Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 22:22   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: Spade Anchors first Black Friday Sale!

For reference,
#5 Excel 22k/48lbs is $745.35 cdn = $552.38 usd.
There is an online shipping calculator.
We live in Canada, what is this black friday thing you speak of?
ce
Old 25-11-2016, 01:15   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was posted up above:

"For reference,
#5 Excel 22k/48lbs is $745.35 cdn = $552.38 usd.
There is an online shipping calculator. "

My POV?

After watching PANOPE's excellent anchor test setting videos, I think the Spade and Sarca Excel are both very good New Generation anchors that provide superior initial setting and important resetting results compared to older anchor designs.

I am personally "brand neutral" .

I have neither brand anchor (yet) nor any loyalty to another brand. But, as a consumer I look at these carefully as an important item on my own wish list for sailing gear.

Being curious, I used the online shipping calculator referenced above on the linked website I visited.

The #5 22kg/48lb Excel anchor is listed at $735.35 CDN = $552.38 USD

The Shipping to Dallas Texas via UPS ground is calculated to be $140 CDN

So...

$745.35 CDN + $140 CDN = $885.35 CDN = $656.70 USD

So...

It would cost me (in Texas) $656.70 USD for that Excel anchor mentioned earlier.

The Value of Free Shipping

For any heavy or bulky items I buy, I think the actual shipping cost has to be considered as part of the total cost to me, the consumer. So, "Free Shipping" does have appeal or value, especially on heavy or bulky items, and can be a significant factor in a special sale, helping to "make the sale."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:20   #18

Can't say I am super brand oriented. The reality is that just about any new generation anchor will perform as good as any other on any given day in any given anchorage. To see people splitting hairs over anchor performance without consideration of price always gives me a laugh. Is one new generation anchor worth TWICE the cost of another? Probably not.

One thing is for sure, $140 CDN shipping? For a piece of anchor shaped steel? Ouch! Good point Steady.

I was curious and had to go look at what I paid. I bought my anchor from Greg at Mantus around boat show time last year. Even though I wasn't anywhere near the boat show Greg gave me the 15% boat show discount so that my cost for the 44lbs anchor was $335 and the shipping from TX to NY was $35 which was less than a buck a pound.

Of course Steady, Mantus is based in Texas. You could go pick up an anchor in person if you wanted. Greg is a super nice guy and I think worth meeting.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:30   #19

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I note that many boats rarely anchor out and spend most of their night tied up to a marina slip. In that case the odds are that the boat will never be put at risk by its inferior anchor setup. But if a particular boat is frequently over-nighting at anchor in varying conditions, that boat should have the best possible ground tackle on its bow.

How much is your boat worth?

Saving a couple of hundred bucks on a second rate anchor seems like false economy to me.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:33   #20
Marine Service Provider

Spade Anchor will be offering 25% off to Cruisers Forum Members Only!

Free Shipping to the 48 Continental States!

Discount is available on Anchors, Skrews, and Moorings.

This is a strict 24 hour sale. Ends Midnight 11/25/2016. No time extensions will be allowed.

Please call or email to redeem offer.
321-409-5714
Alex@SpadeAnchorUSA.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 combo lableled.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	136885   Click image for larger version

Name:	text at top.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	136886  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power-Ball-Swivel edit.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	136887  
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:39   #21

DETAILS WILL BE RELEASED TOMORROW, stay tuned!

Anyway, Black Friday has been in full swing around the country for 7-1/2 hours already and no word yet from Spade? Not exactly confidence building. 16-1/2 hours remaining in a 24 hour only sale and the OP is AWOL? Fail.

Edit- Hey 25% off that's great!!! But still, why call it a strict 24 hour sale when you are almost eight hours late releasing the details?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:54   #22

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Hey folks, enough with the pissing and moaning. Buy one or don't buy one but get over it. I do own a Spade, paid lots of money ... but the fabrication is a work of art. Is a Ferrari or Lambo ridiculously priced versus a Corvette ??? Absolutely when considering the marginal benefits but people still covet Ferraris and Lambos. I sleep at night on my anchor and marginal benefits are what keep me safe. IMHO, YMMV, yada yada.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 06:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Can't say I am super brand oriented. The reality is that just about any new generation anchor will perform as good as any other on any given day in any given anchorage. To see people splitting hairs over anchor performance without consideration of price always gives me a laugh. Is one new generation anchor worth TWICE the cost of another? Probably not.

One thing is for sure, $140 CDN shipping? For a piece of anchor shaped steel? Ouch! Good point Steady.

I was curious and had to go look at what I paid. I bought my anchor from Greg at Mantus around boat show time last year. Even though I wasn't anywhere near the boat show Greg gave me the 15% boat show discount so that my cost for the 44lbs anchor was $335 and the shipping from TX to NY was $35 which was less than a buck a pound.

Of course Steady, Mantus is based in Texas. You could go pick up an anchor in person if you wanted. Greg is a super nice guy and I think worth meeting.

Driving to pick up an anchor is not cost effective here in Texas, where distances can be HUGE.

And that is not only "gas" cost, as there is time too. It can take 4 hours or more to drive ONE WAY from Dallas to Houston, Kemah, or San Antonio.

Of course if one lives in the same city, it may make sense. But, I would assume not in most cases (for most CF members) and so think ground Shipping is a valid concern for most people.

I have read good things about each of the anchor vendors, so I am sure I would enjoy meeting any of them.
Old 25-11-2016, 06:17   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

25% off is great! I wish I already had my next boat picked out so I could buy the right size spade ahead of time. Oh well, still getting a spade when the time comes just might pay a little more for it later.
Old 25-11-2016, 06:27   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Because I am curious, I did some calculations:

The Spade Model 100 (44lb) Anchor (Galvanized Steel) list price = $766 USD

With Black Friday Discount (25% off)?

$756 x .75 = $567

Savings on Black Friday = $189 + Free Shipping to 48 States

As mentioned up above, the shipping cost can be significant, so "Free Shipping" can make a difference.

So, the Spade Model 100 would cost CF Members a total of $567 USD on Black Friday and that includes Free Shipping to 48 states in USA.

My POV?

What I also like about a discount or sale like this is that it applies to many products, not just one or one size. That gives a consumer some flexibility.

_________

Since I did calculate the cost of the Excel anchor up above, I think it is only fair to show how that compares in cost today too:

Today Only (Black Friday)

Excel = $656.70 Shipped to Dallas Texas

Spade = $567 Shipped to Dallas Texas

Difference = $89.70
Old 25-11-2016, 07:24   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

25% is great. Thank you Spade!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:54   #27
Marine Service Provider

Orders are getting Hectic. Please Call or email to order. 321-409-5714. All orders will ship out this Monday via FedEx Ground. Typically 2-3 days for delivery.

Most dealers do not receive this large of a discount!
Old 25-11-2016, 07:56   #28
Marine Service Provider

If your hesitate to purchase we are allowing down payments of 20% to "lock in the discounted price".

Again this is for 24 hours only, as any longer than that my head will more than likely explode.
Old 25-11-2016, 08:54   #29

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
I bought the Spade 120s for my Cal-40. Yes, it was in some ways overpriced when I look at the price of the others but this anchor has never failed. It's my primary anchor and I have used it now 1.5 world circumnavigation. I spend almost all time on the hook an not in a marina. The only down side is that the funky curve in the stock required me to make modifications to the bow roller system to secure the anchor once on deck so if you want to buy one make sure it will work on your vessel. So I paid a bit more for this anchor but...... When the wind kicks up at night I sleep well having something down there I know I can trust.
Siberian Sea, thank you for the good review!

I have researched anchors until I was sick of them. The spade seams to edge out the others by review. So last week I bought one from Fisheries Supply. I got a 10% discount for being a Good Old Boat subscriber and they gave me FREE! shipping. only charged me $15 over size fee.

so the model SPA-S100 44lb Spade for $740.00 +$15 = $755.00 delivered.

I've used a lot of different anchors and have had all of them drag at some point. I am only hopeful the Spade will drag less!

Just read the earlier posts: Story of my life! thought I was getting a deal and BAM! missed a deal of the year!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 10:33   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The free shipping, is very significant, anchor I got this Summer I think I paid a couple hundred bucks shipping, and that was to a Commercial address with loading dock and fork lift
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, sale