The bow-and-stern anchor culture of the northern Channel Islands may have been influenced by Professor Fagan's (UC Santa Barbara) publications (guides to Southern California boating) who repeatably suggests laying a stern hook in the anchorages of San Cruz Island, among other places. In fairness, that is a good suggestion if one is seeking shelter from strong wind and sea behind a rock or wall where you wish to be close under its lee and not risk swinging on the shoals with a change of wind. Normally, here is a light east wind in the early morning there that could set a boat onto the shoals if anchored close for shelter from a west wind during the night. But Professor Fagan's boat was a Contessa 26. He's also a "lay lots of scope" advocate. (Upwards of 10:1.) Yes. The above would be the "proper use" of the stern hook. But I see skippers moored (bow and stern anchored) distant from shelter and shore; I honestly cannot see why. Sometimes they can be an obstacle to others for moving about the anchorage. And it does not really help that much for mitigating the rocking that one experiences out there.

If I arrive and the anchorage is full of moored boats and I wish to be among them, I put down a stern hook too. Most of time if I'm there and a new boat arrives and wishes to moor, the skipper will keep the necessary distance from me. But ever so often one comes in, sees me on a single hook and then wishes to "negotiate" my putting out a stern line so he can anchor close to the "good spot" where I am. (Oh, b/c I'm hogging the good part of the anchorage! Sorry, I did not know that YOU were coming.) There's no need to deploy one except to "accommodate" the newcomer. Some boaters may like doing this for their "neighbors"; I can't say that I particularly like doing it. I certainly would not deploy my dink from the foredeck just to do that, especially if I'm leaving the next day. Typically, mooring my 39-footer is a lot of extra work for usually no evident "need."
Old 28-10-2023, 15:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
I can't say that I particularly like doing it. I certainly would not deploy my dink from the foredeck just to do that, especially if I'm leaving the next day. Typically, mooring my 39-footer is a lot of extra work for usually no evident "need."

And yes, I know that there are other ways, techniques, for setting and recovering a stern hook that do not require launching one's dinghy. I've tried them all. It mostly depends on where you are laying as to how much difficulty might be involved, if even possible and safe to apply. Nothing IMO is easier than laying to a single bower close to shelter when needed, but not too close to swing onto the shoals with a change of wind direction. If I get there first, then I should be able to do that w/o hassling. I don't come that often.
Old 28-10-2023, 18:01   #55

Quote:
And yes, I know that there are other ways, techniques, for setting and recovering a stern hook that do not require launching one's dinghy. I've tried them all. It mostly depends on where you are laying as to how much difficulty might be involved, if even possible and safe to apply. Nothing IMO is easier than laying to a single bower close to shelter when needed, but not too close to swing onto the shoals with a change of wind direction. If I get there first, then I should be able to do that w/o hassling. I don't come that often.
I am sure you are one of many who find the 2 anchor custom annoying, but surely it developed to help accommodate as many folks as possible in the myriad small anchorages long before Brian Fagan wrote his guide. But also as I mentioned, in many small anchorages, the tidal currents and wind does not apply consistently to all boats at all hours. They just don't always swing the same way! I have seen 2 boats that were side by side be actually pushed apart in opposite directions by a tidal current once. And it is nice to keep the boat pointed into the swell even when the early morning breeze pulls you the other way. I will admit to being one of those in the enormous anchorages like Becher's Bay and Forney Cove with bow and stern hooks out! I do it just to keep the bow into the swell, and there is plenty of room for a lot of other boats to anchor any way they please. But I hardly see any folks out there! The occasional fishing boats that pull in for the night almost never set a stern hook.
It really is easy to work things out IMO without causing too much irritation. In many cases there is just not that much room to swing anyway so that those on 2 hooks can anchor in close to shore while those on one are farther out. In any case, if we ever meet up out there I am sure we can work it out!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-10-2023, 07:13   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am sure you are one of many who find the 2 anchor custom annoying, but surely it developed to help accommodate as many folks as possible in the myriad small anchorages long before Brian Fagan wrote his guide!
Although not a boat owner then myself, the 1970’s I think saw some of the highest participation rates in boating and sailing of the past 50 yr, especially at the “entry levels” of boat ownership. That is, when the “Boomer” generation arrived to the scene. I can envision many club, and other group, weekend sail outs to Santa Cruz Island and Catalina Island anchorages. Organizers no doubt wished to insure accessibility to the anchorages using mooring (i.e., bow-stern anchoring) to fit “all comers” into the anchorage. (Catalina is fixed that way now of course with permanent bow-stern mooring cans in all of its coves). So, yes. It is the culture of the area with likely a 50-yr history that has extended to solitary use of anchorages by many boaters as a matter of how fundamentally to anchor at Santa Cruz Island, IMO.
Old 29-10-2023, 07:27   #57

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Interesting. So in the end, they were not over your anchor when you were up short for recovery. I suppose I would have gone up and pointed out the anchor’s location. You don’t say if 20 ft from the bow or stern.
I disagree that they were not over my anchor. 20 feet is too close for comfort and a boat at anchor can swing over a radius of 50 feet or so with minimal wind and current. This boat was definitely over my anchor while we shared the anchorage and it was just lucky that there was enough room for me to raise anchor without needing to move their boat.

As I mentioned in my story, my BOW was 20 feet from their boat (port beam, to be exact) when we pulled up on our anchor.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 10:30   #58

Quote:
Although not a boat owner then myself, the 1970’s I think saw some of the highest participation rates in boating and sailing of the past 50 yr, especially at the “entry levels” of boat ownership. That is, when the “Boomer” generation arrived to the scene. I can envision many club, and other group, weekend sail outs to Santa Cruz Island and Catalina Island anchorages. Organizers no doubt wished to insure accessibility to the anchorages using mooring (i.e., bow-stern anchoring) to fit “all comers” into the anchorage. (Catalina is fixed that way now of course with permanent bow-stern mooring cans in all of its coves). So, yes. It is the culture of the area with likely a 50-yr history that has extended to solitary use of anchorages by many boaters as a matter of how fundamentally to anchor at Santa Cruz Island, IMO.
Yes, I was out there in the 70's and there would be big groups, but they usually rafted up! I remember one 4th of July when the anchorage you were in, Fry's, had about 15 powerboats and sailboats rafted up! But I think the custom, not so much a culture, developed because there are a few anchorages where there just isn't much room to swing, with suitable scope, for even one boat. And I think it is more a matter of courtesy, to give late-comers a better chance to have a place if they come in late and nearby anchorages are too crowded. But then, many of the anchorages just lend themselves to anchoring bow and stern for better protection. I remember meeting a gentleman there at Fry's on his third circumnavigation, in a boat he built himself, who had anchored close in and against the cliff, with two hooks of course, and he had been the first one in.

But, in any case, if you are there first, on one hook, I agree that others coming in later must follow your lead or be clearly out of your swing circle. Personally I would not consider asking someone to drop a stern hook for me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-10-2023, 11:35   #59

Bow-stern anchoring is not commonly seen south of Pt Dume. Because of the Catalina Island mooring fields, there is not much anchoring here near Long Beach to begin with, the only places being in urban anchorages such as at Cabrillo Beach in LA Harbor, Lido Key in Newport Harbor, Dana Pt, and La Playa in San Diego Bay, or at Santa Barbara Island. The urbans too are small areas but the boats do not resort to stern anchors unless making a major raft. At La Playa, one needs a “reservation”, which is how boat density is controlled there.

Most folks (skippers and crews) visiting Santa Cruz Island anchorages for the first, even second, time from here are likely unprepared to moor on bow and stern anchors. They have little familiarity with setting a stern anchor, boat not rigged for chain going over the transom, inadequate ground tackle aboard, or have trouble positioning among the other (moored) boats. So they stay clear of the moored boats. In practical terms, that means they are further out from the shelter that the anchorage should provide. And, on certain nights, get “clobbered” (i.e., extensive rocking) by incoming swell. Or, they favor the larger anchorages (open roadsteads) such as Smugglers, maybe Prisoners. Result—some not very flattering reports for cruises heading to Santa Cruz Island, or the other islands. And it’s a shame. Such a wild and beautiful cruising venue. The local anchoring culture may be good for the locals, but I see it as not so accommodating to many cruisers visiting from further south, or transients, when encounters occur.
Old 29-10-2023, 13:18   #60

Well I don’t really see how the custom has restricted anyone from enjoying the islands. Indeed if folks don’t mind rigging a stern anchor, which the guide book recommends, then even more people will fit safely and comfortably closer to shore in the smaller anchorages. Smugglers, scorpion, prisoners, Cueva, Forney, and all on the back side except Willows perhaps, all have plenty of room for any kind of anchoring by many people, but as you say are not as well protected.
It seems you are suggesting we abandon the habit of setting two hooks so that more non-locals can enjoy the islands and not be left out. The habit in no way tries to limit or exclude anyone. On the contrary it ensures more folks can enjoy the smaller anchorages in greater comfort and security.
If I were going out with someone on their boat and they only had a bow anchor I’d say, fine but that will restrict your anchorage choices only because anchoring closer in may make your swing circle put you on some rocks. But as it stands there are many folks already out there with only a bow anchor and they seem to be ok with anchoring a little farther out. It’s really only Frys that leaves folks on the outside a little more exposed, and actually, for the offshore wind that often blows at night, which is the greater concern there, they are no more exposed, but they will need more rode out for an appropriate scope.
Anyway, I don’t mean to hijack this thread. Since it is anchoring related I think it will remain of interest to the OP.

Tags
anchor, anchoring