Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 11:23   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Spectra as rode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
As long as you intend to use a good nylon snubber that is long enough (20-30ft), there's no problem having the rest of a rope rode non-stretch....
How do you attach a snubber to a Dyneema rode? In my experience, Dyneema is too slippery for gripper hitches to hold. In this case, with 1-inch line, it might hold enough, and the rode would be cleated.

This has historically been a problem when using Dyneema for prusik slings. You really need some polyester in there to add friction.
Old 22-06-2019, 12:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstone bay View Post
Spectra is non-stretch, I believe? In which case, the answer is No, NO, FECKING NO!! Spectra is completely unsatisfactory as an anchor or mooring line. ALL mooring or anchoring lines MUST have stretch available - that's why some 8-plait is called "Anchorplait" or similar. (But you wouldn't use it for a halliard or a spinnaker guy (brace to our cousins!) just because it does stretch).

hmmm . . . just note that the 'standard' cruising main anchor rode - 100m of chain - is in fact ALSO non-stretch!

And the standard solution is a nylon snubber.

And the OP says they have a solution for using a similar snubber on the Dyneema (in post 5)
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 12:24   #18

Thinwater,

I agree the attachment is a challenge. I was just addressing the stretch issue. But if the OP will only be using the spectra part of the rode rarely in very deep water, it might be easiest to just have a long piece of spectra with an eye splice at the end. When you need it, let it all out. Then attach the eye to a stretchy snubber and a second line with the strength of the chain should the snubber fail. In splicing the spectra to the chain, he should also do the kind of chain splice where it wraps back on the line like an eye splice not the kind where the line braids through the chain links as I bet that would slip with dyneema
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode