Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2020, 13:50   #1

Spade Anchor Size for Bluewater Cruising

We're looking to upgrade our 45lb (20kg) CQR to a Spade and seeking advice on the appropriate size. The boat is a Warrior 40, 40ft (12m) long and 10tons (22,000lb) empty, and around 13 tons, (29,600lb) fully loaded. Planning extended cruising on an Atlantic circuit or potentially further afield but not high latitudes. Currently undecided between the S120 (25kg) or the S140 (30kg) for added piece of mind, but would welcome advice from others who've used a Spade on extended Bluewater cruising on what size they would recommend.

Cheers,

Bruce
Brucekav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:07   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Spade Anchor Size for Bluewater Cruising

As long as it fits well, I'd go with the S140. It's not a big cost increase and not a lot of extra weight in the grand scheme of things. Having a bit of extra margin for error is certainly not a bad thing when you end up somewhere with a crappy bottom or limited swing room.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 16:03   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Great choice! I love our spade anchor.
According to the sizing chart, either will work just fine, however the added peace of mind of being one size up is worth it. As long as it fits on the roller, the added cost and weight is minimal.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 16:27   #4

Boat: between boats

We had a 20kg spade on our 9t loaded 42 foot cat. In 5 years only let us down once but in a notoriously bad anchorage. The 25 would be ample for what you are planning imho and recovering a fouled 25 is substantially easier than a 30 to give the other side of the weight argument.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 00:08   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If the larger anchor can be managed comfortably and fits well, I would recommend the S140 option.

These two models are close in size so the extra holding power is only around 20% greater in this case, but a larger anchor will give you the ability to safely overnight in less suitable locations and at slightly shorter scope than would otherwise be prudent.

These are valuable advantages for a bluewater cruising boat.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 00:24   #6

Is there a reason you want to change from a CQR to Spade? We went long distance sailig, six years 10,000 nms, and used a CQR with no problems. Except if there coral hidden under the sand so no anchor will set.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 00:57   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

Don’t know of anybody who said “I wish we had a smaller anchor “
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:27   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cobbe View Post
Is there a reason you want to change from a CQR to Spade? We went long distance sailig, six years 10,000 nms, and used a CQR with no problems. Except if there coral hidden under the sand so no anchor will set.

I hate CQRs personally , every time I dive then they are lying on their side !
Old 11-11-2020, 09:57   #9

Best discussion I have seen on anchors and blue water cruising is Attainable Adventure Cruising. Website has great info on every conceivable topic - long discussion of anchors and anchoring including the Spade.
rha9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:04   #10

Anchor for Bluewater Cruising seems like an oxymoron. You're not anchoring in the 'Blue Water'. What makes an anchorage a 'Blue Water' anchorage?

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:46   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

We have changed 25Kg Delta to 30Kg Spade and are very satisfied.
If you have reliable windlass and adequate space on the bow-roller, do not hesitate. Go for the larger one (maybe keep the old one as kedge)
Old 11-11-2020, 10:51   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Anchor for Bluewater Cruising seems like an oxymoron. You're not anchoring in the 'Blue Water'. What makes an anchorage a 'Blue Water' anchorage?
It is a confusing term. Of course anchoring in “Bluewater” is not possible.

To me “Bluewater cruising” implies visiting many different geographic locations. From an anchoring perspective this means the primary anchor should be able to cope with many different substrates and anchoring situations.

In some locations the substrates are predominantly soft mud, in others hard sand or perhaps weed. Some areas have crowded anchorages where short scope performance is important, others have strong reversing currents where an anchor design that can shuffle reliably is vital. Some areas have predominantly shallow anchorages, others are typically very deep, etc etc.

Sailors that confine their cruising ground to a limited area can select primary anchoring equipment that optimises the particular conditions they are likely to encounter. ‘Bluewater cruising” boats do not have this luxury. Typically they may not spend enough time in any one area to gain local knowledge about the conditions and substrates in locations where they anchor. In addition, without a home marina or mooring they are more likely to encounter more severe conditions at anchor. As a “Bluewater cruising” boat we anchor almost 365 days a year, sometimes in severe conditions where local boats are likely to be in a marina or on their home mooring.

This is not to imply that local cruising is in any way inferior, or less enjoyable, but I think it is important to understand that if you intend “Bluewater cruising” then top notch anchoring gear that can cope reliably with a large range of substrates is a great advantage. Choosing an anchor that is large as can comfortably be managed is an important part of this equation.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:10   #13

Thanks Nolex. I was being a bit facetious. But you're making my point. An 'all around' anchor effective in a variety of bottom types. You anchor on the east coast of the US and coastal cruise from the rocky shores of Maine, to the mud of the Chesapeake Bay to the sands of Florida and still not be Bluewater and still have the same requirement for versatility.

It's a commentary at the idea that everything needs to be 'Blue Water', even in examples where Blue Water has nothing to do with it. Next we'll have best dishware for Blue Water cruising.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 13:05   #14

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

We use a s140 on a 46’ 35k lb boat and it’s always held well. I would always go one or two sizes over the recommended assuming it fits your bow roller, which would put you in the S140 range. Go as large as you can reasonable do so.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 13:22   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dishware for Blue Water Cruising? Bounty paper towels? LOL

We have a 20 ton boat. The 35 pound CQR it came with was a joke. Went to a 30 pound Spade because of the anchor roller situation and it did OK. I did have one spot where it would not set period. After talking to some locals it seems that particular spot was soft mud on a rock shelf. No one could anchor there.

None the less, when I replaced my sprit I went WAY up to a 125 pound Mantus as primary. And I keep the Spade as a mounted spare. Last year we lost the Mantus in a storm (got it back), and reanchored in a calmer location with the Spade which held well. Another time I had to stern anchor and used the Spade for that and it held.

I agree with others, get as large as you reasonably can.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Bluewater, cruising, size, water