Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2023, 09:46   #1

Splicing 4-strand

Does anyone have instructions for making a long splice in four-strand rope? Neither Sampson nor New England have info on their web sites and what little I see on YouTube is difficult to follow.
Thanks...
Bry
bcripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:53   #2

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender
Re: Splicing 4-strand

Animated Knots on YouTube is usually very good. Did your search results include that channel?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 19:20   #3

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I would think it is done exactly like a 3 strand long splice except that there is one more strand.

You just lay the strand from one rope end in the groove (I'm sure there is a proper name for this space) made by lifting the relevant strand of the other end, being sure to widely stagger the merging of each of the 4 strands.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:47   #4

Thanks guys,
Yes, Animated Knots is very good but I don't see anything dealing with 4-strand rope.
When splicing 3-strand, your first tuck is the middle strand. With 4-strand, there is no middle strand so where do you start? One video for an eye splice on YouTube starts by tucking two strands, together, under a lay of the standing section of rope, but then what? It's not very clear how to proceed. And is the splice the same for an eye as it is for a long splice. I need the latter.
Any further ideas would be appreciated and helpful.
Bry
Old 12-06-2023, 06:54   #5

This is curiosity, not criticism.

What is the 4 strand made of?

is it braided or twisted?

Why 4 strand? It's fairly uncommon, as evidenced by lack of splicing instructions by the major rope companies. What is it doing that the other, more common options, can't or won't do??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:57   #6

Boat: Farr 43`

https://www.premiumropes.com/splicin...ruction-videos

Only an eye splice on this page. Additional 8 strand splices in the app download at the bottom of the page.

P.S. 8 strand is four pairs woven in opposite directions reducing twisting under load whilst allowing stretch.
The line easier to handle.
The smother multi strand surface resists chaffing better than 3 strand.
Rucksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 05:42   #7

There may be some value, Rucksta, in the eight strand polyester eye splice video but it is hard to follow. I guess I'll just have to try it, treating his double strands as single ones and see if I can make it work.
Shrew, the line is polyester I think, and it is twist, or what I call laid line. It was the only ¾ inch line I could find in this remote area.
Once again, thank you for your ideas and suggestions.
Bry
Old 13-06-2023, 08:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripps View Post
Shrew, the line is polyester I think, and it is twist, or what I call laid line. It was the only ¾ inch line I could find in this remote area.
Ug, that's why I was curious. I was assuming that braided would be similar to 8-plait, since 8-plait is really spliced with 4-pairs. But twisted.....I assume you follow the same instructions as 3 strand, but adding a 4th strand in the sequence.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 09:41   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripps View Post
There may be some value, Rucksta, in the eight strand polyester eye splice video but it is hard to follow. I guess I'll just have to try it, treating his double strands as single ones and see if I can make it work.
Once again, thank you for your ideas and suggestions.
Bry
Hi bcripps
Is your 4 strand twisted (like 3 strand) or braided (like 8 strand that has 4 braided pairs?)

If your 4 strand is twisted, as in the image below, splicing instructions for 8 strand are not applicable.

SWL

Edited to add: I see from your last post that your line is twisted. Forget about 8 strand instructions (until you have some octoplait ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71010DA9-5B4C-4CCA-9F7D-5508BD96CE18.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	276659  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2023, 06:34   #10

Yeah, this stuff looks exactly like 3-strand twist. It's not until you unravel an end that you realize you got more than you bargained for. I tried to contact Samson Ropes but they won't accept my e-mail address. Go figure.
Old 15-06-2023, 19:09   #11

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I stand by what I said in post #3.

I believe a long splice in 4 strand would be done like one in three strand, plus you have one more strand to handle the same way. You would just need to make sure you stagger the mating of each of now 4 strands. You do "waste" more rope with a long splice.

You speak of an eyesplice in discussing about a long splice. There is no similarity at all between the two. Perhaps you are thinking about a short splice? That is similar to an eye splice.

Here's a video of the long splice:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...lice&FORM=VDRE
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 05:33   #12

Thank you, ggray...
With 3-strand, your first tuck is the middle strand. With 4-stand, there is no middle strand so do you start with strand 1 or 2 or does it matter?
Bry
Old 20-06-2023, 07:58   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi bcripps

Here is a YouTube link with instructions on how to splice 4 strand twisted rope:
https://youtu.be/Auci3l-de94

He starts and proceeds sequentially rather than starting with an unravelled “middle” strand. The start will probably not look the prettiest, but I think it is not critical otherwise. From there the tucking is just the standard “one over one under” for each strand.

If you need maximum strength, follow the path of each strand initially and tuck it under itself. Or just increase the number of tucks.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 08:07   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is curiosity, not criticism.

What is the 4 strand made of?

is it braided or twisted?

Why 4 strand? It's fairly uncommon, as evidenced by lack of splicing instructions by the major rope companies. What is it doing that the other, more common options, can't or won't do??
Yes! And where did you get it?

I splice three strand by reverse braiding the tail into the body of the line. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work unless the fourth strand is central.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 11:02   #15

Okay... I did the splice. A couple of miss-steps along the way but the video really helped. (Thank you, Lass. ) I hadn't come across that one in my online search but was glad to get it and downloaded the video to my files. I started with the outside, right-hand strand, and turning the line clockwise, worked my way around.
The final result is pretty good for a first effort but a little loose where the two lines join. I'll take a small fid and work through the tucks, tightening strand by strand, and it will be fine.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out... much appreciated...
Bry