Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2022, 14:35   #46

Re: Some thoughts on my Sarca Excel #9

Did anyone tried the aluminum Excel? I am waiting a new FP Elba 45 and I want the best anchor I can get my hand on. This is going to be my home for the next several years (I hope) and I am planning to be on anchor the majority of the times. I would go with the largest size I can fit, and the idea of saving weight with the aluminum is very appealing although I doubt the digging power in comparison to the steel one. I believe gravity does help the anchor to dig. Any one has experience with that?
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 19:20   #47

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I wanted an aluminum disassembleable anchor as a backup. Unfortunately, Anchor Right doesn't make an aluminum Excel larger than the #8, which is the equivalent size as the steel #8 which is 40kg.

I wanted something closer in size to my primary, which at the time was the Excel #9 (50kg), so I ended up buying the aluminum Spade A200 which is the equivalent size as Spade's 55kg S200. This seems appropriate since my new anchor is the 55kg Vulcan, which I will be trying for the first time on Saturday.

That being said, I haven't yet tried the aluminum Spade, but I think Steve's excellent test videos give a pretty good picture of how the aluminum Spade and Excel performs. They don't have the setting performance of the steel versions, so you have to use a bit more technique to get them to set, but once they do they perform very well in holding strength and veering. What you'll lose is initial setting, and probably violent 180 degree reset performance.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 19:40   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
Did anyone tried the aluminum Excel? I am waiting a new FP Elba 45 and I want the best anchor I can get my hand on. This is going to be my home for the next several years (I hope) and I am planning to be on anchor the majority of the times. I would go with the largest size I can fit, and the idea of saving weight with the aluminum is very appealing although I doubt the digging power in comparison to the steel one. I believe gravity does help the anchor to dig. Any one has experience with that?
I’ll be the first to tell you weight does play a role in setting so the aluminum version will take a little longer to set, particularly true in harder bottoms. Also, if your using it full time, anchoring every night, it’s not going to have the longevity of a steel anchor. Having said that, if you want a lightweight anchor it’s very well made and
effective.
Old 28-06-2022, 05:13   #49

Thank you for your opinion. I am ditching the idea of saving weight on an anchor and will look for the heaviest anchor I could fit
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 05:14   #50

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
Thank you for your opinion. I am ditching the idea of saving weight on an anchor and will look for the heaviest anchor I could fit

Saving weight is good for a stern anchor, backup anchor, etc. where you're likely to have to hand launch it or move it around the boat. But for a primary, I'd go for performance over weight unless you're in a really weight sensitive situation.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc